Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 15:33   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Resale value of newish vs oldish boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Exactly!

So if you spend $2,000-$6,000 dollars on one of these type boats that is still in good condition and sail it for a few years, what difference does it make if you have to give it away?

A decent new dodger costs around these prices. My $2,000 boat came with a dodger and bimini attachment

I've been sailing this one 6 years .........................while still working and looking around for another while at the same time learning that cruising can be a bit slow and boring

You can spend $200,000 to learn this or $6,000
If you have 6K in it and have gotten six years, she does not owe you a nickel.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 16:29   #47

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Why would I easily lose $25k on the $155k boat? And why will it cost more to store, haulout, etc?

Thanks.
The loss of $25k for a $155k boat.... I was referring to your 1st example a 36 ft Hunter that is less than 10 years old. The deprecation for such boat is or can still be considerable. Furthermore, to think one can sell such boat for the same price as it was purchased..... is (I think) wishful thinking, and on that Hunter (1st example) I think it would be prudent, that is if one likes doing the figures and a budget, to budget for a loss/depreciation of around $25k. The last boat in your examples (Nicholson) costs only $25k to buy (asking price), so the loss/depreciation will be minimal, and very unlikely to be as large as for the Hunter.

The first example (of four) you listed was a 36 ft Hunter, the last boat was a smaller boat, so a bigger boat costs more for a pen/slip, and haulout.
Old 07-02-2017, 16:35   #48

Quote:
Why would I easily lose $25k on the $155k boat? And why will it cost more to store, haulout, etc?

Thanks.
A big chunk of that loss would be Broker fees. (assuming you are willing to write off the moorage and insurance etc.) If you can find a boat needing nothing and have the discipline to do nothing.... You can keep it minimal. I've never found a boat needing nothing, other than new, well those need a lot actually.. so no I have never...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 00:42   #49

Boat: 1951 Alan Payne 28ft sloop

Ann has given you the answer but you need to understand what she is saying and the local market which is quite restrictive.
You will not go wrong with a well founded older boat such as a Top Hat or Swanson 28. Both relatively older and cheaper with a resale equivalent to your purchase price in a few years time. More importantly they will get you out there and back again. The Swanson definitely my choice as a blue water classic with plenty of room. Both no dearer than a lot newer boat as long as in decent nick with a reasonable motor. More importantly both are available in the area between Sydney and Newcastle. The thought of going to sea in a Catalina 30 makes me shudder.
Mossy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 00:44   #50

Boat: 1951 Alan Payne 28ft sloop

I meant to say "no dearer to maintain" than a newer boat
Mossy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:16   #51

Boat: no boat any more

...when it comes to boats, never ever make optimistic estimates of costs & work!
remember: it always costs twice as much & takes three times as long as foreseen! (& that is if you are an "old hand". for newbies: double!)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:30   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Folks keep harping on this or that type of boat having "poor resale value". If this is true, you should be able to buy it for very little money, since the current owner is reaping that poor value.

What I'm getting at is that older boats, if maintained in teh condition you find when buying will not loose much value in a couple of years. If you are compelled to add stuff, you will likely loose whatever money you invest, for it will have little impact on your successful selling price. Improvements can potentially make a boat easier to sell at normal market price, though, and that might be a good factor. But, if you price the boat a bit below market, and it is still in serviceable (not great) condition, the long wait for a sale may not be so long after all. We certainly see a lot of folks here on CF lusting after decent older boats at fair, low end prices, claiming to have cash in hand for the purchase.

Jim
Old 08-02-2017, 09:57   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
Ann has given you the answer but you need to understand what she is saying and the local market which is quite restrictive.
You will not go wrong with a well founded older boat such as a Top Hat or Swanson 28. Both relatively older and cheaper with a resale equivalent to your purchase price in a few years time. More importantly they will get you out there and back again. The Swanson definitely my choice as a blue water classic with plenty of room. Both no dearer than a lot newer boat as long as in decent nick with a reasonable motor. More importantly both are available in the area between Sydney and Newcastle. The thought of going to sea in a Catalina 30 makes me shudder.
I would shudder also. Coastal learning boat Catalina would be OK.
Old 08-02-2017, 21:15   #54

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yep. It's not just nostalgia that inspires my affection for the older boats. Many were so well built and are versatile designs in that many perform decently both up and downwind. And so in terms of the value they represent, the low cost vs. abilities, I try to keep folks looking at the "classics" as a good way to get into, or stay in, a sailboat without breaking a middle class bank account, for both purchase and maintenance.
While a boat like the Catalina 27 or 30 would not be my first choice, for resale value and for learning on coastally I think they are fine choices... but my my boat now is my first choice!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 22:09   #55

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

There is only one financial calculation.. Is cost greater than any available cash? The discipline is not with money.... It's literally everything else.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 22:10   #56

Boat: Lots of boats.

You showed 4 boat examples. My choice would be the Cole Pawtucket 35. IMO the best looking boat, inside and out (looks like a boat). This matters a lot to family members (trust me). Nicely appointed with extras and seems like a boat used on a regular basis. And priced well within your range. When trying to woo your family, you want an easy to sail boat that is comfy and provides room topside and below for some privacy.

Here is a video of one on the water:
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 00:12   #57

Boat: Simpson 12

Thank you everyone for your vast knowledge once again. I love this forum!

So, in summary, if we are going to buy a boat with a 1-2 year turn around it seems like the sensible thing is to:
1. buy a boat that is well known (for the right reasons) and has a reasonable following
2. buy an old boat that has bottomed out it's depreciation that has been well maintained
3. expect to spend a considerable amount of time selling it, no matter what
4. expect to lose money, no matter what

Have I missed anything?
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:30   #58

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

So, in summary, if we are going to buy a boat with a 1-2 year turn around it seems like the sensible thing is to:
1. buy a boat that is well known (for the right reasons) and has a reasonable following
2. buy an old boat that has bottomed out it's depreciation that has been well maintained

Have I missed anything?
Perfect! You got it!
(But my boat's the best)
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:22   #59

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:

Have I missed anything?
If it's priced right it won't take long to sell it. At the time you sell it the right price is determined by the market conditions, not by what you paid for it or hope to get for it. If you can do the market research and be realistic about what it says you can anticipate a relatively quick sale.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:39   #60

Quote:

Have I missed anything?
You have got it! Best of luck.

Tags
boat, sale