Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 18:43   #31

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit
Re: Rogue Wave Video - Best I Have Seen

On climate change, I would have thought that higher ocean temperatures (which is where most of the additional heat is being sunk atm) would drive more intense storm convection, higher winds and thence waves.

I have a theory about boats surviving big waves (but also a hunch it aint my theory - I think I read it somewhere ages ago in a storm survival book by a South African guy whos name escapes me atm) that it is all about force dissipation in the grip of a monster break, when it all goes wrong.
The strongest shape is one which cant be trapped - a sphere (which is why Japanese glass fishing floats can survive anything except hitting the bricks). A beamy mono with lots of tumblehome best fits this theory for boats. Multihulls are worst with lots of pointy bits to catch, and all that consequent force being directed to the crossbeams and connections.
Of course the rig is likely to be gone in the first moments of the worst kind of experience, after which a beamy mono will maybe skid, roll and tumble away the forces of the boil, then self right with any luck. Small portlights (or heavy storm boards on the windows) and storm-boards across any hatches is going to help, but needs to be strongly set up beforehand, ready for deployment. Rigging shears should be securely restrained so that they cant get lost in the mayhem below.
I once saw a little Tasman 26 looking just like this coming into port off a stinking high sea looking very snug and secure, as we set out in our rather less well prepped 24. 9.5metres+ was the highest wave we saw (or didn't see) that night according to the local lightkeeper, but of course his measurements don't necessarily take in superimposed tabulars. We realised it was a monster as we started to surf it right at the crest (after an impressive elevator ride) and couldn't even see the bottom in the moonlight, unlike all the others before it. On the tiller, I opted to cut away as soon as we started to surf, and we got knocked by the (still smallish) crest at the top of the wave, rather than race down the face to a more dubious future. That was the only time I have ever had reason to consider that manoeuvre, but would certainly try it again in the same circumstances, ie running before, and right at the top of a monster as it starts to break, wait a second or two for steerage way and inertia (or planing boat speed ideally) then hardover back through the crest.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster I know - multiple barrel rolls are on the cards if it doesn't work out, but I was certain Davey Jones was waiting for us at the bottom of that monster...
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 21:03   #32

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

There was a very good documentary about rogue waves a few years ago on one the science channel, or the Smithsonian channel, or something similar. They mentioned that there were various causes for rogue waves. Some are predictable or perhaps I should use the more accurate phrase that they can be modeled scientifically.

We must also remember that a rogue wave is not defined by its absolute height, although that is often what is most notable. A rogue wave is defined as a wave that is more than twice the significant wave height (sometimes four or five times), defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. Although rogue waves are most often associated with the open ocean, they can also occur in lakes (most famously the Three Sisters of the Lake Superior) and even not too far from coasts. The Agulhas Current off of South Africa is a known breeding ground for rogue waves.

There are three types of freak or rogue waves that we currently know of. They are "Walls of water" travelling up to 10 km (6 mi) through the ocean, "Three Sisters" which are groups of three waves, and single, giant storm waves, building up to fourfold the storm's waves height and collapsing after some seconds. In the third edition of Heavy Weather Sailing by Adlard Coles there are two or three amazing photos of the third type of freak waves. They were even more frightening than the photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Huge Wave.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	188641

In addition to rogue waves, there are rogue wave holes.

Rogue waves are not limited to water either. They can occur in microwaves, liquid helium, and light waves.

One expert thinks that at any given moment there are ten rogues on the oceans. Interestingly, they have captured some of these in satellite images. Other experts thing that one in every ten thousand waves is a rogue. It also seems that in some inlets and river mouths as many as three out of every one thousand waves are extreme. The good news is that the ocean is a very large place and the odds of one seeing a rogue is probably smaller than getting whacked by a car. Actually that's definitely true here in the city!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 21:13   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Actually the likelihood of seeing a rogue is also dependant on where you are at.

observations off the B.C. coast and elsewhere have shown that, perhaps surprisingly, a wave twice as high as any of the preceding 30 tends to occur about once a day, and slightly more frequently as one approaches the shore.

While being on the water for a period of five minutes or so in relatively calm conditions might lead to assumptions that the sea state is calming down, this can be followed by a large wave without any warning.

Rogue waves and unexpected waves are not uncommon in B.C. waters. Much of the physics is understood, but the topic is still one of active research.
https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...ters-1.2098458
Old 24-03-2019, 21:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually the likelihood of seeing a rogue is also dependant on where you are at.
Very true. Crossing the bar off of the mouths of many rivers can yield these. Although they are not a tall as their more famous cousins, they probably cause more trouble since they are more frequently encountered. The Agulhas current is another hot spot. I understand that the Bay of Biscay is also known for them.
Old 24-03-2019, 21:52   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Very true. Crossing the bar off of the mouths of many rivers can yield these. Although they are not a tall as their more famous cousins, they probably cause more trouble since they are more frequently encountered. The Agulhas current is another hot spot. I understand that the Bay of Biscay is also known for them.
yes and trust when I say you never want to encounter one at sea.
Old 24-03-2019, 22:18   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14

Newhaul’s rogue wave:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-3bdcd633a13a/
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 22:35   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer7 View Post
here is the ships official report of 1989 . Read page 3 of the report
Encountering extended periods of high winds and heavy seas, the propulsion plant provided the sustained high speed necessary to support flight operations and typho4n evasion. Repair Division responded in an equally professional manner when the Nucleus Fire Party was called upon to combat flooding in Close-In Weapons System Mount 22 equipment room, the ship's foc' sle, and several crew berthjng areas, resul ting from wave damage. The Department was saddened by the los$ of DCFN Donald Evans, who was lost at sea after being washed overboard by a rogue wave
Donald was oneof of mine.
Old 24-03-2019, 22:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer7 View Post
This comment is off topic but I think it's important to mention. In the article, they talk about a spate of accidents, including rogue waves washing overboard some sailors, around the time of the explosion of the number two gun turret in the USS Iowa. The article then mentions that the Navy expressed the opinion that there was a high probability that a sailor intentionally caused the explosion.

