Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 12:22   #31

Re: Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. from a foreigners view point the only downside was the exorbitant price of a bottle of beer.. coming from a land of 1euro a bottle.. and the Caribe at $1.50.. if your not in St Barts..
Hell.. $9/bottle was horrendous and that was 2012.. dread thinking what it must be today.. made a bottle of Bundi seem a bargain..
Where did you pay $9 for a bottle of beer? IIRC even at Lizard island it was "only" $7.

We generally pay about $40 for 24 bottles.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:38   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
They make you wear seatbelts too. Takes away our freedom... to fly.
There are a few of us that believe you should be allowed do do any ignorant, stupid thing you like, as long as it doesn't impact others. Also if for example your stupid enough to ride your motorcycle without a helmet, your own your own to find a way to feed yourself with that traumatic brain injury.

Carry this State protecting the public to its logical conclusions, then we won't be allowed to cruise, as it is potentially a dangerous activity, with no social benefit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:57   #33

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Australia tries to "protect" its citizens by nannying them.

The US tries to do the same with law suits and court action.

I'm not sure which is worse. Maybe we should we leave it up to Darwinism?
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:00   #34

I had a courtesy inspection by US coasties in Neah Bay where I learned that the lifejackets and PFDs on the Canadian registered boat had to be USCG approved. The worst part was the ink on my Mustang inflatable had come off and I could prove no approval. I almost got a citation.

I was astounded to be told this so I checked with another Instructor Evaluator who works for Transport Canada who affirmed that this was the case.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:08   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rules

Quote:
Where did you pay $9 for a bottle of beer? IIRC even at Lizard island it was "only" $7.

We generally pay about $40 for 24 bottles.
If I recall it was the bar at the marina in Darwin.. can't remember the brand but think its popular in Tassie as it was my crewman who suggested it.. reckoned it was the best.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:15   #36

Boat: Beneteau 323

I'm missing the freedom of the Bahamas right now.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:23   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

In Qld, so im told you legally cant go 2nm from the yacht with your dinghy without the dinghy having separate registration.

The thing is Australia is almost perfect, its clean ,very organised etc but the cost is a dumbing down of society. A child while growing up needs to fall, make mistakes and generally screw up even at the risk of injury, if this is not allowed that childs growth into a adult is stunted, over regulation combined with welfare breeds uselessness.

I was in Kmart the other day, there was a nice pre recorded announcement broadcasted over the pa (3 times) educating kids not to play on the trolleys because they may hurt themselves. Here's the thing, if one out of 100 kids falls from a trolley and hurts themselves thats nearly no where near as bad as the other 99 that now don't develop the motor skills that come from doing things like playing on trolleys because they are not allowed to, not to mention no fun!

In regards to me wearing my life jacket yesterday, I asked him why (knowing the answer) in case I fell out! I told him I already had developed a solution to that unlikely event occuring, I would swim!! And if I couldn't swim then I had no right to be in the dinghy, if I fell out and drowned because I cant swim then that is natural selection at work.

One of the reasons ive been able to take a yacht of shore and do a variety of other things I life is I was born in a less regulated time with parents that allowed me to climb trees, swim in creeks, make and ride billy carts on the road etc etc, if you take a individuals personal responsibility away from him and wrap in in nerf you create uselessness as a replacement to risk.

One more thing, ive seen more rescue boats cruising around between Moololalbah,gold coast and tweed in 3 weeks than I have in the whole 6 years overseas.

For those that have not cruised Australia dont get me wrong, its unique and has great diversity, wonderful wild life and is definitely still a great country. Its just a shame that we have created a culture of non responsibility. We are a country where children are hugged to much and people in general are regulated in to uselessness.

Obviously just my opinion.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:28   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Dinghy rules are less stringent in Qld. For most uses, dinghies don't need to be registered. And you don't have to wear lifejackets crossing bars unless it's a small boat.

Generally you can anchor where you like, for as long as you like.
Hang on! Just in those few lines you have mentioned, or alluded to more rules than bloody ColRegs!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:28   #39

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If I recall it was the bar at the marina in Darwin.. can't remember the brand but think its popular in Tassie as it was my crewman who suggested it.. reckoned it was the best.
Sounds like you bought a 'Darwin Stubby"
Darwin Stubby wake held in Alice Springs as Carlton United Breweries pulls pin on production - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 02-01-2017, 13:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There are a few of us that believe you should be allowed do do any ignorant, stupid thing you like, as long as it doesn't impact others. Also if for example your stupid enough to ride your motorcycle without a helmet, your own your own to find a way to feed yourself with that traumatic brain injury.

Carry this State protecting the public to its logical conclusions, then we won't be allowed to cruise, as it is potentially a dangerous activity, with no social benefit.
That's all very well, but people who injure themselves due to their own stupidity DO impact on others. Ongoing medical care costs everyone.

John McEnroe
Old 02-01-2017, 13:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hang on! Just in those few lines you have mentioned, or alluded to more rules than bloody ColRegs!
The colregs apply also.

John McEnroe
Old 02-01-2017, 14:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
In Qld, so im told you legally cant go 2nm from the yacht with your dinghy without the dinghy having separate registration.
Yes, you can travel up to 2nm without registration. For many (most?) people that's ample. And your "dinghy could be 40 feet long and have 400hp....

In NSW if your dinghy has more than 5 hp it must be registered. And if you have an unregistered dinghy you can only use it strictly as a dinghy - ie. travel in a direct line between the boat and the shore.

To be honest, I expect Qld will move closer to NSW's rules sooner or later.

John McEnroe
Old 02-01-2017, 14:12   #43

Quote:
That's all very well, but people who injure themselves due to their own stupidity DO impact on others. Ongoing medical care costs everyone.
But the assumption is more rules always result in less injuries. Down at Ballina the local outrigger squad have to have life jackets in their outrigger, they must stop just prior to the bar and put them on and then once across the bar stop and take them off, guess what it work's, none of them have drowned......hang on , there was no drowning incident prior to those regs either.

One could also argue that by making people less responsible, or by shaping their behaviour through over regulation could result in other accidents that are not directly related to , in this case the water. By not be allowed to develop ones ability to access risk does this result in less capable humans that have more accidents?

Yes rules are necessary, BUT where's the line regarding the enhancing of society to the crippling of society?

Often its more about bureaucracy and fear of litigation than individual safety, smoking kills more people every year than riding to shore in a dinghy, not to mention the cost burden to society, but we still allow that!

Old 02-01-2017, 14:16   #44

Quote:
Yes, you can travel up to 2nm without registration. For many (most?) people that's ample. And your "dinghy could be 40 feet long and have 400hp....

In NSW if your dinghy has more than 5 hp it must be registered. And if you have an unregistered dinghy you can only use it strictly as a dinghy - ie. travel in a direct line between the boat and the shore.

To be honest, I expect Qld will move closer to NSW's rules sooner or later.
Did I read this right, a dinghy with more than 5hp in NSW needs to be registered? So, I have a 15hp and the dinghys not registered, if I take anymore than a direct route to shore Im a criminal?
Ok looks like im heading back to Qld, btw I pay rates on two properties in this shire.

Old 02-01-2017, 14:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Did I read this right, a dinghy with more than 5hp in NSW needs to be registered? So, I have a 15hp and the dinghys not registered, if I take anymore than a direct route to shore Im a criminal?
Ok looks like im heading back to Qld, btw I pay rates on two properties in this shire.

If you use your dinghy with the 15hp at all in NSW it needs to be registered. If it had 5 hp or less you could legally use it without rego, but only direct from boat to shore.

On the plus side, NSW rego rates are much cheaper than Qld's....

So yeah, like I said, Qld rules for dinghies are a bit more relaxed. For now.

Except Mooloolaba. Where apparently the locals are sick of us cruisers touring the canals sightseeing. So you can use your dinghy, but you're not allowed to look around. And you're not welcome longer than 48 hours....

John McEnroe

Tags
rule