Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 08:38   #181

Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Its a flag.

Perhaps we are raising generations of people who are far too easily offended.
Yes, just a flag. In this thread's context, a flag with nothing to do with boating or club activities. Someone has chosen to fly it in a boat club or marina. Of course, they have the right to fly it; that's not in dispute.

No perhaps about it; the US political divide has infested just about every corner of US life. No end yet in sight.
Old 13-06-2020, 08:54   #182

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Yes, just a flag. In this thread's context, a flag with nothing to do with boating or club activities. Someone has chosen to fly it in a boat club or marina. Of course, they have the right to fly it; that's not in dispute.

No perhaps about it; the US political divide has infested just about every corner of US life. No end yet in sight.
The divide isn’t nearly that big, thing is big tech and most of the media hates trump now (loved him before he was potus) so it looks much larger than it is, plus the anti trump folks tend the scream and be super loud about it, lots of folks didn’t like obama on the second election yet they didn’t lose their mind over it.

Trying to get away from politics is a silly idea, unless you’re in international waters, trying to avoid politics is about as likely as avoiding the sun light.
Old 13-06-2020, 08:59   #183

Boat: EDELCAT33

I think all these flags are actually good for me as it prepares me on how Not to deal with people with hard opposite ideas and ideals from mine. The flag tells me: Stay away and avoid contact, and if you do, be ready to accept the consequences”. When I came to the USA in the late 70’s there were sectors in the society displaying blatant racism, bigotry, and false nationalism. But no different than other countries, just less subtle. Tribalism is an inherent human trait that probably served humanity over thousands of years as a basic survival instinct. I am not surprised at all of the current situation, as economic crisis, pandemics, and deep wealth gaps acts as a catalyst to tribalism. I was lucky to study American history and is funny how this cycle has been repeating with every immigrant wave and ethnic group
Old 13-06-2020, 09:10   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Trying to get away from politics is a silly idea, unless you’re in international waters, trying to avoid politics is about as likely as avoiding the sun light.

It's a choice that people make. Once upon a time, there was an adage "don't bring up religion or politics in polite company". The idea being - these are subjects that are dominated by beliefs and identity, deeply personal, and it's inconsiderate to force someone to discuss or defend them.

This doesn't even enter into your consideration, apparently. Why?

We have many sailing friends from different regions of Canada and the US. Somehow, we can usually make it through a long weekend together as a group without getting into our differences on world topics. Not always successful; if the conversation strays into some of the more contentious topics, the discomfort is readily apparent, and we generally agree to steer away from it as a group topic. This is part of how we get along; the rest is the shared love of sailing and the discovery that these different people are interesting and decent folks. More contentious topics sometimes become possible once mutual respect is established.

Or, you can stick a flag up, and as other commenters have mentioned, they will know who to avoid, and thanks for the heads-up. (see comment above...)
Old 13-06-2020, 09:30   #185

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

So it's perfectly acceptable to brag about prejudice towards others based on supposed religious or political beliefs, but prejudice based on ethnicity or color of skin is *bad*

It's so hard to keep up with what rules are politically correct these days.

Whatever happened to meeting someone and getting to know them? Judge each person based on them, instead of an imaginary ideology surmised from supporting a political candidate.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:35   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
So it's perfectly acceptable to brag about prejudice towards others based on supposed religious or political beliefs, but prejudice based on ethnicity or color of skin is *bad*.

There's no prejudice involved ("prejudice" means pre-judgement without valid reasons) when a person loudly proclaims their political or religious views. They want you to know what's on their mind.

Or look at it in this way - a religious/political proclamation is that person declaring that they are less interested in meeting or getting along with different people, than in staking out their ideological turf.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:49   #187

Quote:
There's no prejudice involved ("prejudice" means pre-judgement) when a person loudly proclaims their political or religious views. You have been shown what's on their mind.

Or look at it in this way - a religious/political proclamation is that person declaring that they are less interested in meeting or getting along with different people,than in staking their ideological turf.
There are literally hundreds of reasons someone might support a candidate, which you have absolutely no clue of because by your own admission you have prejudged their reasons based solely on the support.
Many voters in the U.S. are single issue voters. You can burn vagrants alive, tax the general population to poverty and you will still get support as long as you support *XYZ*(Insert whatever your political pet issue is)
Sad but true.
48 U.S. Senators voted to surrender U.S. Sovereignty to the U.N.... personally I would fly a flag supporting a cantaloupe before I voted for that political party on ANY issue because they have made their intentions clear. But you wouldn't know anything about me based on your supposed knowledge gained by a flag or bumper sticker. That's your loss.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:56   #188

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

I come from a "deep blue state" and in my 71 years on this earth, I have NEVER met ANYONE who was offended by Old Glory or the nautical ensign.

I don't know where this poster is located, but that situation seems to be an extremely narrow-minded, opinionated and volatile situation.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:01   #189

I was being sarcastic. I should have added an emoji. Ignoring hate is no different than promoting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny.. My experience is it always leads backwards..
Thats why so many cities have no go areas or at the least where the average citizen fears to tread after dark.
Things don't go away or improve, the virus just spreads.
Your just another pussy to be walked over.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:02   #190

Quote:
There are literally hundreds of reasons someone might support a candidate, which you have absolutely no clue of because by your own admission you have prejudged their reasons based solely on the support.
Declaring your political leanings up front (especially where politics should be irrelevant - like your boat club/marina), before even making eye-contact or saying hello, is a choice. Take responsibility for your choice; don't lay all the obligations on the beholder.

Quote:
...you wouldn't know anything about me based on your supposed knowledge gained by a flag or bumper sticker. That's your loss.
Your boat flag is telling me -another boater - exactly what you want me to know about you. If your boat has a flag with a martini glass or beer stein... I'm grabbing a 6pack and heading over ASAP. If it's a pirate flag, I may still approach with 6pack, mentally girding myself for Jimmy Buffett or yacht-rock. If it's a foreign flag, I am interested in finding out about your country.

If it's a re-election flag, for a particularly bitter election, and the last thing I want is a political argument... your loss.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:07   #191

This is false. In the states secession the reference to slavery was stated. It was about a states right to own another human being.

https://www.historynet.com/which-sta...-secession.htm

Quote:
I have never seen an actual Confederate Flag flown, I have seen many Confederate Navy Jacks flown, I don't believe I have ever met anyone who flew it out of hatred or anger. In the war, only 1 regiment of ground forces actually carried the Navy Jack in battle, but hollywood latched on to it because it looks better so history be damned!
Truth of the matter, the American Civil War was not about slavery. Every southern state had been threatened to secede from the Union for roughly 50 years due to unfair taxes and representation. President Lincoln declared slavery abolished 13 months AFTER the war began, that was the point slavery became an issue of the *war*. At that point in time, the South was winning and history shows that the decision to make *human rights* the face of the war cause was a brilliant call for the first Republican president. (Wanting to catch a show at the Ford Theater, not so much)
Any true student of history would never fly the Navy Jack out of hatred or racism, as it is a symbol that came from economic and cultural oppression. The industrial culture areas (north) held greater representation than the agricultural areas (south) and voted to heavily tax them.
Not much has changed to date.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:09   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cunningham View Post
I come from a "deep blue state" and in my 71 years on this earth, I have NEVER met ANYONE who was offended by Old Glory or the nautical ensign.

I don't know where this poster is located, but that situation seems to be an extremely narrow-minded, opinionated and volatile situation.
According to the main stream media, *peaceful protesters* are/were targetting homes that were flying the U.S. flag.
One political party has embraced a globalist view, the other has embraced a nationalist view. Support for the nation's flag is linked to a nationalist view, I suppose. I don't believe it's possible to pass gas in this country without it having a political connection.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:15   #193

Quote:
I don't believe it's possible to pass gas in this country without it having a political connection.

Someone will figure out how to turn a f4rt into a re-election ad. Give it time.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:18   #194

Can you show me the links, please? I want to make sure I don't need to take down my USA and USN colors because of the mass rioters going around attacking peaceful white men.

Quote:
According to the main stream media, *peaceful protesters* are/were targetting homes that were flying the U.S. flag.
One political party has embraced a globalist view, the other has embraced a nationalist view. Support for the nation's flag is linked to a nationalist view, I suppose. I don't believe it's possible to pass gas in this country without it having a political connection.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:25   #195

Quote:
Declaring your political leanings up front (especially where politics should be irrelevant - like your boat club/marina), before even making eye-contact or saying hello, is a choice. Take responsibility for your choice; don't lay all the obligations on the beholder.

Your boat flag is telling me -another boater - exactly what you want me to know about you. If your boat has a flag with a martini glass or beer stein... I'm grabbing a 6pack and heading over ASAP. If it's a pirate flag, I may still approach with 6pack, mentally girding myself for Jimmy Buffett or yacht-rock. If it's a foreign flag, I am interested in finding out about your country.

If it's a re-election flag, for a particularly bitter election, and the last thing I want is a political argument... your loss.
Your once again making judgments that are nowhere near any truth. While I do have a pirate flag, I don't like buffet and have no clue what yacht-rock is, and am literally amazed you could be so proud to announce your prejudice as such.
When is the last time you just met someone and got to know them without having tried to judge them first?
I have friends from all walks of life, from literally every political and religious background that I have ever heard of. If I had prejudged them based on political, religious, or whatever differences, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY LOSS.
Likewise, if someone prejudged me based on those same criteria, it's their loss, not mine.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, commercial, flags