Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 07:09   #16

Re: Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Fliorida Fraud

I just want to be clear with everybody I never got a receipt when I asked repeatedly for any repairs done and payments paid I also repeatedly said I want to know how much it is before you do the work he always said it will be very cheap I always ask for receipts or something in writing he never did at the end I asked to sit down with him and record the conversation since he never does what he says he immediately left the boat and I never saw him again that's why it's fraud now he has my boat sequestered
guateman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:17   #17

If there is no paperwork, he will have a hard time enforcing a mechanic's lien, the basis for holding your boat. There are strict laws about this, even in Florida. Much as I disagree with your expectation of a $6k repower, you do have recourse in this case due to paperwork laziness on his part. He has a burden to show you authorized the work. If there's no paperwork, he will lose. If there is paperwork (or texts or emails), he will win.

Good luck. Be careful with your expectations. In all fairness, repowering two 200hp engines and converting from gas to diesel for $20k sounds pretty cheap to me as he said, so this is very likely a case of misunderstanding, not fraud. Why you would proceed without paperwork is on you, not him My hunch is you knew it was too-good-to-be-true but wanted it to be true, so you proceeded anyway.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:18   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Your story has just changed.

I’m not inclined to believe your side without input from the other side. Your YouTube video is a bit incoherent, and I see your getting about the same treatment in the hulltruth forum.

If your speaking the absolute truth, you’ve just been taught an expensive lesson. But I feel like there’s a lot missing here.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:43   #19

Thank. You all and yes I learned never trust tiim concannon of Riverside Marina he is total pos

By the way it's not the money I already got another boat it's people screwing you over that everybody needs to know about and there is nothing else to this story that's exactly what happened and I have witnesses to it but to go to court case on this it's another 10 or $15,000 screw it I got another big boat I'm happy
guateman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:20   #20

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Where is this video that is referred to?
Can you please post a link.
Thanks.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:28   #21

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

From the very beginning, your story wobbled on its feet, as Tim and Sally represent two entirely different managements on the same piece of dirt.

For those looking on in amazement, Tim is one of the brothers who split with Sally and Sue. While I cannot confirm it, I've heard from someone recently there that they've now gone to the extent of literally splitting the yard.

Two travel lifts. One each of the previous two shared bathrooms. Etc.

The likelihood of any deal being between you and Tim and Sally is remote, as they tolerate each other, not cooperate with each other.

However, I'm glad you have another ride. You've heard from others on the realities of repower costs from others.

2+two don't add up to your stated 4 here...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:41   #22

Boat: Hunter 37C
Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Fliorida Fraud

Why did you give some $20K cash and not get a receipt? Then you continue to work with someone who refused to provide a receipt or a solid estimate?
If I gave someone $20K cash and didn’t get a receipt/invoice I would have immediately called the authorities.
I have lots of questions...
I have a hard time believing a marina began work without you signing something (that puts them at an insurance risk not to mention they need a record for taxes)

And to reiterate what everyone else has said there’s no way you’d pay a boatyard in Florida only $6k labor to remove and convert/install a different twin propulsion system.
And $20K for two Volvos, even with only one totally rebuilt, still sounds like a good deal...Volvo’s are pretty expensive motors compared to like a Perkins...

Doesn’t seem like the OPs first language is English so maybe this is a case of an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
4 years ago I repowered a 28' sailboat for $1,500. $750 for a used 2QM15 and $750 to a "boatyard guy" which included the crane use.

Boat owners are their own worst enemies when it comes to (over)paying for repairs and whatnot.

My previous boat had that engine from 1980. "Repowering" with a very old, if still serviceable, engine will drive the price down by thousands and thousands!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:49   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by guateman9 View Post
paid 20k cash (*he refused to give me receipt) for two vovlos
You gave a guy $20K in cash and didn't get a receipt? Bwahahahaha!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:56   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You think you got screwed for a 20k repower?

You thought a repower would only cost 6k?
You beat me to it. In think he only heard what he wanted to, maybe the labor alone?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:22   #26

YouTube riff by OP. Good news it's under 2-mins:

Good lesson here on flaming a company - if not done intelligently, you risk flaming yourself, not the intended target. Not a very becoming video if you ask me.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:51   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
YouTube riff by OP. Good news it's under 2-mins:

Good lesson here on flaming a company - if not done intelligently, you risk flaming yourself, not the intended target. Not a very becoming video if you ask me.

Peter
Sounds like naivety from the start from the OP. I would hate to see it blemish a marina that may have done not a thing wrong.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:18   #28

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

$6000 for a twin engine repower?
Come on man. You are not giving us the whole story.
$6000 would barley cover the labor.
A good certified mechanic costs at least $95 an hour.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:49   #29

Boat: Quickstep 24

I'm confused. There's too many numbers here. 6K, 20K, 40K, 32K, 8 to 10K 16K and more.
I hear that he expected a bill for $6,000. Then it became $20,000. Late he claims it was "a 16 thousand dollar bill". But he claims the marina kept his boat worth $40,000. How could he pay the $20K (or 16K) AND the marina kept the boat? I suspect he never paid the 16/20K. But he did mention an interim payment of ???. I recall the number 32 but forget where it came in.

He reports: "i paid 40k for two engines and repower on a 25k boat" but later on the video says: " I was an idiot and lost a $40,000 boat..." So is it a 25K boat or a 40K boat? Or was it 25K boat but repowered become a 40K boat. Did he pay out (or get billed) 20K or 16K? Or neither? Sometimes the engines seem to be part of the final bill and other times they don't. ???

If the craft is truly worth $32K (or 40K), I'll pay the 16K bill (or is it the 20K bill) and then sell the boat! Sounds like free money to me (after the survey, of course!)

He complained about no paperwork, but then slipped in at one point "except for the last bill". Wait a minute ... I thought there was "no paperwork". This sounds like paperwork. Any time one forks over money and is refused a receipt ... time to stop the movie and get authorities involved. Pay by check or credit card -- then there IS a receipt.

The obvious problem here is that the definition of his whole issue is not clearly spelled out with a timeline and numbers that add up and reflect one reality.

When naming persons responsible for a named marina in a fraud complaint one had best be transparent and honest with the story -- all the way through. Full Stop. <cleanup>
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 14:07   #30

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

I would swear I saw this boat advertised on Craigslist a while back. Ad said repowered but needed to be finished. Tower off the boat as I recall. How can he sell a boat the marina has a lein on? hmmmmm?
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote