Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 07:23   #1

Reef-safe, Mineral-based, Sunscreen that doesn't cost more than your boat?

I am just wondering if anyone has found reef-safe (which essentially means fully mineral-based) sunscreen that works well for them and isn't $4/oz?Larger quantity bottles too would be nice. Usually I go for skin-cover when fishing or something similar because I tan like a lobster. But a beach day (where one usually foregoes burka-esque clothing) for me means applying high-spf sunscreen every 30-60 minutes. I'd need to sell my boat to do that with all the 2.8oz bottles @ $14.99 I'd need for a weekend on the water.

Reading about the chemical-based options I have been using (which I'm sure I'll get suggestions for) they're pretty harsh on coral (probably fishies too). A lot of the chemicals in them get absorbed into our blood in concentrations that the FDA has determined warrant further study, but that study hasn't been done - so they are potentially no bueno for people too.

Thanks,
- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:49   #2

Re: Reef-safe, Mineral-based, Sunscreen that doesn't cost more than your boat?

Unfortunately, it seems like all of the reef safe options are much more expensive.

I'm a huge fan of Supergoop. They have a ton of different products, and some of them are pricier, but I've been super satisfied with all of them.

All of their products are reef safe, and you can get a value size of their everyday sunscreen for closer to $3/ounce, at least, and you can usually find a decent coupon or two. Its also sweat and water resistant. https://supergoop.com/products/everyday-sunscreen
Miranda Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 04:44   #3

Re: Reef-safe, Mineral-based, Sunscreen that doesn't cost more than your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Echo View Post
Unfortunately, it seems like all of the reef safe options are much more expensive.

I'm a huge fan of Supergoop. They have a ton of different products, and some of them are pricier, but I've been super satisfied with all of them.

All of their products are reef safe, and you can get a value size of their everyday sunscreen for closer to $3/ounce, at least, and you can usually find a decent coupon or two. Its also sweat and water resistant. https://supergoop.com/products/everyday-sunscreen
Thank you for the reply. I had found that on my search, I guess it's time to fork over some dough and try this mineral stuff out!

Thanks,
AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, screen