Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2018, 16:19   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Rudder Stuffing Box

I wonder when folks actually replace the packing in the rudder stuffing box.

When I bought my boat it was my first monohull.

I replaced the packing in the stuffing box for the diesel, but it appeared relatively new so I haven't worried about the rudder.

I bought the boat in 2011
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 16:39   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Rudder Stuffing Box

We’ve owned our boat for 11 years. Other than replacing the rudder stuffing box, I’ve never repacked it. I have opened it three times and gooped some grease in however.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 16:56   #3

Boat: Hunter 27

I tighten the rudder gland nut when water is being forced past the packing and into the boat. I replace the packing when tightening no longer keeps the water out. There is very little wear on the packing in the rudder, unlike the prop shaft packing. The packing will deteriorate over the years though. My H27's packing had not been changed in over 34 years and had literally turned to dust. If you don't have any water coming in, I wouldn't worry about it.
misssherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 17:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I wonder when folks actually replace the packing in the rudder stuffing box.

When I bought my boat it was my first monohull.

I replaced the packing in the stuffing box for the diesel, but it appeared relatively new so I haven't worried about the rudder.

I bought the boat in 2011
I wager you a beer that it has never been replaced. Most boat owners ignore those type maintenance. It is easy to do, so why not do it? I have seen too many boats flood/partially flood from simple service items as you mention.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 03:15   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Thanks for the input.

Mine isn't leaking at the moment so that's good and if you think about the revolutions of a main drive thru a stuffing box as compared to the rudder you'd think the rudder packing would last for many years.

On my boat, it's been at least 12 or more but 5 of those were on the hard before I bought it
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 04:24   #6

Agreed on wear related to cycles/revolutions. Certainly, minimal compared to a prop shaft's rotation at 1K+ rpm for run time. Rather, consider the simple age degradation factor. The boat in you profile indicates 44 year of possible/probable service. Assuming your rudder's packing gland probably sits above the w/l at loaded rest & gets wet only when underway & from boat movement, it likely has spent most its' time dry, contributing to the packing flax drying out.
Old 18-07-2018, 05:47   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I've repacked two boats rudder shafts using GFO.
The reduction in steering system friction is dramatic. Really dramatic.

The first I repacked when it was weeping and I could not properly tighten the gland.
The second I just did as part of a wheel to rudder steering maintenance project.
Chain, cable, clean and lubricate everything from pedestal to shaft including steering sheave bearings.
All in all worth doing. The old packing was OK, but worn, compressed, and starting to dry out.

I used a packing extractor for the first time. A tool well worth while.

It turned out I needed just under one foot per turn. There were 5 rings installed, but 4 was appropriate, the 5th was added on top of the well worn and compressed older layers.

There are many threads about GFO vs Flax packing. I won't recap them here.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 06:09   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I don’t see how friction could be an issue...it’s not supposed to be tight in the first place.

If it’s keeping water out it’s tight enough. If it needs to be so tight to keep water out that it has any noticeable effect on steering stiffness something is wrong.

When to repack in general? When it starts leaking. Up to that point it’s doing its job. No reason it can’t go 30 years without replacement if the boat is lightly used.
Old 18-07-2018, 09:18   #9

30 Years???? No qualifications? Other than light usage? Location? Gland location & type with the specific boat? Materials? Haul outs/time ashore? etc.

I question if the material manufacturers warrant, or even suggest, that service life.

What constitutes light usage? Dry storage ashore? I am familiar with a tri with few miles under her keel that experienced steering cable failure within 3 years. Most were surprised at the early failure. After asking a few questions, the answer was that she was kept on a mooring at which she "sailed" while at mooring. That combined with slightly loose cable adjustment was deemed to the the reason of the early failure. But, she had light usage.

While certainly, there are many instances of 30 year old packing material in service, I would not to be in the position of trying to over turn a failure to maintain, gradual wear, tear & deterioration, etc. insurance claim denial on my partially/fully submerged boat by arguing in favor of 30 year old packing material.

Tags
rudder