Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2018, 17:40   #1

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22
Roll-up dinks: donut vs. transom

I'm looking at two Achilles dinks for use with our 27' Albin Vega. One is a donut style, the LT-4: Achilles Inflatable Crafts | Boats & Parts

The other is the LS4-RU, which has a transom: Achilles Inflatable Crafts | Boats & Parts

Both models have near-identical length (inside and out), beam (inside and out), floor design, and tube size. But the donut is a bit lighter (57 lbs vs.66), and has more load capacity (970 lbs vs. 840).

The transom-design boat looks cooler, and can handle one more HP, so it should be a little faster. It costs about $50 bucks more.

SO, I lean toward the donut. Lighter, and carries more stuff. Right? My question is, for those who have extensive experience with both styles, is there anything I'm overlooking here? Hoping to hear the wisdom of the BTDT folks. Thanks!

Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 20:50   #2

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Roll-up dinks: donut vs. transom

Have a avon redcrest.. similar to the lt4.. thinking about gerting the lt4 actually.

Have had both wood transom, and soft transom dinks.. ill take the soft transom all day long

As mentioned, its lighter. I stow it in a cockpit locker, something i cant do with a wood transom model. I dont like ro tow it or stow it on deck...

Just my personal opinion.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 20:53   #3

I have used both styles in a different brand.

I found the extended tubes, perhaps a little bigger than in the Achilles, were invaluable in providing more buoyance at the stern when fitting or mucking with the outboard, & in a following sea.

The flat transom could be wet after beaching on a down wind shore, but once I developed a technique of reversing into a beach in those conditions I much preferred the transom type.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 21:41   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Look at the floors.

The one with the larger floor would be my choice: it helps a lot for the stiffness of the dinghy if you will use a motor. That said, though, we had one of the LT4 style, only "rowed" it. It will get two adult people ashore okay. It is pretty light and skittery. We never used a motor on it. In those days, the floor went from the stern to just fwd of the seat board.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Have a avon redcrest.. similar to the lt4.. thinking about gerting the lt4 actually.

Have had both wood transom, and soft transom dinks.. ill take the soft transom all day long

As mentioned, its lighter. I stow it in a cockpit locker, something i cant do with a wood transom model. I dont like ro tow it or stow it on deck...

Just my personal opinion.

Stowing size is definitely a major consideration. Interestingly, the first line in the description of the LS-RU (hard transom) states "Both our LS-RU rollup tenders can be stowed in a space just 10" high". But of course, that begs the question: "okay, 10" high ... but how long and how wide??"

I have a Redcrest also, but she's very old, and has some slow leaks in crevices where they can't be patched. I don't think she's going to leave with us when we cut the lines in 2020.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Look at the floors.

The one with the larger floor would be my choice: it helps a lot for the stiffness of the dinghy if you will use a motor.

We do plan to use a motor. We have an older 2-stroke Nissan 2.5 HP in excellent shape that I'm rather fond of. The motor's name is "BTHOR", which stands for "Beats The Hell Outta Rowing".

Seems like the floors in these two dinks are darn near identical though. Same overall length and width anyway. The hard transom floor is a tad wider at the stern, the donut is a tad wider at the bow.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16   #7

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Stowing size is definitely a major consideration. Interestingly, the first line in the description of the LS-RU (hard transom) states "Both our LS-RU rollup tenders can be stowed in a space just 10" high". But of course, that begs the question: "okay, 10" high ... but how long and how wide??"

I have a Redcrest also, but she's very old, and has some slow leaks in crevices where they can't be patched. I don't think she's going to leave with us when we cut the lines in 2020.
My redcrest holds air fine, just has a leak in the floor.. its a 1978 model.. so unsure how long it will last..it weighs so much less than my other one with a wood transom.. it is my go to dinghy.

Been looking for a newer redcrest, but haven't had any luck..

the LT4 seems like a good choice.. for my simple needs...couple it with my 1968 Evinrude mate 1.5hp.. pretty much guarantee no one will steal it at the dinghy dock!

No doubt a regular dinghy is better in all other aspects.. wight and stowage is the only factor to me.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:21   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

which one holds and transports 3 garafones of water from store to boat. that is the one to buy. garafones are 19 or 20 liters, aka 5 gallons, in size. same goes for jerry jugs for fuel can carry, get, cannot carry, donot get.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
My redcrest holds air fine, just has a leak in the floor.. its a 1978 model..

Is the year of manufacture found in the serial number? Mine is AVB56506K889. She had a couple holes in the floor, but I was able to patch them successfully.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have had a number of Avon Redcrests over the years. Much prefer them to a hard transom dinghy, but I mostly row the dinghy. With Avon out of business forced to buy a comparable sized Achilles with a transom. It was heavier which made wrestling it aboard and stowing it significantly more difficult. The side to side inflation chambers meant stowing it half inflated didn’t work well. When A NOS Redcrests fell into my lap bought it in a second and sold the Achilles.

Like the forward/aft inflation chamber set up on the donuts as I can leave it half inflated aft of the mast on passages or short jaunts and deploy it way more quickly on arrival only having to inflate half. On previous boat wife used it as a lounge chair on DDW passages with it stowed half inflated. Did not have floorboards in any of the Redcrests and had no issues rowing or using them. Rowed serious miles in SoPac sometimes with 3 adults. Sure wish someone would copy Avon’s rubber Oarlocks. Really nice to be able to use real wood oars that float.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:57   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had an avon redcrest (donut), an avon rover 3.1 and now an avon rover 2.8 (both transom boats). All of them I rolled up and stowed below.

The donut is superior in every way except its ability to hold an outboard. If you are just rowing, the donut is great. If you want to use an outboard, get the transom.

I used the donut on my little C&C25. It fit neatly in the hanging locker. Different rolling methods could make it longer/thinner or shorter/fatter. I never had the floor for it, and never missed it. Made it even lighter/simpler.

If you are going to row, you need a boat with sturdy oarlocks and sturdy oars, like the avon boats. I've owned several other brands, including zodiac, and most of their oars/locks are just for show...if you actually use them they will break almost immediately. I like the air floor models...easier to setup, especially on the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5221.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	172833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 065.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	172834  

Name:	Compromise 153.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	172835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Duck 635.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	172836  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
which one holds and transports 3 garafones of water from store to boat. that is the one to buy. garafones are 19 or 20 liters, aka 5 gallons, in size. same goes for jerry jugs for fuel can carry, get, cannot carry, do not get.

Zeehag ... thank you. You always have a way of making things simple enough for even someone like me to understand.

As far as pure cargo weight capacity is concerned, the donut wins by 130 pounds. After you subtract our combined body weight of nearly 400 pounds, that's a difference of about 23% for cargo.

That's three extra garafones!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:33   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
which one holds and transports 3 garafones of water from store to boat. that is the one to buy. garafones are 19 or 20 liters, aka 5 gallons
I assure you, the donut shape can hold a LOT of water...see pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	172837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2966.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	172838  

Name:	IMG_2970.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	172839  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:14   #14

So many Redcrests still out there!

Makes me wonder if I should consider keeping ours until it just won't hold air acceptably any more. Or is this a bad idea?

What is the market like for new inflatables in the eastern Caribbean? Are they commonly available? Much more pricey than in the US?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:23   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I assure you, the donut shape can hold a LOT of water...see pics attached.

aaaah but can ye pour that water into your tankage system easily......
i have a redcrest, older model. seeking old hypalon for repairing floor. until i find that, itis a kiddy pool for a playtime in bays at anchor. i use walker bay 10 for hauling.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote