Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 07:28   #16

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: Rivers: Sails or bare poles?

one thing not mentioned - is the current really effects tacking. I've spent a lot of time on the Columbia River at Kennewick. It was frustrating in light wind when tacking back across the river - you would go down river and loose all the head way you made on the opposite tack. This was the main reason for moving my boat to the Snake River which is more of a lake where I was because of all the Dams.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:37   #17

We actually bought our Gemini on Lake Pepin (didn't sail there though). It's certainly large enough to do a bit of sailing.

As long as the boat has a reliable engine, you can always pull the sails in and use the engine...if you want to pass thru the locks, they will want you using the engine anyway.

Realistically, if you want to get from point A to B, 99% of cruisers would just crank up the engine.

The big choice to make is speed vs effiency. A sailboat will take you at a brisk walking speed under sail (slower if wind isn't good) or motor. A planning power boat can go much faster giving you the ability to take longer trips.

With a planning boat, a weekend trip a 50-100miles away is no big deal, 2-5hrs travel time. The same trip on a sailboat, figure 1-2 long days each way. Of course that, that speed comes at a cost. A 50mile motor with a sailboat might burn 5-10gallons. A 50 mile motor with a 35' planning boat might burn 50 gallons.

For weekending with an occasional trip, a planning power boat is a great option (and what we had when doing that). It allows a much larger cruising range and because we weren't doing a lot of miles, the fuel consumption was acceptable. When we started long distance cruising, we went to a sailboat as speed was less important but covering a few thousand miles, fuel cost did play a factor.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 13:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I sail downwind in restricted space with a furling genoa and a mizzen staysail because I can put everything away without heading up.
Old 24-02-2017, 14:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rivers: Sails or bare poles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Wow, that is a tour de force of sailing skill! The Frome (a.k.a. Wareham Creek) is less than a boatlength wide over most of its length

I love it up there! But I would only dare to go up in my dinghy. You are trying to give us bilge keel envy, I can see . . .

Hard to believe that this idyllic place sits right on top of the largest known pool of petroleum in Europe.
Ride up with the tide.. spend a few hours for lunch and a couple of beers then ride back down..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 16:13   #20
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If I'm in an area with restricted room to maneuver, channel or whatever, or in something like the cut coming into Panama City which can have strong currents and has big rocks on both sides, I have the motor running and in gear, just in case
We have our boat on the St. Lawrence and I agree with you, except that we will motor sail if we get a boost from the wind direction (fighting 2-3 knots of current in some parts makes going up river quite slow).

And when we leave the dock, we will take the darn sail covers off and make the sails ready to use! If your motor dies or your prop gets entangled it could save you from embarrassment

We also make sure the anchor is ready apart from a tie-down.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 16:46   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ride up with the tide.. spend a few hours for lunch and a couple of beers then ride back down..
Sure, but I will admit I do like to have the engine ticking over, just in case. There is nothing like going around a bend and meeting a catamaran to set the pulse racing

We did run aground and cleaned the bottom of the keels quite nicely on the gravel bank downstream of the bridge much the amusement of the tourists who were sat on the quay eating ice cream. On the way back down we took out the windy thing on top of the mast on a tree branch, its never been quite the same since and off a couple of degrees which gives us some odd tacking angles.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 18:11   #22

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

As many have said, it depends!

We've sailed on The Hudson River many times from the Battery north the Newburg and love it... yes, sometimes it's slow,going and a lot of tacking, but that usually means I mistimed something ;-)

On the other hand, I always motor up & down the East River... not saying you can't sail it, I simply find it a bit too narrow for my tastes.

Tags
sail, sails