Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 05:46   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Removing boom with Harken Lazy Jacks

We picked up our new-to-us boat last weekend. We're going to have her hauled (including unstepping the mast) on Saturday to give her some lovin', but we can't figure out how to remove the boom because of the lazy jacks (which our previous boat didn't have).

The boat has lazy jacks (I'm assuming Harken because it looks like the same set-up), and the straps are riveted in place. We can untie everything, but then how will be set it back up again when the mast is stepped in the spring? The blocks are too high to reach from the deck, so I suppose we could just go up the mast in a chair.

I feel like we're missing something obvious. Any suggestions?

http://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles/...t/PDF/4059.pdf
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:32   #2

Boat: Mariner 36
Re: Removing boom with Harken Lazy Jacks

Going aloft you'll likely find the lazy jack line is one continuos line spliced together. You will likely find the padeyes holding the blocks have been riveted on also. Then you'll be frustrated and 15ft off the deck.

Easy way is to remove the rivets on the underside of the boom. Tap the holes and use screws to hold the straps (padeyes?) in place. Tefgel on the screws will make it easy to remove at each un step.

When removing the boom, loose one screw, remove the second screw completely and remove the line from the padeye. Slide the lines forward to the mast and make off. Put the second screw back into padeye/boom and you're ready for re-rigging when it goes back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57   #3

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

Maybe your setup is different but on mine I just leave messenger lines run through the blocks and use that to re rig the lazy jacks in the spring. I can also reach mine by stepping on the halyard winches or the boom if I have the topping lift rigged.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:25   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner36bob View Post
Going aloft you'll likely find the lazy jack line is one continuos line spliced together. You will likely find the padeyes holding the blocks have been riveted on also. Then you'll be frustrated and 15ft off the deck.

Easy way is to remove the rivets on the underside of the boom. Tap the holes and use screws to hold the straps (padeyes?) in place. Tefgel on the screws will make it easy to remove at each un step.

When removing the boom, loose one screw, remove the second screw completely and remove the line from the padeye. Slide the lines forward to the mast and make off. Put the second screw back into padeye/boom and you're ready for re-rigging when it goes back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks! This is exactly what we ended up doing.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Harken