Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 10:57   #151

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

As a non US citizen I find this whole "but mah rights" thing a bit silly. I prefer common decency over legal rights.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:00   #152

Also, I refer back to my point a few pages ago that a house/owners flag needs to be a unique design. You can't (not legally, but by etiquette and tradition) just raise any flag on the port burgee halyard and call it a house flag.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:02   #153

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Some of you must like to carry your politics or whatever with you wherever you go. Myself, (I am holier than thou), like to go to the marina or the anchorage or wherever to escape the political crap that is has taken over our country and the world. I don't care what any particular person believes or doesn't believe but to insist on putting up a big Obama or Trump or whoever banner on the boat next to mine, just brings this crap down to the docks and sometimes on the water and makes it a little (lot) less enjoyable.

Some people seem to enjoy trying to make other people either uncomfortable or to advertise for others who feel the same way they do to come on over for safety in numbers. Why people want to insist on putting their thumbs in other people's eyes to make a point is beyond me.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:03   #154

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Arguing over this is purely ridiculous.

Flag etiquette would not include any of these flags.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:18   #155

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Have you seen a Confederate flag flown? Was the intent historic or hateful (perhaps veiled)?
I have never seen an actual Confederate Flag flown, I have seen many Confederate Navy Jacks flown, I don't believe I have ever met anyone who flew it out of hatred or anger. In the war, only 1 regiment of ground forces actually carried the Navy Jack in battle, but hollywood latched on to it because it looks better so history be damned!
Truth of the matter, the American Civil War was not about slavery. Every southern state had been threatened to secede from the Union for roughly 50 years due to unfair taxes and representation. President Lincoln declared slavery abolished 13 months AFTER the war began, that was the point slavery became an issue of the *war*. At that point in time, the South was winning and history shows that the decision to make *human rights* the face of the war cause was a brilliant call for the first Republican president. (Wanting to catch a show at the Ford Theater, not so much)
Any true student of history would never fly the Navy Jack out of hatred or racism, as it is a symbol that came from economic and cultural oppression. The industrial culture areas (north) held greater representation than the agricultural areas (south) and voted to heavily tax them.
Not much has changed to date.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:31   #156

Lightbulb Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

If it's not a Private Yacht Club, tell those wimps who are hurt by someone choice of a flag to get a life or relocate. Get along or get going.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:36   #157

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

11 pages of discourse over what? Flags and their messages?
The human race is doomed.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:47   #158

Well my main flag will be the Stars and Stripes. Any other flag will be below her. I will confess my Florida State University burgee gets a lot of respectful reaction from some fellow boaters. The key is respect...politics should be in the voting booth. I am 68 years old and have voted since I was 18, never once have I been influenced by a sign, banner, flag or political advertisement.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:27   #159

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Yes, and in that kind of climate is it really acceptable to tell someone not to be offended when it is clear that the person's intention is to offend those that disagree with them? Intent is 9 10ths of the law, after all
One of the most offensive actions is to project your own motives to those of others.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:27   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
11 pages of discourse over what? Flags and their messages?
The human race is doomed.
Yea :P
Although my points were based on the incorrect nautical use of them. Some of us still take flags seriously - in England flying an ensign which you don't have permission to use is still a crime. As is flying a Union Jack at sea - if you are English and flying a flag on your burgee halyard to denote your nationality, it should be a St Georges Cross, or the flag of your county. The French take these matters equally seriously, if not more so.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:37   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmargi View Post
One of the most offensive actions is to project your own motives to those of others.
What makes you think I was doing so? And what are your motivations for being offended by my statement? You are instantly assuming that I make the assumption that someone is trying to offend me when they are not. But my statement merely stated that if they were trying to offended me I would find that offensive.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:55   #162

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yes, I am sure you are right, none. Obviously there is no confusion about whether or not the person with one flying at his spreader is a real pirate.

But it IS a symbol of a very serious crime, meant in the old days to instill terror in the hearts of sailors who sighted it flying on an oncoming boat.

So I still ask, why does someone think that is it cool, What is cool about it?

Mostly people I have asked about it think it is funny. What is funny about flying a symbol which represents terrorist criminal activity?

Nobody has answered this for me.
Do you have the same feelings about captain Morgan run, kids watching Peter Pan, etc?

Real and bad pirates don’t look anything like cartoon pirates, and have about as much in common IMHO

Quote:
As a non US citizen I find this whole "but mah rights" thing a bit silly. I prefer common decency over legal rights.
I’ve had this talk with folks who never had the rights US citizens have, it’s like trying to explain a sunset to a blind person, or a deaf person trying to understand Mozart by looking at sheet music.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:57   #163

The bad news is there are people
Old 12-06-2020, 12:57   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post

I’ve had this talk with folks who never had the rights US citizens have, it’s like trying to explain a sunset to a blind person, or a deaf person trying to understand Mozart by looking at sheet music.
Is it though? Because we have exactly the same rights in the EU that you have, (aside from the 2nd amendment) we just don't bang on about them all the time as if it were religion rather than law. You do realise that your constitution is based on UK Common Law?
Old 12-06-2020, 13:46   #165
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

Quote:
Is it though? Because we have exactly the same rights in the EU that you have, (aside from the 2nd amendment) we just don't bang on about them all the time as if it were religion rather than law. You do realise that your constitution is based on UK Common Law?
The repression of these rights is beginning in the EU.. thats why we want out.
Freedom of speech..
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ion-hate-crime

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, commercial, flags