Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17   #76

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
...what is the reason you choose to cruise in an area where there is a potential for violence when there are so many places in the world that the issue of safety would not be a concern?
...for those of you who have criticized Socaldmax for his wise, prudent and experienced comments...
Thanks for the morning humor.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22   #77

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Thanks for the morning humor.

Sadly Terra Nova . . the joke's on you! Dream on, brother! Dream on!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34   #78

My boat got boarded by a thief once. Same MO as described in the OP. My reaction was different. I didn't grab my pants, and I didn't have a gun. I just went toward the perp yelling. He was quicker than me, jumped overboard and disappeared. He didn't get a thing. Pants and guns are for pussies.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39   #79

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
as i personally believe it is our presentation that attracts folks with nothing to club us in our sleep and remove our precious things--laptops and cellular fones and fun toys for big and small boys, i keep my boat a lil rough looking.
it works.
no one approaches me or my boat.
i have been safe for 5 years now. in a strange land you all diss for narco warfare. what a miracle.
rodl.
i have seen the boats the bandidos enter-- shiny big and new. kayaks and toys on decks. beautiful new items. shining like the top of bald guys' heads. you can see the beacon calling the bandidos for miles.
show of wealth =bandidos.
when will (they) ever learn.
Geeeze Zee why did you have to bring shiny bald heads into the discussion
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Pants and guns are for pussies.
Funniest thing I've read all day. Pants are for pussies!

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:02   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It looks to me like he'll go to great lengths and inconvenience to not be a victim. Essentially, the thieves are dictating how he should live his life.
Not sure I would call closing your companion way "great lengths".

Quote:
unless you have some sort of strong security screen door to let air through.
That is exactly what he has. See the picture earlier in this thread.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:23   #82

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
Funniest thing I've read all day. Pants are for pussies!

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ones without zippers? yes, probably.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:41   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am sorry, Bob, but YOUR security was totally lacking!
Don't blame the security guards when YOU did not have your companionway locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Not sure I would call closing your companion way "great lengths".

That is exactly what he has. See the picture earlier in this thread.

Oh, you mean that thing? The aluminum fake security screen any male over the age of 15 could rip out of the tracks and bend in half with one hand? I think we have different definitions of security screen. I'm thinking of something that would actually keep a person out, made out of steel and powder coated. I had some new hasps made for my trailers from 2 layers of 4130 plate, welded together. Much better than the original that was cut through with a pair of bolt cutters like a hot knife cuts through butter.

Did you notice that Mark blamed the VICTIM instead of the napping security guard? The security guard's JOB is to prevent theft at night, not to sleep!

Telling the victim it's his fault he got robbed is EXACTLY like telling a rape victim it's her fault for wearing suggestive clothing in a foreign nightclub.

Sorry, I don't buy that train of thought, and anyone who does...

well, discuss it with your better half. See how that works out for ya.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:58   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
as i personally believe it is our presentation that attracts folks with nothing to club us in our sleep and remove our precious things--laptops and cellular fones and fun toys for big and small boys, i keep my boat a lil rough looking.
it works.
no one approaches me or my boat.
i have been safe for 5 years now. in a strange land you all diss for narco warfare. what a miracle.
rodl.
i have seen the boats the bandidos enter-- shiny big and new. kayaks and toys on decks. beautiful new items. shining like the top of bald guys' heads. you can see the beacon calling the bandidos for miles.
show of wealth =bandidos.
when will (they) ever learn.
I think you're living with a false sense of security. Some day some loco might just decide that you're actually very wealthy and just putting on an act. There are plenty of them out there who feel they have nothing to lose, like the kid who shoots the 7-11 clerk over a measly $15.

Was it worth it? Hell no. But that doesn't bring the clerk back to life. Senseless things happen all of the time, violent criminals are quite often not the most rational of people, certainly not as rational as you give them credit for. I hope you remain safe, but no way would I guarantee it just because you let your boat look like it does.

Intelligent, honest people have jobs, or are at least willing to work for what they get. Stupid, dishonest people resort to theft to take what they want because they either can't get a job, or don't want to work. Those of you who make it so easy for them to steal from you by flaunting your wealth or not securing your boat (on those points I do agree with Zee and Mark) just make it worse for themselves and others. I stop short of making my boat look like a derelict or blaming the victim, the blame should always rest with the criminal.
Old 05-02-2016, 14:52   #85

Boat: Catalina 470

It's completely not blaming the victim, it's about being responsible from your end, and minimizing the opportunity. In regards to not traveling any where there is potential problems or violence, well maybe you should just stay in the great Lakes and not go cruising else where, as safe as most places are there is a inherent risk that comes with cruising. Ive only recently adopted the security door idea, I don't see it as altering my behavior a great deal, I don't see it as the bad guy wins and I do see it as a deterent regarding petty crime.
The blaming the victim thing is just blowing Marks post out of context, in a perfect world there is no risk of crime, cruising is not a perfect world. One of the great things about cruising is the level of self responsibility individuals learn, that can be applied here without excusing the thiefs behavior.
Hey, I've been one of these victim's and it's a lesson that I've learned, as I'm not a victim.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:04   #86

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nothing I own is worth me killing someone else over. If that makes me a 'victim' then I think we have very different definitions of the word!
Old 05-02-2016, 15:25   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
My boat got boarded by a thief once. Same MO as described in the OP. My reaction was different. I didn't grab my pants, and I didn't have a gun. I just went toward the perp yelling. He was quicker than me, jumped overboard and disappeared. He didn't get a thing. Pants and guns are for pussies.
Probably scared you'd rape him..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 18:34   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's completely not blaming the victim, it's about being responsible from your end, and minimizing the opportunity. In regards to not traveling any where there is potential problems or violence, well maybe you should just stay in the great Lakes and not go cruising else where, as safe as most places are there is a inherent risk that comes with cruising. Ive only recently adopted the security door idea, I don't see it as altering my behavior a great deal, I don't see it as the bad guy wins and I do see it as a deterent regarding petty crime.
The blaming the victim thing is just blowing Marks post out of context, in a perfect world there is no risk of crime, cruising is not a perfect world. One of the great things about cruising is the level of self responsibility individuals learn, that can be applied here without excusing the thiefs behavior.
Hey, I've been one of these victim's and it's a lesson that I've learned, as I'm not a victim.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I didn't take Mark's post out of context, I quoted the entire post. He clearly states, "don't blame the security guard when you didn't have your companionway locked."

I see no blame being placed on the thief, no blame on the sleeping guard, plenty of blame being placed on the victim.

I'm taking it quite literally. How do you interpret that statement any other way?
Old 05-02-2016, 19:08   #89

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
It looks to me like he'll go to great lengths and inconvenience to not be a victim. Essentially, the thieves are dictating how he should live his life.

I won't let scum like that dictate my lifestyle to me......
I'm curious how attempting to prevent scum from entering your boat is considered letting the scum dictate a lifestyle, but sleeping with a gun under your pillow is not?

Not passing judgement on which protection method is best, I view that as a personal decision.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:44   #90

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

The bad part about having to lock up because of sneak thieves is if you were to wake from a deep sleep to find your boat sinking or burning then not be able to git the bars open in your panic all because you let a bunch of no account criminals dictate your lifestyle.

Long shot but it could happen.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, nassau