Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2023, 14:50   #31

Re: Runaway Lewmar Electric winch

You missed a key part out from your last part.

Never hoist someone using the self-tailing jaws of an electric winch.

Have the line through a closed clutch, as you suggest, and hand tail the line.

You may need to go in short pulses, but better this than have to try and get the line out of the self-tailing jaws if the winch runs on.
benkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 18:30   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I think the OP was looking for feedback on the winch not the safety issue if he even used it for that purpose. The original post doesn’t seem to say it was.

To the question though, I have a friend whose Lewmar suddenly started running. He worked with Lewmar tech support and got it straightened out.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 17:19   #33

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artboas View Post
The lines must go through rope clutches.
Electric winches fail. It’s a fact of life & sea water.
Be calm. The line won’t drop with the clutch closed.
Take the line off the winch.
I don’t think this is correct. If a winch jams on then the rope will pull out until the harness or bosun’s chair knot hits the top sheave, then it will jam and as the knot is the weakest point it will soon break right there. If you are on the end of the rope, so will you, immediately afterwards. one solution is to have a safety rope with a fall arrest device in it. Also to mitigate the risk to train the wincher to free off the winch very fast in the case of a failed contactor. An E stop button could also be used to kill all power.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 21:32   #34

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I don’t think this is correct. If a winch jams on then the rope will pull out until the harness or bosun’s chair knot hits the top sheave, then it will jam and as the knot is the weakest point it will soon break right there. If you are on the end of the rope, so will you, immediately afterwards. one solution is to have a safety rope with a fall arrest device in it. Also to mitigate the risk to train the wincher to free off the winch very fast in the case of a failed contactor. An E stop button could also be used to kill all power.

Actually have experienced something like this situation, but the halyard was secured to the stern pulpit, which became an arch. The next thing to go was the turning block at the base of the mast. The next thing to go was the halyard which was cut by the mast exit slot 6 feet off the deck. The end result would not have been good for a person in a bosun's chair. If you are in the bosun's chair the best plan would to be to grab the forestay and backstay and wrap your legs around the mast before anything breaks..
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 21:36   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well no, that won’t happen when the line is not in the self tailer.

We had a similar accident with the line in the self tailer and while it is easy to quickly pull it out, you lose time when working the switch in disbelief; like 3-4 time as long as needed for taking it out of the self tailer.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 18:17   #36

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Actually have experienced something like this situation, but the halyard was secured to the stern pulpit, which became an arch. The next thing to go was the turning block at the base of the mast. The next thing to go was the halyard which was cut by the mast exit slot 6 feet off the deck. The end result would not have been good for a person in a bosun's chair. If you are in the bosun's chair the best plan would to be to grab the forestay and backstay and wrap your legs around the mast before anything breaks..
Indeed, this is life threatening stuff. Please take precautions so no one needs to grab onto the mast or shrouds, which may well not be within reach.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 08:59   #37

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Indeed, this is life threatening stuff. Please take precautions so no one needs to grab onto the mast or shrouds, which may well not be within reach.
As I was approaching the top of the mast at speed, my primary concern was not that there was nothing to grab, but that I needed to do some acrobatics to prevent my head and shoulders from being trapped between the forestay and the mast before the halyard hit the sheave. Fortunately, the winch man was able to release the halyard from the self tailer, or I wouldn't be writing this.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, lewmar, winch