Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 19:35   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Reefing question - new sailor

Wondered if I could get some help. I'm new to sailing and boating in general, having just purchased a 1983 Islander Bahama 30. It has a Kenyon boom, and I'm unclear about the whole reefing setup. The boom has a cam lock near the front for the reefing line, and it goes thru the boom and out the back, over a block/pulley.

I see the reefing clew on the main, I'm just not sure, does the line tie directly to the clew in the main, or does it go thru the clew and back around the boom?

There are no cleats on the boom underneath the reefing clew, and no signs that any ever existed. In the owners manual it looks like the reefing line comes down to the boom, but I'm not at all sure how?

The foot of the mainsail is loose, so I could wrap it around the boom, but then what?
cadteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:43   #2

Re: Reefing question - new sailor

If I'm understanding yours right, the normal would be: Tie around boom, (or on deadeye provided) up through the clew cringle, down through the turning block (on side of boom or internal on end of boom) then forward to the cleat or Jam cleat on forward end of boom. Tack may have a rope or just hooks for the tack cringle.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 17:39   #3

When you get it rigged right, practice reefing at the dock a few times so that it wont all be new to you when you actually need it. It might make a big differance for you.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 18:15   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadteach View Post
Wondered if I could get some help. I'm new to sailing and boating in general, having just purchased a 1983 Islander Bahama 30. It has a Kenyon boom, and I'm unclear about the whole reefing setup. The boom has a cam lock near the front for the reefing line, and it goes thru the boom and out the back, over a block/pulley.

I see the reefing clew on the main, I'm just not sure, does the line tie directly to the clew in the main, or does it go thru the clew and back around the boom?

There are no cleats on the boom underneath the reefing clew, and no signs that any ever existed. In the owners manual it looks like the reefing line comes down to the boom, but I'm not at all sure how?

The foot of the mainsail is loose, so I could wrap it around the boom, but then what?
The usual setup is to bring the line back to the boom and secure it there. The exact point along the boom will be roughly under where the reefing clew cringle lies when reefed. Sometimes it is necessary to move it a few inches aft along the boom to get adequate foot tension. A little experimentation will show the best point.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-07-2012, 18:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

Having been a "noob" myself within time I can still remember (Grin) -- I have additional advice for you, even though it wasn't your question.

Once you have used the excellent advice here and determined the best way to reef (no one mentioned easing the boom vang, but you should) ...

LEAVE THE DOCK reefed one day when it's blowing, say, 18 - 20, so you can see just how stably the boat will sail when reefed.

Also, don't ignore your headsail. If you have a big hank on genny, you should swap it out for a smaller sail if you see a blow coming. If you have a roller furler and you don't have time to swap sails out, you may (may) be able to partially furl the sail. Unfortunately there are a few furlers out there that can't be vertically "reefed" by taking it in partially.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 21:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If I'm understanding yours right, the normal would be: Tie around boom, (or on deadeye provided) up through the clew cringle, down through the turning block (on side of boom or internal on end of boom) then forward to the cleat or Jam cleat on forward end of boom. Tack may have a rope or just hooks for the tack cringle.
This is my opinion as well. For loose footed mains it is best to just tie the end of the line loosely around the boom directly under the cringle for reasons that will only be apparent with some experience. The sheaves at the end of the boom are far superior to the cheekblocks sometimes seen.

Can be a good idea to seize the bowline knot as it spends much time loose and can untie.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 22:49   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:

The reefing line goes through the reef cringle and then should attach to the boom just a little aft of where the reef cringle would be once tightened down. You can tie it round the boom or install a bail to tie it to.

You can use a clove hitch with a halfhitch to secure it. Seizing is a good idea if it will be there permanently. Once you've done a few reefs you can see how the sail sets and position that clove hitch wherever you want along the boom to get the best sail shape for your reef.
I'm just saying what others have said in somewhat different words to make certain you catch on.

Good luck on your reefing. Do it early when you first think about it. Usually if you don't do it when you first think about it then it becomes a lot harder.

kind regards,
Old 13-07-2012, 22:52   #8

Boat: OEM, proportional

Saw a "basket boom" on someone's blog yesterday....open at the front to reduce windage, and I'm guessing making it swivel-able would help even more.

The idea of being able to stow the complete sail, yard and battens (my junk rig) in a hard shell away from prying wind and water appeals to me. But that would be a retrofit and still looks a little bulky to my eyes. The blurb said it also acted like a wing fence to interfere with the vortex rolling off the foot (not in so many words, forgot the exact terms but got the concept, I think)....
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:41   #9

Boat: Islander Bahama 30

Thanks to all for the replies. As new sailors, we don't spend much time in weather that would require a reef, too worried, but as we are becoming more experienced, I wanted to be sure I understood what the correct way to have it set up was.

We'll tie her around the boom, not sure how loose it should be (able to slide freely?) , and see how it does when the need arises.

Thanks again.

Ed
cadteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:58   #10

It's best to have one "leg" of the line aft of where the cringle ends up on the boom, that way the foot is kept tight. Some boats with internal lines run that leg all the way aft to the sheave in the boom end. Also, if the turning block on the side of the boom has a post built into the sheave, you can take the line under the boom and tie to that post.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 19:08   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just in case you want more suggestions maybe a couple of photos of your boom setup might be appropriate.
kind regards,
Old 14-07-2012, 21:12   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Thanks to all for the replies. As new sailors, we don't spend much time in weather that would require a reef, too worried, but as we are becoming more experienced, I wanted to be sure I understood what the correct way to have it set up was.

We'll tie her around the boom, not sure how loose it should be (able to slide freely?) , and see how it does when the need arises.

Thanks again.

Ed

I was told by a truly expert sailor (most here would recognize his name) that you don't have to tie all the little reefing lines that hang down the sail, which makes it much easier.

You should STILL reef the boat and take her out that way. Then shake the reef out to see the difference. You should practice doing it, deciding ahead of time who will do what. You don't want to have to be shouting back and forth to each other as a gale picks up.

And for all your planning to not sail in such weather -- weather happens. Practice before it happens to you.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 21:14   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

If the foot is loose, take the reefing line, run it thru the grommet, down to the boom and tie a bowline around the boom. This gives you 2-1 purchase and equalizes the down and out forces. In reality they shouldn't be equal but the whole system will slip around and resolve to something close to optimum.

Assuming you have a second reef point it works the same.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 00:04   #14

Yes. Some slack in the loop around the boom so it can slide. Maybe 10cm.

Another tip: the line wears at the cringle. One can use anti-chafe or a block. Also leave some extra length in the line so it can be trimmed to move the wear zone away from the cringle.

This ride gets reefed at 10 knots....I've become rather familiar with the system here...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 00:22   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

People should know when to let out a reef.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote