Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 08:07   #1

Registering Garmin with USCG

OK. Had no luck in Nav section so posting this hear as departure on next adventure is 72 hours away..lol....... My son in law who works for Garmin just purchased for me a Garmin InReach Mini Handheld GPS Satellite Communicator. It includes the ability to send out a distress signal. I read somewhere "maybe here" that the Coast Guard likes to have these devices registered so they know who they are dealing with should they get a distress signal. He has already registered it with the monitoring agency, GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC). Can anyone tell me if I still need to register it with the USCG directly or will his registration cover it. Thanks ahead of time for your input
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 12:26   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Registering Garmin with USCG

An inreach is NOT a plb or epirb.

The former are registered to a vessel or a person and monitored by a government agency, or a government controlled/contracted agency.

An inreach is a private communications device that also happens to support distress signaling through the private network.

No more registration is required or possible
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin