Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2023, 09:39   #61

Boat: F32 trimaran
Re: Safety at sea (from other humans)

yes for sure... wet carpet....
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 09:52   #62

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
A couple of points - flare guns are not only illegal in a great many jurisdictions, they aren’t even made or sold any more, nor is the ammo for them.
While flare guns are not universally legal they are still made and sold in jurisdictions where they are legal.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 16:41   #63

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
somehow I have 3 x 12 gauge flare guns. Wonder if they will fire a 12-gauge shotgun shell. Never tried. A good buck size would do enough damage.
One shot out of the hatch should discourage anyone to show their face at the companionway.
Simple and legal.
Well, the shots may not be hihi...
No no no, please don't try it! Even the little shorty shells! Chamber pressure is way too high for a flare gun! If you have always wondered what "smithereens" are, as in "blown all to smithereens", you can mess around and find out!

Look it up on youtube if you don't believe me. You KNOW somebody has tried it, right? And you KNOW SOMEBODY had to make a youtube video of it, right? You would be better off making yourself a slamfire shotty out of sched 80 waterpipe. (I would stick to 2-1/2" shells, or shorties, just because!)

A plastic flare pistol is safe, loaded with flares that are designed to be fired in it. Not "grownup" shotgun shells.
Old 18-08-2024, 19:57   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
It seems a great chunk of the world is largely unsafe. Avoiding specific areas all together seems to be a viable strategy.

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map

[ off topic material redacted ]

I know people who sail in some areas have metal bars constructed they can lock to the companionway to bar entry. One of the sailing youtubers, windhippie sailing, was boarded and robbed in Panama, and they took almost everything not bolted down. This was prior to covid I think.

I follow Windhippie for a while now and it might help to add that she really sails on a low budget.So all things that were not bolted down....yes,but the overall value would not be really a big amount,I assume.
She is also very careful ,and knows very well other people dont have much.if they need it so badly to rob it,so be it.
macrious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety