Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 12:27   #46
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Rio Dulce

It is a pretty nice store. Sounds like something Richard would say though. I think what he meant was that it is assisted by his Port Supply discount. He is always trying outdo his ex across the bay at MAR.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:01   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Again, its mostly semantics, but Richard was very specific when I talked to him about it years ago as the store was first opening.

MAR used to have a decent chandlery too. I assume they still do. You could order anything from Port Supply there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:59   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You are correct about Lauderdale.

If Trinidad ever opens their borders you can get quality work at pretty good rates at Power Boats or Peaks in Chaguaramos. I have no idea how rates compare but Trinidad is the lowest in the eastern Caribbean.

Also, Trinidad is out of the hurricane zone.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You are correct about Lauderdale.

If Trinidad ever opens their borders you can get quality work at pretty good rates at Power Boats or Peaks in Chaguaramos. I have no idea how rates compare but Trinidad is the lowest in the eastern Caribbean.

Also, Trinidad is out of the hurricane zone.
The Rio is technically in the latitude of hurricanes, but it is surrounded by mountains...no hurricane has ever made it in there. Ive been there during hurricanes relatively nearby in Honduras/Belize and all we got was lots of rain and moderate winds.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:39   #50

A couple of earlier threads re refitting on the Rio Dulce:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 11-10-2020, 07:55   #51

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Again, its mostly semantics, but Richard was very specific when I talked to him about it years ago as the store was first opening. Lol

MAR used to have a decent chandlery too. I assume they still do. You could order anything from Port Supply there.

The Mar marine store is not much anymore, mostly left over stuff. There is a great new store next to the bridge that can get all kinds of stuff. They even keep sealants in a refer.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:58   #52
cruiser

The store near the bridge is called Dismar. They are a fishing store but carry a lot of marine products, coatings, and fiberglass supplies. There is a machine shop now on the Mar property that although very expensive can do first rate fabricating in stainless and aluminum. It is not the typical Guatemalan machine shop. They have computerized milling machines and lathes, the shop is spotless.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:19   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
The store near the bridge is called Dismar. They are a fishing store but carry a lot of marine products, coatings, and fiberglass supplies. There is a machine shop now on the Mar property that although very expensive can do first rate fabricating in stainless and aluminum. It is not the typical Guatemalan machine shop. They have computerized milling machines and lathes, the shop is spotless.
There used to be an expat in San Felipe who had a proper machine shop. Dont know if he still does.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:30   #54

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:

I had a very interesting discussion in that shop with the owner of the equipment a year or so ago.
After jumping over puddles, where chickens ran just outside the shop, I was amazed to find the inside spotless and well laid out, with excellent equipment down to the kiln.
Turns out he subcontracted for Boeing, and then later turned to the medical field.
“Oh, really?” I said. “Yup,” he replied, as he leaned over and opened a drawer in his desk from which he withdrew a shiny titanium hip prosthesis, a keepsake from his previous career.
Quite a disorienting experience.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:32   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
I had a very interesting discussion in that shop with the owner of the equipment a year or so ago.
After jumping over puddles, where chickens ran just outside the shop, I was amazed to find the inside spotless and well laid out, with excellent equipment down to the kiln.
Turns out he subcontracted for Boeing, and then later turned to the medical field.
“Oh, really?” I said. “Yup,” he replied, as he leaned over and opened a drawer in his desk from which he withdrew a shiny titanium hip prosthesis, a keepsake from his previous career.
Quite a disorienting experience.
A bit like walking thru a portal to another world.
Old 13-10-2020, 09:55   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There used to be an expat in San Felipe who had a proper machine shop. Dont know if he still does.
That would have been Dennis (I think is his name). Same shop but now at Mar. Don't know if he is still involved. Ceasar (I think is the name) runs the shop. I think that Dennis got accused of ruining an aluminum boat hull and maybe sued. That is what I remember and may be rumor, don't quote me.
Old 13-10-2020, 11:41   #57

Quote:
That would have been Dennis (I think is his name). Same shop but now at Mar. Don't know if he is still involved. Ceasar (I think is the name) runs the shop. I think that Dennis got accused of ruining an aluminum boat hull and maybe sued. That is what I remember and may be rumor, don't quote me.
Thought it might have been Dennis' shop...just moved.

Sue someone in Guate?! [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji28] Must be a naive expat....Guatemalans have more direct methods of conflict resolution.
Old 13-10-2020, 20:59   #58
cruiser

A French citizen suing an American citizen in Guatemala court. Will it ever be resolved?...
Old 16-10-2020, 10:08   #59

Quote:
A French citizen suing an American citizen in Guatemala court. Will it ever be resolved?...
Not in their lifetime!