Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2024, 05:49   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Question Reef line knot on boom

What are the options to tie the bitter end of a reef line around the boom.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 06:07   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Reef line knot on boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
What are the options to tie the bitter end of a reef line around the boom.
There is a specific method: from the sheave at the aft end of the boom, go up and through the reef cringle in the leech of the sail, then down on that side of the sail, back to the boom. Now go under the foot of the sail, back to the other side, then down and around the boom. Now you come back to the line again and tie a small bowline to it’s standing part that came down from the reef cringle.

I always add a small seizing to the bitter end so that the bowline can’t come out.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 07:01   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

A double bowline (two rabbit holes) as used by climbers I believe is quite a secure knot. I use them all the time now as I have had a few singles shake loose.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 07:29   #4

I am interested in this as I have to secure my reefing lines... I want to make sure I understand the description. Is my crude diagram showing "A" as the correct wrapping of the reefing line right?

Name:   Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 10.17.02 AM.png
Views: 1026
Size:  20.2 KB

Also, is the idea that the knot is just in the working end and the standing end can be pulled through like a slip knot?

Name:   Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 10.27.56 AM.png
Views: 1001
Size:  10.8 KB

Thanks,
Andy
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 13:16   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I am interested in this as I have to secure my reefing lines... I want to make sure I understand the description. Is my crude diagram showing "A" as the correct wrapping of the reefing line right?

Attachment 289342

Also, is the idea that the knot is just in the working end and the standing end can be pulled through like a slip knot?

Attachment 289343

Thanks,
Andy
Exactly, you got both right

Old 29-04-2024, 13:25   #6

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

You can also use a timber hitch.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 15:13   #7

found this article

When tying reef lines around the boom, many crews use a bowline. But when you’ve reefed down in a 50-knot breeze, a bowline welds itself into a tight mass of line that can often be untied only with a knife.
An alternative knot that’s guaranteed never to jam is the timber hitch. Rig your reef lines as follows: Take your reef line from its block at the end of the boom up through the reef cringle, then down, through the foot of the sail, around the boom, then around itself before it goes around the boom. From there it’s a simple matter of making several loose wraps around the line, as shown in the photo.

When you reef, the load on the line prevents the timber hitch from coming undone, and it can never bind on itself. It should be noted that using a timber hitch for your reef lines won’t work on a flat-sided boom-you’re stuck using a bowline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timber.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	289357  
Old 29-04-2024, 23:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
found this article

When tying reef lines around the boom, many crews use a bowline. But when you’ve reefed down in a 50-knot breeze, a bowline welds itself into a tight mass of line that can often be untied only with a knife.
An alternative knot that’s guaranteed never to jam is the timber hitch. Rig your reef lines as follows: Take your reef line from its block at the end of the boom up through the reef cringle, then down, through the foot of the sail, around the boom, then around itself before it goes around the boom. From there it’s a simple matter of making several loose wraps around the line, as shown in the photo.

When you reef, the load on the line prevents the timber hitch from coming undone, and it can never bind on itself. It should be noted that using a timber hitch for your reef lines won’t work on a flat-sided boom-you’re stuck using a bowline.
I think those will come loose when flapping around. Untying the bowlines after being under a lot of tension isn’t that hard when using the right tools. Here’s a secret: get these tiny pliers and keep them in the rigging bag or your pocket. Works for shackles, rope, everything. Not cheap but you will wish you had them for the past 20 years https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EXOL08

Old 30-04-2024, 02:19   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

The reason for A rather than B is that the knot snugs down tight around the boom sits on the side of the boom so it doesn't foul the foot of the sail.

I'm with Jedi on the pliers I use a small pair of offset pliers.
https://www.amazon.com/Offset-Needle.../dp/B07PY56KQ2
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 03:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post

Attachment 289342

Attachment 289343

Thanks,
Andy
Since almost any knot can shake loose when not loaded. Yet you want something that is not a PITA to tie or untie. Solution is tie a bowline and then take sew 5 or 6 stitches between the end of the line and the loop. Leave a smidge of slack as the knot will tighten under the extreme loads it will experience.

If you need to remove the line or the loop needs tweaking, simply run your knife between the end of the line and loop to cut the stitches.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 04:25   #11

Another way I found is to make an eye in the end of the reef line then make a soft shackle to go thru the eye and wrap it around the boom.
Old 30-04-2024, 08:41   #12

Thanks everyone!

Andy
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 09:55   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/slipped-buntline

similar to buntline: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jkzlJzbyo6k

Slip trucker:

Dare I suggest the slipped buntline-easy to untie. Put leftover tail thru eye(slip it too if you like) & let tail hang.
Len
Old 30-04-2024, 10:15   #14

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think those will come loose when flapping around. Untying the bowlines after being under a lot of tension isn’t that hard when using the right tools. Here’s a secret: get these tiny pliers and keep them in the rigging bag or your pocket. Works for shackles, rope, everything. Not cheap but you will wish you had them for the past 20 years https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EXOL08
I've got these in small, med, and large (I think over 20+ inch). First, yes... I just couldn't explain to anyone how great these piers are. I bought them, I'm going to guess, 30 years ago, and they are part of every essential kit I've ever put together.

Second, believe it or not, they're much cheaper now than when I bought them... and well worth it at double the price.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 10:21   #15

Boat: Cascade 42

https://www.uksailmakers.com/how-to-...ng-procedures/

this might be of help to the OP.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot