Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 12:54   #31
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Rogue-wave tragedy at the Farallons

It's a distressing thought, but the Farallons are famous for their shark populations. Seems like recovery might not a likely scenario.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:02   #32

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

The latest update from Lectronic Latitude has been posted relative to this matter. For those of you that are not West Coast savvy...go to Latitude 38...and then click Lectronic Latitude.. and updates..there are pictures of the vessel on the rocks and one of the crew just after passing under the Golden Gate Bridge...heartbreaking.....unfortunately no further recoveries from this tragic accident.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:16   #33

Boat: Able 50

It must have taken a huge wave to throw the boat up so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ba-yacht17_SFC0110271372.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	40041
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:20   #34
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It must have taken a huge wave to throw the boat up so far.

Attachment 40041
not to mention this picture was likely taken at low tide and the boat went o n the rocks at high tide-IMHO
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:33   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

The picture was undoubtedly taken at low tide, but she went aground just 2 hours after the low tide. And high tide wasn't for another 5 hours. But the winds were reported at 20 to 25 knots and the swell was at 10 foot with chop. That must have contributed to the final outcome.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:59   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
We are all in shock here in San Francisco, and I'm sure that we are all going to try to learn something from this tragedy.
Shock is the right word. I've connected with a few friends who raced yesterday, and the worst part of it for them was that they couldn't safely get close enough to assist without endangering their own boats as well.

I'm happy to see that the Monday-morning quarterbacking that Latitude 38 reported is taking place on some internet forums isn't taking place here at CF. We cruisers don't always understand racers, even though of us who learned to trim sails on the race course. The cautious rarely win sailboat races; risk-takers rarely make great cruisers. Tonight however, it's good for us to remember that we're all sailors, and that the sea can be just as unforgiving to cruisers as to racers.
Old 16-04-2012, 20:31   #37

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

With non diddled GPS signals and receivers being so cheap these days, why can't the future races require proof after the race of boats rounding a certain waypoint of a specified lat/lon safely to the West of the islands?
I think it would be a cheap, easy way to save future grief for everyone.

Flame away if you think this is Monday morning quarterbacking....

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 21:14   #38

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Ocean racing is "woolly buggers".....not for the faint of heart...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 21:48   #39

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive here, but the initial reports indicated the first wave hitting the boat caused a man overboard situation and subsequently caused the boat to turn around to respond and subsequently being hit by a second wave. Assuming initial reports were accurate, wouldn't being tethered in foul weather make the most sense? I'm surprised ASA rules or simply race rules for this particular route don't require this.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:27   #40

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer

I had the same thought about being tethered in. Checked it out with an experienced friend, a commercial seaman. Like many safety devices this one has its limits, according to him, he has seen the parts fail with loss of crew overboard and also seen internal injuries from big seas hitting some one well strapped in, causing broken ribs and internal injuries. However, it seems that this incident may well have been avoided if everyone stayed aboard the boat in the first place.

Nonetheless, I am planning to install a jackline system on my boat before I go out there.
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:34   #41

Not only obviously not tethered, but one of the photo's I have seen of the crew did not show all of them wearing PFD"s. Surely the use of a good off-shore PFD and Jacklines should be mandatory on this and other races?
The ClipperRace boats have one crew member whose job is "gatekeeper" who not only watches who is on the deck, but that they are tethered in. Excellent idea in my view.
Bazzer
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:46   #42

Tethers may likely have helped prevent the initial MOB scenario, but in my opinion that's putting the focus/future prevention in the wrong place. They were clearly way too close to an extremely nasty lee shore (even in benign conditions it should be given a lot of space) with no margin for error. It's analogous to blaming an injury/death on failure to wear a seat belt when the cause of the car crash was reckless driving.

We all make the mistake of rolling the dice sometimes and hope we have luck on our side. In this case, sadly they did not. My condolences to the families of those lost, and best wishes to those that survived and have to live with it now.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:51   #43

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
Perhaps I'm being a bit naive here, but the initial reports indicated the first wave hitting the boat caused a man overboard situation and subsequently caused the boat to turn around to respond and subsequently being hit by a second wave. Assuming initial reports were accurate, wouldn't being tethered in foul weather make the most sense? I'm surprised ASA rules or simply race rules for this particular route don't require this.
Perhaps if you are really serious about saving lives you could propose limits for wind and waves. For example, the race could be called if the winds get up over 15 knots or the waves reach one meter. In this scenario I think experienced racers would be pretty safe.

I think experienced sailors know the risks and can plan accordingly with respect to their personal risk tolerance.

I for one don't need someone making rules for my personal safety. BTW, I am pretty conservative in safety practices on the water. However, that is my choice.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:25   #44

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
With non diddled GPS signals and receivers being so cheap these days, why can't the future races require proof after the race of boats rounding a certain waypoint of a specified lat/lon safely to the West of the islands?
I think it would be a cheap, easy way to save future grief for everyone.

Flame away if you think this is Monday morning quarterbacking....
The race instructions are quite simple. Round the Farallons and return. It is up to the Master of the boat to make the decision as to how close or far one stands from the "mark". At some point, one has to/needs to take responsibility for ones own actions/decisions. Your comments are similar to the Monday Morning Quarter-backing/Lamenting that went on after the Fastnet in '79. The race committee stipulates the marks. Period. Most race instructions today carry all kinds of disclaimers. Racing--in fact sailing--includes inherent/native dangers. If you can't handle it, don't go to sea. How hard is that to understand?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:33   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is up to the Master of the boat to make the decision as to how close or far one stands from the "mark". At some point, one has to/needs to take responsibility for ones own actions/decisions.
That's now part of the Racing Rules of Sailing. Rule 4, about the decision to race, specifies: 'The responsibility for a boat’s decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone."

Tags
rogue wave