Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2023, 19:16   #1

Boat: 2012 Triumph 170CC
Renting Sailboat

Hello

Commercial pilot here used to renting aircraft. Learn the aircraft inside out, go for check ride, have my credentials and personally reviewed and charged per hour dry.

Is there anything like that for renting a sailboat or cruiser?

Located in Nanaimo but can travel from Victoria to Campbell River. Used and worked on marine vessels all my life so no stranger to the inner workings. Familiar with sailing but not 100% but would put 110% into learning by the owners way. Wife and i looking to get away for day trips and some multi day. Any advice would be appreciated. I understand the liabilities, the numerous expensive systems but i guarantee you, i take care of property better than my own. I understand the work, the cost and the headaches behind each vessel. Complimentary work on the vessel, working with the owner before any agreements are signed would be a great way to get to know each other.

Thank you
MattNDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 20:26   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Renting Sailboat

Yes. For a boat it is called a charter. A bareboat charter would be without a captain, which is what you refer to.

Many sailing schools and clubs allow students or others who have been checked out or have a certificate from another school to charter boats from the club. Major cruising destinations have companies that maintain fleets of charter vessels.

So, I would start by looking for a sailing club or school in your area.
Old 07-04-2023, 21:24   #3

As Warren/Wholybee mentions, sailing schools and yacht clubs are a source. There are also several online companies (boatsetter, getmyboat, click-n-bait) that bring together owners and renters - not sure if any in your area. Once you get some experience single-handling, you might have a shared-ownership option, where 2-8 "partners" share costs, sometimes maintenance and divide dates for usage. I have seen them advertised on Craiglist, where it was an established group and someone wants out and he advertises his "share", usually subject to approval from the group.

Here is a start, google "sailboat rentals, Nanaimo". I have also gone on a few "check rides" with a new-to-me FBO, so I see where you are coming from, except that I was never a commercial pilot, so I am sure your total time PIC has a few more digits than mine. Surprisingly, the online companies that match owners and renters do not always ask about experience or familiarity with the boat. And the owners may not get to communicate with you directly until after you have reserved and paid.

Of course, there are books and many youtube videos providing some instruction, maybe a source to review. A bareboat charter check-ride might include questions about chart symbols; not that you need to know every single item, but channel markers, restricted areas, etc. are certainly need-to-know items. Good luck.
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 01:35   #4

I’m also both a pilot and yachtsman and do hire/charter of both in various countries. In general, the process of bareboat yacht charter is less onerous than aircraft hire (I fly helicopters). I’ve never encountered a check-out for a yacht, but have always (excepting one time) had a short check flight before hiring a helicopter from a new location.

Some notes:

1) If you have qualifications such as RYA DaySkipper/CoastalSkipper/Yachtmaster (or USA/CAD equivalents) this will be a much easier process

2) Having a prepared Yachting CV (summary of your sailing / training) will be useful whether you hold qualifications or not – but is highly suggested for the latter

3) Have your own personal checklist of queries when you do the boat handover (saves getting out to sea and you can't find something or know how something works

4) Many locations may require you have an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) which are provided for free to people holding RYA Certificates
YachtBoyRMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 21:57   #5

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

There are charter companies in Nanaimo, Comox and Sidney, plus a fewout of Vancouver. Nanaimo Yacht Charters and Sailing Scholl has been around for many years and may be your easiest one to access. All charter by the week but I don't know whether they charter by the day. Desolation Sound Yacht Charters operate in Comox and several operate out of Sidney. You might find a few individual charterers ... I see them in Pacific Yachting magazine from time to time.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, renting, sail, sailboat