Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 18:30   #1

Sail up at anchor???

This is the second time now I have seen this: a boat motors into an anchorage with its mainsail up. Drops anchor... and leaves the main sail up! Overnight!

Is there anybody who thinks this is a remotely good idea? If so, please be sure to anchor very far DOWNWIND of my boat! Seems almost criminally stupid to me.

For what it is worth, both have been catamarans, and both in the Bahamas. Neither were charters, but private boats.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:01   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Sail up at anchor???

You should play naive boater and ask them to explain to you how that works. I bet they think it works like a wind vein. Report back to us with your findings!
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:02   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am trying to think of how that makes sense. I'm coming up empty. A mizzen on a yawl, yeah, but main... I got nothing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:06   #4

Boat: Passport 40

I've raised the main at anchor for 5-10 minutes to dry it out before covering it (I know, stupid to be caught by a rainstorm in the first place), but in anything other than dead calm it'll sail around the anchor pretty aggressively. Not something I do willingly and definitely not overnight...
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:24   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

It could be just bone laziness?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:31   #6

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

While sailing in Tahiti, I came across numerous charter catamaran captains that steamed everywhere with the main up. I asked them why and they all said it "stabilizes" the boat. I was stunned by this. They all did it. In fact, one day the winds were 20 knots, and I was sailing with the wind off my port quarter, and a cat was steaming directly into the wind with full main up.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 21:12   #7

Boat: Bavaria 35E

It's the new Captain Jack Sparrow technique! Fool your enemies. In this case, boats already anchored will get nervous and leave the anchorage. The one with the sail up gets it all to himself!
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 04:30   #8

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

where I sail at our islands often I find myself 90degrees to the waves bouncing around because the tide and wind are opposite and the water movement is 4-5 knots at peak tide. Wind speed 10-15 knots.

Maybe they do this to keep the boat pointing into wind as it will create more windage and force the boat into the wind irrespective of current ?

Just a thought not that I have done this before but I would not like to be asleep like this and it really must add to the damage to the sails over time for sure.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 04:37   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This is the second time now I have seen this: a boat motors into an anchorage with its mainsail up. Drops anchor... and leaves the main sail up! Overnight!

Is there anybody who thinks this is a remotely good idea? If so, please be sure to anchor very far DOWNWIND of my boat! Seems almost criminally stupid to me.

For what it is worth, both have been catamarans, and both in the Bahamas. Neither were charters, but private boats.
Doing as you describe, and hard sheeting the Main amidship, is somewhat akin to rigging a "riding sail" that one uses to hold a yacht's head to windward while on a mooring or anchor. Using the entire main, however, would seem unwise for a number of reasons. However, being charter boats where the operators are less concerned about the possibility of damages then would be an owner might be an explanation tho' not an excuse, eh?

We often leave the main up and hard sheeted when coming to an anchor as, hard sheeted, the main does hold the head up and will slow or stop the yacht. Freeing the sheet and pushing the boom outboard will allow one to sail the yacht aft, albeit in a somewhat scalloping manner, to "set" the anchor. Once set, however, we do furl the sail

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:10   #10

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Gives new meaning to "sailing at anchor". I can just imagine the noise it would make, all night long, as the boat hunted back and forth across the wind.

It sounds like one of those things one numbskull did, and everywhere he went, other numbskulls picked it up. No doubt the practice will spread around the world like wildfire.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:11   #11

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

too drunk to take it down?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:46   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate : Sail up at anchor???

A cat should not sail about if the bridle is set properly.. The space between the hulls should prevent this and keep her head to wind.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:47   #13

I’m looking at a Canadian cat that did this stupidity last night. They are anchored on a proper bridle, so using the main as a vane does not make sense. On the bright side, it’s a full battened sail so flogging is minimal.

I think this is just a case of never going broke underestimating the stupidity of the public.

This is among the dumbest anchoring antics we have seen. And that’s an impressive list.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:47   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
While sailing in Tahiti, I came across numerous charter catamaran captains that steamed everywhere with the main up. I asked them why and they all said it "stabilizes" the boat. I was stunned by this. They all did it. In fact, one day the winds were 20 knots, and I was sailing with the wind off my port quarter, and a cat was steaming directly into the wind with full main up.

I am a mono, but when motoring I will often have the main up, even directly into the wind, if directly into the wind, I will pull the sheet in tight to offset the main some, it does stabilize the boat, and in any wind not directly off the bow, may add some drive, not much, but some.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:05   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail up at anchor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
too drunk to take it down?
More money than sense most likely..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, sail