Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 10:33   #196

Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Your once again making judgments that are nowhere near any truth. While I do have a pirate flag, I don't like buffet and have no clue what yacht-rock is, and am literally amazed you could be so proud to announce your prejudice as such.
Humour seems to be tougher to put across today...

Quote:
When is the last time you just met someone and got to know them without having tried to judge them first?
I have friends from all walks of life, from literally every political and religious background that I have ever heard of. If I had prejudged them based on political, religious, or whatever differences, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY LOSS.
Likewise, if someone prejudged me based on those same criteria, it's their loss, not mine.
I have a broad range of friends as well, and proud of it. One of the ways I make and keep friends is by not poking people in the eye with my political proclamations before even saying hi. My boat says (I hope) I love boating.
Old 13-06-2020, 11:30   #197

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's a choice that people make. Once upon a time, there was an adage "don't bring up religion or politics in polite company". The idea being - these are subjects that are dominated by beliefs and identity, deeply personal, and it's inconsiderate to force someone to discuss or defend them.

This doesn't even enter into your consideration, apparently. Why?

We have many sailing friends from different regions of Canada and the US. Somehow, we can usually make it through a long weekend together as a group without getting into our differences on world topics. Not always successful; if the conversation strays into some of the more contentious topics, the discomfort is readily apparent, and we generally agree to steer away from it as a group topic. This is part of how we get along; the rest is the shared love of sailing and the discovery that these different people are interesting and decent folks. More contentious topics sometimes become possible once mutual respect is established.

Or, you can stick a flag up, and as other commenters have mentioned, they will know who to avoid, and thanks for the heads-up. (see comment above...)

Maybe I’m just a result of quite a few generations of US with some Scottish blood, I love a good debate, thing is I can get into it and not remotely have it get personal, or change my feelings about the person, I have good friends who’s politics I don’t like, I enjoy spending time with them and also debating them.

Freedom is freedom loving armed men getting together and peacefully debating differences

I think if folks avoided talking politics in “polite company” the US would still be a subject of the crown.
Old 13-06-2020, 12:26   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Maybe I’m just a result of quite a few generations of US with some Scottish blood, I love a good debate, thing is I can get into it and not remotely have it get personal, or change my feelings about the person, I have good friends who’s politics I don’t like, I enjoy spending time with them and also debating them.

Freedom is freedom loving armed men getting together and peacefully debating differences

I think if folks avoided talking politics in “polite company” the US would still be a subject of the crown.

It's been 244 years, you won, congrats.

There is also this bit of doggerel:

Quote:
GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit....

... not everyone's up for a debate, all the time.
Old 13-06-2020, 12:33   #199

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
It's been 244 years, you won, congrats.

There is also this bit of doggerel:

... not everyone's up for a debate, all the time.

I can agree with that quote, that said I don’t think I have many friends who don’t have that burning passion in their life, the fire in their belly to debate, I respect the meeks rights, I just don’t tend to keep their company, don’t mean that in a bad way at all, just different personalities
Old 13-06-2020, 13:14   #200

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

It looks to me like you're seeing what you want to see instead of what's actually happening.
I don't know from what "...mainstream media" you are getting your information, but I will reiterate: I have never seen or heard of such a thing, and if I did I'd step in. I question the veracity of your information.
Not neccessarily in SPECIFIC reference to the above quote, but I wondered how long THIS thread would go on before the conspiracy theory nuts, John Birchers and Boogaloo Bois showed up.

Quote:
According to the main stream media, *peaceful protesters* are/were targetting homes that were flying the U.S. flag.
One political party has embraced a globalist view, the other has embraced a nationalist view. Support for the nation's flag is linked to a nationalist view, I suppose. I don't believe it's possible to pass gas in this country without it having a political connection.
Old 13-06-2020, 13:58   #201

Boat: a sailing boat

But that's two things.

One is the fact of fetishist veneration of a national flag by nationalists.

Another is the fact that a boat registered somewhere is sometimes required to show the flag of her registration country.

These two do not seem to have much to do with each other.

And which one are we discussing here?

b.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:04   #202

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cunningham View Post
It looks to me like you're seeing what you want to see instead of what's actually happening.
I don't know from what "...mainstream media" you are getting your information, but I will reiterate: I have never seen or heard of such a thing, and if I did I'd step in. I question the veracity of your information.
Not neccessarily in SPECIFIC reference to the above quote, but I wondered how long THIS thread would go on before the conspiracy theory nuts, John Birchers and Boogaloo Bois showed up.
WKRG News 5 (CBS Mobile AL) CBS Nightly News (National/World News)

You are absolutely right, I call them every day about 30 minutes before they air and tell them what to report......

Back to reality, we have a CF member who is retired military who has stated his flags caused an issue, CBS Nightly news reported just this week that *it's been suggested homes displaying American flags are being targeted* <--local reporter on the street, but aired by national news
Old 13-06-2020, 14:05   #203

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
...I do have a pirate flag...
Ah Ha! You have a pirate flag. And I guess that you also fly said flag?

Assuming you do agree that these skull and crossbones flags were originally meant to terrorize sailors at sea, declaring, "I am a pirate, I will rob you and if you don't surrender immediately I will kill or kidnap you and take your ship, Beware!"

So S/V Adeline, what is your reason for flying that flag?

1. You actually are declaring yourself a pirate, and should be fired upon before you try to take someone's ship?

2. You just think now days a pirate is just someone who likes to break rules, and you think it is cute to declare that you like to break rules. Or it's funny?

3. Your partner is an airhead who likes the bustier look that she saw on the Disney films.

Personally I don't much care for flying a symbol which stood for killing robbing raping and kidnapping, which pirates actually did and STILL DO, even if it is adored by the goofy people who don't give it a thought.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pirate

pirate[ pahy-ruht ]
noun
a person who robs or commits illegal violence at sea or on the shores of the sea.
a ship used by such persons.
any plunderer, predator, etc.:
confidence men, slumlords, and other pirates.
SEE MORE
verb (used with object), pi·rat·ed, pi·rat·ing.
to commit piracy upon; plunder; rob.
to take by piracy:
to pirate gold.
to use or reproduce (a book, an invention, etc.) without authorization or legal right:
to pirate hit records.
to take or entice away for one's own use:
Our competitor is trying to pirate our best salesman.
SEE LESS
verb (used without object), pi·rat·ed, pi·rat·ing.
to commit or practice piracy.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:25   #204

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I have never seen an actual Confederate Flag flown, I have seen many Confederate Navy Jacks flown, I don't believe I have ever met anyone who flew it out of hatred or anger. In the war, only 1 regiment of ground forces actually carried the Navy Jack in battle, but hollywood latched on to it because it looks better so history be damned!
Truth of the matter, the American Civil War was not about slavery. Every southern state had been threatened to secede from the Union for roughly 50 years due to unfair taxes and representation. President Lincoln declared slavery abolished 13 months AFTER the war began, that was the point slavery became an issue of the *war*. At that point in time, the South was winning and history shows that the decision to make *human rights* the face of the war cause was a brilliant call for the first Republican president. (Wanting to catch a show at the Ford Theater, not so much)
Any true student of history would never fly the Navy Jack out of hatred or racism, as it is a symbol that came from economic and cultural oppression. The industrial culture areas (north) held greater representation than the agricultural areas (south) and voted to heavily tax them.
Not much has changed to date.
Nice to know others studied Civil War and Reconstruction.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:34   #205

Quote:
Back to reality, we have a CF member who is retired military who has stated his flags caused an issue
To be fair, I don't think a64 got back to us to say exactly who took objection to the US ensign, or why. I've never heard of such an objection... but I'm not often in the US.

Quote:
CBS Nightly news reported just this week that *it's been suggested homes displaying American flags are being targeted* <--local reporter on the street, but aired by national news
*it's been suggested...

This is light-years from your claim that *peaceful protesters* were targeting homes with American flags out. Are you sure you haven't just heard something off of social media that was planted by some alt-right sh!t-disturbers?
Old 13-06-2020, 14:38   #206

Based on the secession documents, it was about slavery. They fought Americans because they believed owning humans was their right. They killed fellow Americans because they believed that strongly in owning humans, as they owned cattle. They didn't see the distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmargi View Post

Nice to know others studied Civil War and Reconstruction.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:52   #207

Quote:
To be fair, I don't think a64 got back to us to say exactly who took objection to the US ensign, or why. I've never heard of such an objection... but I'm not often in the US.

*it's been suggested...

This is light-years from your claim that *peaceful protesters* were targeting homes with American flags out. Are you sure you haven't just heard something off of social media that was planted by some alt-right sh!t-disturbers?
What I said was *
Quote:
According to the main stream media, *peaceful protesters* are/were targetting homes that were flying the U.S. flag.
Which is the exact thing they reported on CBS World News Tonight just this last week of riots.
CBS = main stream media
They described the event as *peaceful protesters* before going to a local reporter on the scene, and the local reporter on the scene stated there were reports that homes flying the American flag were targeted.

I didn't make the claim, CBS reported it on National Television
Old 13-06-2020, 14:54   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
Based on the secession documents, it was about slavery. They fought Americans because they believed owning humans was their right. They killed fellow Americans because they believed that strongly in owning humans, as they owned cattle. They didn't see the distinction.
The Confederacy did not start the war, the Union started to war to prevent secession. South seceded, North used military force to prevent secession.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:59   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Ah Ha! You have a pirate flag. And I guess that you also fly said flag?

Assuming you do agree that these skull and crossbones flags were originally meant to terrorize sailors at sea, declaring, "I am a pirate, I will rob you and if you don't surrender immediately I will kill or kidnap you and take your ship, Beware!"

So S/V Adeline, what is your reason for flying that flag?

1. You actually are declaring yourself a pirate, and should be fired upon before you try to take someone's ship?

2. You just think now days a pirate is just someone who likes to break rules, and you think it is cute to declare that you like to break rules. Or it's funny?

3. Your partner is an airhead who likes the bustier look that she saw on the Disney films.

Personally I don't much care for flying a symbol which stood for killing robbing raping and kidnapping, which pirates actually did and STILL DO, even if it is adored by the goofy people who don't give it a thought.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pirate

pirate[ pahy-ruht ]
noun
a person who robs or commits illegal violence at sea or on the shores of the sea.
a ship used by such persons.
any plunderer, predator, etc.:
confidence men, slumlords, and other pirates.
SEE MORE
verb (used with object), pi·rat·ed, pi·rat·ing.
to commit piracy upon; plunder; rob.
to take by piracy:
to pirate gold.
to use or reproduce (a book, an invention, etc.) without authorization or legal right:
to pirate hit records.
to take or entice away for one's own use:
Our competitor is trying to pirate our best salesman.
SEE LESS
verb (used without object), pi·rat·ed, pi·rat·ing.
to commit or practice piracy.
Pirate flags are for bare boat charters

The seamans flag ....port spreader ....is IBNA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1554D0E-D409-44E8-8AED-1A8B0ED25D87.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	217282  
Old 13-06-2020, 15:00   #210

They seceded to own humans.

Quote:
The Confederacy did not start the war, the Union started to war to prevent secession. South seceded, North used military force to prevent secession.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, commercial, flags