After much uproar and further investigations, the Navy apologize to the family of the accused sailor. Further they admitted that it is most likely that he did NOT cause the explosion and that improperly stored powder caused the explosion. That particular batch of powder was manufactured in the 1930's and was stored in exceptionally hot conditions while the Iowa was overhauled. This likely caused the powder to deteriorate, emitting dangerous fumes which ignited, killing forty-seven sailors.

At the time the article was written the intentional detonation was the story the Navy put out but it was later proven to be unlikely and motivated for self serving purposes. I only mention this because of the age of the article and thus it had incorrect information about the cause.
Old 24-03-2019, 22:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I watched that video last weekend and was thinking of it when I saw this discussion. Here is the link to the video from 2002.

Later,
Dan

I watched the BBC video in the past year or so...I think they talked about the quantum math aspect of things?

To those interested in quantum physics kind of stuff...the following clip is on the subject of quantum chromodynamics/vacuum fluctuations. More or less the bubbling that occurs at the sub-atomic particle level can act effectively as a "butterfly flapping it's wings." This quantum stuff is basically smaller scale versions of what you normally see looking at water. Certainly must play a role in rogue waves...

https://youtu.be/J3xLuZNKhlY?t=62
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 23:07   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Forgot the link to the annual report.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vximQUgz2hlp6i
Old 25-03-2019, 09:11   #41

Boat: Union 36

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting (and thought provoking).
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:27   #42

Here are just a few notable rogue waves which illustrate the awesome power of these things. There is quite a list on Wikipedia.

On 11 March 1861 at midday the lighthouse on Eagle Island,[4] off the west coast of Ireland was struck by a large wave that smashed 23 panes, washing some of the lamps down the stairs and damaging beyond repair the reflectors with broken glass. In order to damage the uppermost portion of the lighthouse, water would have had to surmount a seaside cliff measuring 40 m (133 ft) and a further 26 m (87 ft) of lighthouse structure.

In 1942 while operating as a troopship and carrying 16,082 United States Army troops, the British passenger liner RMS Queen Mary was broadsided during a gale by a 92-foot (28 m) wave 608 nautical miles (700 mi; 1,126 km) from Scotland and nearly capsized. Queen Mary listed briefly about 52 degrees before slowly righting herself.

The Fastnet Lighthouse off the south coast of Ireland was struck by a 47-meter-high (154-foot-high) wave in 1985.

Norwegian Dawn, (three waves in succession, off the coast of Georgia, 16 April 2005)
"The sea had actually calmed down when the 21-metre (69 ft) wave seemed to come out of thin air…"
Old 25-03-2019, 10:42   #43

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I think that the op video is a great explanation of the phenomenon. I especially like the definition of the rogue wave which allows a three foot wave could be rogue .
I have a question regarding large waves hitting the shoreline, it was my understanding that these waves would not be labled rogue. My interpretation of the video is that rogue waves dont travel in the same way as other waves due to their tall skinny nature . The wave on the oil rig was middle of the ocean.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:05   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I think that the op video is a great explanation of the phenomenon. I especially like the definition of the rogue wave which allows a three foot wave could be rogue .
I have a question regarding large waves hitting the shoreline, it was my understanding that these waves would not be labled rogue. My interpretation of the video is that rogue waves dont travel in the same way as other waves due to their tall skinny nature . The wave on the oil rig was middle of the ocean.
A rogue or freak wave can hit the shore but it is the mechanism as well as the nature of the wave which make it a rogue wave. Landslides do not cause rogue waves. Those are tsunamis. Most rogue waves do occur at sea, but they can occur in lakes as well as certain coastal areas as well as, I believe, the mouths of some rivers.

A rogue wave is defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height, which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. For example, if the tallest one third of the waves in a given sea state are 5 feet, then a wave that is 10 or more feet would be a rogue wave.

Rogues are typically steep but are not necessarily skinny. They can be walls of water that travel up to six or seven miles (10Km), they can be a series of three waves, or they can be a single giant wave that collapses after a number of seconds.
Old 29-03-2019, 07:55   #45

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

My wife and I were hit by a "rouge" wave while on DRY land. We were in Mazatlan Mexico walking down the beach on DRY SAND, well above the high tide line. My wife cannot swim and was carrying two bottles of Champagne. Suddenly without warning we were under water and washing out toward the sea. My wife had the presence of mind to hang onto the Champagne, though she lost her glasses, which we celebrated with later. She explained later that letting go of the bottles would not have helped her survive since she couldnt swim anyway so might as well hang on in the off chance that she survived.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rogue wave