Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2011, 10:28   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Reefing and New Sail

What Randy said (use outhaul and lash the back of the sail down to the boom) will work just fine for you--if you want to do all that before you go out sailing. What the other guys are trying to say is that if you want to reef and unreef WHILE you are sailing, its better to add the slab reefing line. Otherwise you will probably have to drop the main, lash in the reef, and hoist it again to keep from losing your teeth--its still not that big a deal.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 10:39   #17

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

Thanks Don. Since I sail singlehanded 99% of the time I intend on reefing at the dock or while at anchor and not undersail. This is what my sailmaker was talking about but it seems most people would rather bash questions with sarcasm then actually be helpful.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:38   #18

Re: reefing and new sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
You are wrong, on my first 42, designed for racing, the reef lines come from the internal area of the boom and exit out the rear( 4 lines-- 3 reef and one outhaul)... along the boom are areas designed to tye off the reef line. .. when pulling the reef line (outhaul) the line triangulates the sail and pulls the sail rearward as well as downward.. setting it in its proper place..
When racing, (for over 30 years in a small boat 22 to 24 Ft) the same reefing was done by using the outhaul and lashing the sail at the clew to the boom..
I bet his ain't like yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
Thanks Don. Since I sail singlehanded 99% of the time I intend on reefing at the dock or while at anchor and not undersail. This is what my sailmaker was talking about but it seems most people would rather bash questions with sarcasm then actually be helpful.
BE SURE YOU LET THE WHETHER KNOW WHAT YOUR PLANS ARE

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:47   #20

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post

For some strange reason, many folks seem to think that if you dont do it with "new and approved" its not worth a darn or it cant be done..
For years we sailed and raced boats like the bird boats of San Francisco Bay, or Folk Boats, or even the Choylee 31 Offshore like the one my son just picked up.. all have wooden masts and booms, no fancy Slab reefing, and just a hand full of ties to lash the sail down.. Reefing down the sail was a pain but we did it, on the water, in race conditions, and often when rounding the mark..
The down side I see amoung those that require all the fancy stuff to go sailing or reefing a sail for that mater, they dont have the basic skills to do what it takes when the gear they have dosent work..
Heaven forbid anyone leaving port anymore without a dozzen or so GPS's on board..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:57   #21

The line to the leech cringle will need to pull aft AND down to reef properly.just attaching the outhaul will not be good.... as well as dangerous trying to attach a shackle to a flailing boom! Also, You may damage your new sail just hauling aft with no down component if you're not careful. Reefing is one of the most important systems on your boat, just plain simple slab reeefing is inexpensive and foolproof. here's one diagram of many. Just add a cleat at the forward end of your boom and a turning block on the side aft. The "dead end" of the line (not shown) can just be tied around the boom with a bowline if you dont want to add a deadeye.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:11   #22

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

Thanks guys, and Bates, If it is blowing hard on the way out, I would reef at the dock, if it started blowing I would just head to one of the coves, anchor up and do it there or if necessary, drop sail. On the boat I have it is a swing keel with water ballast, even with the tiller locked or outboard in position it will move off heading just walking around the boat. When lowering the sails, I set the topping lift, drop sail while dead into the wind, neutral to the engine and drift while gathering the main
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 08:45   #23

"For some strange reason, many folks seem to think that if you dont do it with "new and approved" its not worth a darn or it cant be done.."
Well, I like your thoughts about not getting too fancy, but I sure wouldnt call Slab Reefing "new"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 09:05   #24

Boat: PETERSON 44
I wouldn't say having a pre rigged down haul on a reef point is real new or fancy. Pretty easy to set up too. Easy to use so when you think about reeding you reef or let the reef go
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 12:31   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Practicing reefing while hove to would be something you might work at.
kind regards,

Tags
sail