Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 07:00   #121

Re: Religious Commercial or Political Personal Signal Flags at Marina slip

Looking the other way always leads forward.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:06   #122

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Restrictions as to number of poles, size of poles, size of flags and number of flags per pole.

Diana Beach Florida:

https://library.municode.com/fl/dani...E_S505-150FLFL

Sec. 505-150. - Flagpoles and flags.

(A)Flagpoles and flags shall be permitted in all districts subject to all applicable provisions of the code.
Flagpoles in any residential district shall not exceed a maximum height of twenty (20) feet above grade. In all other zoning districts, the maximum height of a flagpole shall be the maximum structure height for the district in which the flagpole is located or forty (40) feet, whichever is less.

(B)Flagpoles shall not be placed on top of buildings or ancillary structures such as (but not limited to) light poles. Flags shall not be draped or folded over the sides of buildings, nor shall they be tied to the exterior of any building or window.

(C)The maximum dimensions of any flag shall be proportional to the flagpole height. The hoist side of the flag shall not exceed twenty (20) percent of the vertical height of the pole. In addition, flags are subject to the following dimensional limitations:

Maximum Flag Size by Pole Height

Pole Height: Maximum Flag Size

Up to twenty-five (25) feet: Up to twenty-five (25) total square feet

Greater than twenty-five (25) feet not exceeding forty (40) feet: Up to forty (40) total square feet

(D)Other than single-family residential lots which shall be permitted one (1) flagpole per lot, each lot shall be allowed a maximum of three (3) flagpoles. A maximum of two (2) flags shall be allowed per flagpole. References to the number of flags and flagpoles and flag dimensions refer to both vertical flagpoles and mast-arm flagpoles (for example, staffs extending at an angle from a building). On United States and Florida holidays, there shall be no maximum flag size or number or other limitations on manner of display. This section shall not prevent marinas or boat docking facilities holding valid business tax receipts from displaying additional flags for navigation purposes as necessary.
So they turned the whole town into a HOA?

It’s both funny and sad when some two bit mayor fancies themself king with powers not even the president has. I wouldn’t follow that nonsense, in fact I’d go out of my way to violate his silly unlawful “rules”.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:18   #123

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

My previous comments aside, is the marina really the place for all this though? Don't most people use their boats to get away from this kind of thing?
Old 12-06-2020, 07:29   #124

Boat: Hylas 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
My previous comments aside, is the marina really the place for all this though? Don't most people use their boats to get away from this kind of thing?
Agreed! If it is a private marina, the marina can have any rule it wants. If it is a public marina, your first amendment rights give you the right to offend your neighbors.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:35   #125

Boat: 2014 Leopard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post
Well, there is precedent for that at the club.

One of the members purchased a used boat named 'Blow Me' ... he had to cover the transom until the name was changed.
Absolutely ridiculous, betting it was a "sail boat". and yes, we have a boat to get away and relax....from this very kind of nonsense. Sail on!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:40   #126

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawlmer View Post
Gee. And I thought pirate flags were kinda cool. Definitely not political or provocative.
Piracy is still a real problem in many parts of the world. Pirates still board vessels at sea and capture or kill people. Including people from my home town and people who departed from my marina (in Asia).

So I don't have a good feeling about real pirates.

Now when a dork decides it is cool to fly a pirate flag I wonder why. What is the cool thing about being a pretend pirate?

Would you feel it was also cool to fly an ISIS flag?
Old 12-06-2020, 08:02   #127

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTeinert02 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous, betting it was a "sail boat". and yes, we have a boat to get away and relax....from this very kind of nonsense. Sail on!
?

Why is sail boat in quotes, and yes, many sail to get some alone time, frankly I’m sure folks are annoyed by something you do, thus is living around other humans. Why do these things bother you so much?

If I saw some odd ball flag, someone having a blow me flag, a isis flag, whatever, I might go ask them about it and maybe even enjoy a debate over a beer, but really if you get some life experience you’ll see how much of a silly waste of effort getting bent out of shape over a novelty flag is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Piracy is still a real problem in many parts of the world. Pirates still board vessels at sea and capture or kill people. Including people from my home town and people who departed from my marina (in Asia).

So I don't have a good feeling about real pirates.

Now when a dork decides it is cool to fly a pirate flag I wonder why. What is the cool thing about being a pretend pirate?

Would you feel it was also cool to fly an ISIS flag?
How many pirates these days fly a Jolly Roger?

I’d guess slim to none.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:14   #128

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

smoke from barbecues

Offended by smoke from a BBQ? Is that really a thing? Hungry maybe.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:17   #129

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
?... How many pirates these days fly a Jolly Roger?

I’d guess slim to none.
Yes, I am sure you are right, none. Obviously there is no confusion about whether or not the person with one flying at his spreader is a real pirate.

But it IS a symbol of a very serious crime, meant in the old days to instill terror in the hearts of sailors who sighted it flying on an oncoming boat.

So I still ask, why does someone think that is it cool, What is cool about it?

Mostly people I have asked about it think it is funny. What is funny about flying a symbol which represents terrorist criminal activity?

Nobody has answered this for me.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:21   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post
There are already current club rules which address flags or signage that is lewd, profane, or deemed "offensive to most" either on the assigned slip or on the vessel while in dock.

What is under consideration is expanding those same rules to include religious, political, or commercial.
I just thought of something I think is funny. Going with the quote above what if the majority doesn’t like it? What majority? Club members, renters of slips, people using the waterway, etc

I feel a migraine coming on! Lol!

Good question though.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:22   #131

Boat: 2014 Leopard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
?

Why is sail boat in quotes, and yes, many sail to get some alone time, frankly I’m sure folks are annoyed by something you do, thus is living around other humans. Why do these things bother you so much?

If I saw some odd ball flag, someone having a blow me flag, a isis flag, whatever, I might go ask them about it and maybe even enjoy a debate over a beer, but really if you get some life experience you’ll see how much of a silly waste of effort getting bent out of shape over a novelty flag is.

How many pirates these days fly a Jolly Roger?

I’d guess slim to none.
NorthernMac, sail boat because ref: wind in sails. I doubt the boat named Blow Me is a power boat but I could be wrong. If asail boat I think the name is a clever twist, but apparentley the marina decided not. You misunderstood my response. (often a problem with text conversations) I'm not bothered by others beliefs or opinions. How boring life would bbe if we were all the same. I actually agree with you regarding having a beer and conversation. One of my favorite things to do when visiting a marina is walking the docks looking at the boats and their names. My comment was not agreeing with the offended but rather a life is good an too short comment.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:23   #132
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

If your boat is in a private marina or there is a marina HOA, then a policy could be drafted prohibiting offensive signs or flags which would be defined in their policy. There would have to be a city ordnance or equivalent which is tougher to pass and enforce.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:27   #133

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
Have a comply or goodbye policy.

Meaning.
No rainbow flags, no swastikas, no pirate flags, no crusader flags, no religious flags.

Nation flags and such no problem.

If you have no such policy make on.

There you go.

I have a better idea. After 30+ years in uniform protecting our inalienable and enumerated rights I am tired of hearing about outrage, anger, concerns or cancel culture. Live your life and respect anyone that manages to live theirs. Reserve outrage for things that truly matter!
Old 12-06-2020, 08:31   #134

Boat: Mitsubishi Montero (15.5ft)

While not a marina, I do run a small, private community online.

We only have (3) rules:

1. No A**holes. Everyone here is cool.
2. No Politics/Religion. We're all gearheads here.
3. Time Well-Spent. Don't waste others' time.

So far, so good. Of course, it's a lot easier to set the rules before people join than it is to send people packing after the fact.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:34   #135

Boat: Valiant 40

I take great pleasure in flying my TRUMP/2020 flag and enjoy robust and thorough discussions regarding my support of his agenda with those fellow members of my yacht club with differing views. I have been boating for 60 years and have never known true mariners to shy away from forthright discourse while maintaining respectful and courteous demeanor.

Our boats are reflections of who we are and we should all be able to respect each others whole beings.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, commercial, flags