Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2019, 09:43   #16

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor
Re: Sailboat Age Discrimination - West Coast Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Their Application Procedure for Guest Slips are clearly stated on their website. They do seem to be discerning, albeit the liability limits seems low.

Application Procedures

1. A copy of the current registration/documentation or a copy of the bill of sale in the name of the person applying for the slip.

2. Insurance policy naming Marina as additional insured and showing $300,000 liability coverage.

3. A current color photograph of vessel

4. A credit report will be required and run on the applicant

5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.
Interesting that the correspondence didn’t mention #5 and simply ask is you had a recent survey. I have seen length be an issue as stated above. The smaller boats are reputed to add more pressure to the facilities vs larger vessels.
It seems inconsistent at best and if you have a recent survey a polite reply might help you find a slip.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:44   #17

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

This happens a lot in the RV world. Some RV parks have the intelligent policy of admission upon inspection. But I'm guessing it isn't pleasant when they reject some one.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:47   #18

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

That's a fine looking craft you have there, and that corporate attitude is BS.

I'd say go somewhere else, or find a pretty spot and anchor up. You should have no shame for that boat, and quite honestly, that's the sweet spot in boating economy. All the fun, and a small fraction of the expense.

I'd salute that coming into the harbor.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:49   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Who places the value on the boat?
When I came in the manager asked for recent survey which had a value on it. Mine was 47K but since it was a Cat and he loves Cat's... He also knew it was worth more.

But we have a fleet of 22' boats and the like here too and none of them meet the 50K threshold so it may be that that is just for liveaboards to keep things better in here.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:51   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just shows how different (or from my perspective, odd), different places are. I’ve never, ever, heard of any such rule for a marina. It seems especially bizarre for a transient (guest = transient I assume) slip. The whole process for booking this slip here seems way over the top.

I guess if the demand far exceeds supply, then a marina can do or charge whatever the heck they want. I would really, really, need to go to the place to even consider jumping through all these silly hoops.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:52   #21

Boat: Camano 41

So I wonder what happens if you have a 1979 12 metre named Courageous II or something crazy like that?
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:56   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Sorry to hear this. It is a nice boat. They obviously have more business than they need if they are turning people away.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:03   #23

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

SV Mia Noi - If you have any interest, I just sent you an off-topic PM
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:30   #24
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Funny "Mia Noi" is a very apt name for a boat, takes a tolerant Admiral to be able to maintain one, especially if she's aging.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:39   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

If you have met ALL their requirements, I suggest going to their social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Trip Advisor) state your issues of discrimination politely and see if they will respond and/or change their policies.
KanoChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:40   #26

Boat: Gulf 32

A credit report for a transient slip? Are you frickin' kidding me?

"Hide the silver Martha, there are lowly sailors about..."
Old 23-05-2019, 10:46   #27

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Their Application Procedure for Guest Slips are clearly stated on their website. They do seem to be discerning, albeit the liability limits seems low.

Application Procedures

1. A copy of the current registration/documentation or a copy of the bill of sale in the name of the person applying for the slip.

2. Insurance policy naming Marina as additional insured and showing $300,000 liability coverage.

3. A current color photograph of vessel

4. A credit report will be required and run on the applicant

5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.
Interesting that the correspondence didn’t mention #5 and simply ask is you had a recent survey. I have seen length be an issue as stated above. The smaller boats are reputed to add more pressure to the facilities vs larger vessels.
It seems inconsistent at best and if you have a recent survey a polite reply might help you find a slip.
Old 23-05-2019, 10:59   #28

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Why even provide the age as it not relative to a well kept boat
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 11:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
Take note this "Royal" marina, does not have "Transient" slips, it has "Guest" slips and it is apparent they are quite discerning as to which Guest are permitted after review of their complete application.

I doubt most of their permanent tenants have had a survey completed in the last two years, but I suspect they do review each new tenant's recent survey thoroughly and will denote any issues as to providing them with a technical reason to reject an applicant. And the terms of their rentals likely provides for a periodic survey and acceptance of soundness so as to allow them to glean out vessels that may degrade.

It's their marina and they get to determine who they wish to due business with as to vessel types, albeit they can't discriminate based on the State's specific societal criteria, meaning they can discriminate as to the boat but not as to the owner, except as to the usual factor of the owner's financial credit worthiness. Short term rentals can be readily handled as to credit worthiness by simply obtaining a pre-authorization on the credit card before the transaction, no different than say, making reservation on AirB2B or a hotel/motel, purchasing gas at the station pump, reserving a rental car or a boat, etc.

By way of example: No Catamarans or Dogs allowed is a viable discriminatory practice of marinas.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 11:06   #30

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Being from So Cal , and in a older marina , C Y M Wilmington Shores Ca . What is happening is , As the old managers leave the new bean counting Corporate P O S 's , that don't now the bow from the stern, take over , they only go by the book and have no clue to take a look at your boat and its condition before making a intelligent decision . the lawyers and insurance people are dictating what they can do , In our marina the office girl can't even go on the dock on a regular basses . Good Luck , as everyone know's California is out of control with liberal idiots running our state and this is just part of it .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, west coast