Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:13   #1

S/Y specific Career path inquiry

~Foreword~
I am swimming in information I have pieced together about the industry. As someone who is specifically interested in a career Sailing, a lot of the information out their does not pertain directly to my career path, thus I come to you fine folk.

Now,
My aim is to become a charter captain for ecotourism S/Ys on the Pacific. To gain experience, I intend to pursue a Deckhand position in Fort Lauderdale for the season Oct-May. From what I've been able to gather, FTL has the highest concentration of charter yachts that will be hiring for the season.

I have 3 questions:

Should I arrive in Fort Lauderdale by sail on the 7-14 of November, or Fly direct arriving on October 14? Is arriving later on the 7-14 of November going to make it drastically harder to land a position on a Yacht?

CONTEXT: Arriving earlier I could attend the FLIBS (Oct 30-Nov 3) & dock walk the boats preparing for FLIBS.

-CONTEXT:I am trying to do everything I can to have a desirable resume when I arrive in FTL, and I thought It would be a bright idea to get some extended passage making experience sailing from Newport. It seems now that I might be shooting myself in the foot by arriving so late and missing the boat show.
-CONTEXT: I planned to hitch a passage from Newport RI to Fort Lauderdale, but it appears as though S/Y do not disembark south from that latitude until after November 1st (insurance issue?)
-CONTEXT: I will be putting my name in with agencies/crew boards as well.

Should I be holding out for positions on S/Y's, or try to get on any Yacht I can?

-CONTEXT: I was recommended by a charter Captain from Fiji to hold out for a position on a sailing yacht if that is what I want to end up working on in the long run. Obviously I'm trying to get the most experience towards my ultimate goal in the shortest amount of time possible, but it is hard to know sometimes what the most productive route will be.

Is FTL even the best place for me to secure a position on a Yacht for the season? I've heard most cruising S/Ys go straight to BVI, would that be a better place to dock walk if I am looking specifically for a position on a S/Y?

-CONTEXT: I am aware that it will be unlikely to land a position for the whole season right off the bat.

I have had these questions swimming around in my head for so long now any clarification brought would be very much appreciated. I have time to chat anytime over the phone as well if that mode would be more productive.

Fair Winds,

Phoenix Monro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240721_124557.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	292254  
phoenixmonro is offline   Reply With Quote