Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2024, 00:22   #1

Boat: Catalina 270
Sail Plan Reccomendations for Marina Del Rey, CA?

Hello!
I will be day sailing on a 26 Colgate out of Marina Del Rey this weekend (10AM - 6pm). This is my first time sailing MDR and it's just me. Windfinder is reporting light winds S to SSW at 4KN,

Looking for reccomendations on my sail plan(s)... I've printed out the NOAA chart for Santa Monica Bay .... initial thoughts were to sail a triangle out of the marina, maybe get as far as Will Rogers Beach, then reverse back to MDR. I'm looking through Brian Fagan's cruising guide, but the information is dated. Anything I should check out in that general area (coves, whale routes) ... also, appreciate advice on amount of commercial traffic once out to 2NM point from MDR entrance. Thanks in advance!
RoaverRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 11:59   #2
ATK

Boat: Ontario 32
Re: Sail Plan Reccomendations for Marina Del Rey, CA?

I have been day sailing out Marina Del Rey weekly for about four years. Based on my experience, and having reviewed various forecasts for Saturday, I think you can expect the wind to start gradually increasing from 4-5 knots after noon, and get to 8-10 knots by 2 pm and thereafter, with the potential for gusts to 15 knots.

There shouldn’t be much commercial traffic, if any, to impact your sail. But there are often races or regattas to weave your way around.

Most sailors prefer to head west/north-west towards Malibu and spend their time in that area, as going towards the south brings you under the LAX flight path and a fair amount of jet noise. If you go south, though, once you’re a few miles towards the Palos Verdes peninsula, you’ll be out from under the jets, so going in that direction is not a poor choice.

I’ve only seen a whale once, but see dolphins regularly. There are no coves or anything in particular to explore, but the coast is pretty, particularly as you get towards Malibu. Note that there are some rocks near Santa Monica Pier, so don’t wander too close to it.
ATK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 15:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Karlin View Post
I have been day sailing out Marina Del Rey weekly for about four years. Based on my experience, and having reviewed various forecasts for Saturday, I think you can expect the wind to start gradually increasing from 4-5 knots after noon, and get to 8-10 knots by 2 pm and thereafter, with the potential for gusts to 15 knots.

There shouldn’t be much commercial traffic, if any, to impact your sail. But there are often races or regattas to weave your way around.

Most sailors prefer to head west/north-west towards Malibu and spend their time in that area, as going towards the south brings you under the LAX flight path and a fair amount of jet noise. If you go south, though, once you’re a few miles towards the Palos Verdes peninsula, you’ll be out from under the jets, so going in that direction is not a poor choice.

I’ve only seen a whale once, but see dolphins regularly. There are no coves or anything in particular to explore, but the coast is pretty, particularly as you get towards Malibu. Note that there are some rocks near Santa Monica Pier, so don’t wander too close to it.
Thanks Andy! appreciate the info ... I agree on avoiding the south/LAX area; I work near the Miramar airbase, and that's loud enough to put me off my feed.

I want to avoid those Rocks near SM as well danger: what's a safe distance where I can see Santa Monica without worries of getting to close to them -- the " horrors of a leeward shore" and all that.

Is it possible (or practical given the time sailing) to anchor in Malibu Lagoon? I'd like to take a break either anchored or mooring ball before heading back. Thanks.
Old 26-06-2024, 15:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Karlin View Post

Thanks Andy! appreciate the info ... I agree on avoiding the south/LAX area; I work near the Miramar airbase, and that's loud enough to put me off my feed.

I want to avoid those Rocks near SM as well... what's a safe distance where I can see Santa Monica without worries of getting to close to them -- the " horrors of a leeward shore" and all that. I had planned on 1NM based on what the chart says.

Is it possible (or practical given the time sailing) to anchor in Malibu Lagoon? I'd like to take a break either anchored or mooring ball before heading back. Thanks.
Old 26-06-2024, 15:42   #5
ATK

Boat: Ontario 32

I can't give any insight re anchoring, since I don't do it while day-sailing.

As for avoiding problems, the rocks are either visible themselves or well marked by buoys, so, absent fog, the only real danger is other boats. I've had a few close calls with give-way boats not giving way over the years, so be prepared to alter course to avoid a collision even if you're the stand-on vessel.
ATK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 17:12   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard here! I sail out of Channel Islands but I know the MDR area well. If it were me I’d plan on full main and Genoa for the day. If you are at all uncertain then just a working jib, or reef the roller furling as needed. Paradise Cove (Malibu) is kind of a long way for day sailing but is a nice place to anchor and then drift back home at sunset. Do you have an engine? You’ll probably need it if the breeze dies down in the evening.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 20:53   #7

we’ve had fun sailing up towards Malibu and turning around and setting the ASYO for the trip back to MDR. We tried several times to do the same off Palos Verdes, but the wind shift would put us into the morning buoys by El Segundo.

just stay outside of the Venice and Santa Monica piers and you shouldn’t have any trouble.

you could go a little further out the coast to Paradise Cove, and anker off of Barbra Streisand‘s house!

Sounds like fun!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 13:06   #8

Thanks for your feedback! I will report back on the day sail ... hopefully no worse for wear and a little wiser.
Old 27-06-2024, 20:17   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It's a beautiful place for a daysail, you'll do great!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail