Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2008, 13:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
Recommendations on dinghy?

Did some searching on the archives and did not fine much.

I am looking for a small RIB about 10' and a 9.9-15hp outboard combo. I would like to stay close to 3K total, Can any one recommend an online vendor who may be able to help.

At list price a Honda outboard or an AB RIB could cost more then 3K so I would really like to get that price down.
Old 14-07-2008, 13:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
At list price a Honda outboard or an AB RIB could cost more then 3K so I would really like to get that price down.
Off hand I would agree with your target choice. I think the general idea of what you want is a good one.

AB Ribs are priced pretty well compared to other Hypolon boats. Honda engines are up there due to Yen / Dollar relationships as well as high demand. Honda products are not heavily discounted any place but some may have slightly better deals. They hold value well too. Honda rates their power different than most other vendors so you may find a smaller Honda delivers more power with a lower HP number than others listed higher.

The alternative might be to find a cheaper mass produced 4 cycle engine that could be far easier to self maintain but may be less perform ace and featured with higher weight. I wouldn't be inclined to go with a lower quality boat. Buying used would lower the cost of both greatly.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 14:04   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hard to get a better dink than an AB and their prices aren't that bad. There's no way you'll get dink and motor for 3K unless they're used. Sometimes Defender has good buys on RIBs at the end of the season.
Old 14-07-2008, 15:35   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
What about the Nissan- Tahtsu outboards, cost 50% less then Honda, are they half as good?

I have heard that Yamaha is the brand you see most wile cursing and they may be some what simpler to find parts for.
Old 14-07-2008, 16:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Price is not the full story. 2 cycle engines pollute more but are easy to work on. The oil is added to the fuel but the lubrication is poorer than a 4 cycle. A 4 cycle has a lot of performance advantages and uses it's own oil like your main engine but is more complex to work on. 2 cycle is still easier to find parts for, they weigh less and can be user serviced.

One thing is the power ratings on a Honda are not similar especially on the smallest engines. Personally the Honda's are very nice engines and well built. The trade offs are not easy to say one is better but there are service issues with the newer style engines. if you can't work on your own outboard then internationally you are at a disadvantage. Does it really matter what you have at that point? Depends on where you are. All the really nice places don't have authorized factory service centers.

The term "better" is a poor word to use. It depends on who you are and where you go. It also depends on what you know how to do.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 16:52   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I bought a 11ft. Caribe rib at Island Water World in St. Maarten for about half of US prices. The are even cheaper further down chain in Trinidad. 2-cycle outboard engines are still available for sale. I have a Yamaha 15 4-cycle but Tahatsu 2-cycle would be a good choice. My dinghy and motor weigh about 250# total.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:02   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I bought my outboard in St. Maarten for dirt cheap. I bought my dink at the end of the boat show">Miami Boat show. Lot's of times the vendors just want to dumpo what they have at the end of the show. That was my complete intention. I showed up the last day, and bought the dink dirt cheap too!!!!!!!!

You being from the bay area will have 2 shows to attend. Sail only, and the regular boat show......BEST WISHES
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:04   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420
I had a 9.5 Caribe (145 lbs) with a 15 hp Yamaha. It was stolen.

I replaced a couple of months ago with an AB aluminum RIB 9' (79 lbs) and another 15 hp Yamaha. Too big a motor but nothing else was available in the Southern Carib.

I have to say that both were and or great dinghies. But due to the weight, I think I like the AB better. Even though it is lighter, it is very stable in the water. There seems to be less torque when coming onto plane. I haven't even installed the new Del-fin foil.

Good luck on the under $3K.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:04   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I have a 9 year old Honda 15 hp and wouldn't think of getting anything else. Every year after storage for the winter all I have to do is prime it, pull out the choke and pull twice. After that, one pull starts it up. It does weigh quite a bit though and was pretty pricey.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:31   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The aluminum AB's are the best out there. They're so light and strong. I've seen the 10' one towing water skiers with two in the dink. I'd love one but have to stick with the fiberglass bottom. The aluminum ones are a bit pricey.
Old 14-07-2008, 17:55   #11
jzk

We went to the Miami boat show and bought one of the hypalon west marine RIBs from their display. I think it is a 12 ft, and we paid $1800 and we also bought a Yamaha 2 stroke 15hp.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote