Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 02:42   #1

Question Reefing with boom Stack Pack

I am having a stack pack made and when i was taking the sail off yesterday for some alterations realised that I hadn't thought of the reefing points

I have single-line reefing - so the end of the reefing line comes out of the end of the boom, up to the reefing clew and then down to an eye on the underside of the boom

I guess the idea of going to the eye on the boom is to enable some flattening. Now all i can imagine is that the end of the reefing will attach straight to the reefing clew.

Would be grateful if anyone could tell me how they handle their reefing in the same setup

thanks
Frank
fjweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 03:32   #2

Boat: Islander 36
I don't know that the "eye" is not in a good location. But don't you want a turning block there, and then run the line forward to the next pair of blocks. I have a stack pack and have the single line reefing to 2 reef points. Just to be clear, I have 2 lines running to the cockpit.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 03:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I have a stack ack (or a cheap rip off thereof) and single line reefing with two lines coming back to cockpit. The line goes through the jammer up to the mast up to a bvlock on the luff reefing point down through a block and into the boom out the back of the boom and up through the leech cringle and down to the boom, through a hole in the stack pack and tied round the boom, works really good.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 05:10   #4

Boat: Islander 36
Factor,

Yes, that makes sense. My boom is not so new as to be opened on both ends or to have sheaves in it. If the bitter end of the reefing line ties to the eye and then up to the cringle and then enters the boom at the aft end of Fiweavers boom, I can visualize it, and I'm jealous.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote