Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 04:31   #1

Retiring to the sea.

Hi All,
Here’s the plan, retiring soon, want to buy a sailing boat, take the dual approach of RYC training up to day skipper while getting as much practical on the water time on my own boat in and around Pembrokeshire Wales.
No current sailing experience outside of Parts 1 & 2 RYA basic sailing and a bit of reservoir Dinghy sailing (2 sessions).
Looking to spend maximum of 5-7k (GBP) on something 22ft-ish with a view to spending the spring and summer immersed in the practical and theory of sailing with the intention of coastal sailing down to the Bristol channel, across to north Devon, around Lands’ End to the south coast of England the following season.
Do-able??
Colin.
wicksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Retiring to the sea.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Colin.

Sounds like a good plan, to me.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Retiring to the sea.

Hi Colin..
Welcome to CF Taffy..
Ahh... Pembrooke and nearby my favourite pub of ages past the Carew Arms... glory days of hippydom in the '70's lock-ins... guitars and songs...
If I may recommend the Hurley 22, Galion 22 or.. the best for accomodation Westerly Pagent/Pentland 23
Have a grand summer

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24   #4

Thanks for the welcome chaps.
I think it’s a good plan to. Westerly pageant, the very boat I’ve been fancying. This is tricky. I’m in danger of thinking I know what I’m doing.
Colin.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Retiring to the sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy View Post
Thanks for the welcome chaps.
I think it’s a good plan to. Westerly pageant, the very boat I’ve been fancying. This is tricky. I’m in danger of thinking I know what I’m doing.
Colin.
Sweet looking one on e-bay right now... or it was a coupla days back...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00   #6

Boat: Cruise-a-Home, 42 ft

I tried to teach myself how to sail. I thought I was doing pretty good, until I spent an afternoon with a real sailor and he showed me a thing or two.

Having been there, done that; my best advice is to just do it. But... get as many salty sea dogs on your boat at possible (not at one time, obviously) to impart their knowledge.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30   #7

Good advice. I will add, sign up to a sailing club, to my to do list.

Wicksy.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy View Post
Hi All,
Here’s the plan, retiring soon, want to buy a sailing boat, take the dual approach of RYC training up to day skipper while getting as much practical on the water time on my own boat in and around Pembrokeshire Wales.
No current sailing experience outside of Parts 1 & 2 RYA basic sailing and a bit of reservoir Dinghy sailing (2 sessions).
Looking to spend maximum of 5-7k (GBP) on something 22ft-ish with a view to spending the spring and summer immersed in the practical and theory of sailing with the intention of coastal sailing down to the Bristol channel, across to north Devon, around Lands’ End to the south coast of England the following season.
Do-able??
Colin.
Do-able? Yes! But 99% of things with boats is doable - the question really centres around how likely for "You".

I have never done the trip you envisage, but that voyage not something to be taken lightly on any sized boat or with 20 years experiance and a full crew.

Nonetheless (IMO) doable from your starting position of experiance (lack of!) and boat size - just would be more likely (and more fun) with a bigger boat, a full crew and more experiance........Not to say that your trip would likely end badly (although possible! - on any journey and boat) just that after getting the boat and own experiance you may well think to self, "mmmmm.....maybe a bigger boat would be a better / more fun idea......or I would prefer to go somewhere else "....and nothing wrong with that (indeed much to commend it! - this stuff is meant to be fun!, ain't always - but it's meant to be!). Boats is often about coming up with a Plan B (and B often stands for "Better" )......I only mention it as something to bear in mind and not to dissuade you from even trying.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote