Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2019, 07:35   #91

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Sailboat Age Discrimination - West Coast Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Simple solution.....
LIE about the boat's age.

So you tel them its a newer boat..They as they are entering everything in their system and see that boats age on the insurance and registration docs.. now what? Whole thing seems to be engineered to "upscale" the marina but only having newer/shinny dock queens there
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:38   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Simple solution.....
LIE about the boat's age.

Well it is custom to use a feminine gender reference when discussing a boat, e.g., She. And we know one doesn't ask a woman what her age is and if you are forced to guess and state an age, you state something of lesser years.

That's not lying, is it? Just not admitting the truth.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:42   #93

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
same thing with marinas now requiring live aboard size to be over 35 feet. oh and marinas not having slips for boats smaller than 40 feet.
Ha! I would love to apply for a livaboard slip just to see what they would say. The marinas want to charge me for my over all length of 38’. But in reality I’m a 28’ boat with a long bowsprit.

Would want to video them scratching their head and pulling on their beard.
Old 31-05-2019, 07:48   #94

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Maybe Redondo Beach is so nice because Bob Bitchin (Lats & Atts Magazine) keeps his boat there.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:51   #95

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

Some marinas near me suffer from abandoned boats. It takes a lot of time and legal fees to remove them. I suspect that most of these boats are older and not cared for. Perhaps the age limit is designed to reduce that risk? But you would expect some local judgement to allow deviation when a boat is obviously well cared for like yours.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 08:13   #96

"rebuilt and refitted new hardware in 2015" I wonder if you could do something based on her "rebuilt" status.
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 08:28   #97

Boat: Freedom 32'

There are places on the east coast too. I was calling places in Florida and received that answer too. I have a 1985 Freedom. I believe there are marinas in Annapolis with the same rule. Sorry, I don't remember the names as I just disregarded them.
Old 31-05-2019, 09:22   #98

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwest View Post
make a copy of you insurance and registation and change the age of your boat to 1995
I have never had insurance on my boat I give them a fake one from my auto insurance..change it to boat insurance..when I am getting the screws put too me I return the favor..I am not paying $10,000 a year for insurance..never will...nobody have ever asked for an original...I am self insured..have money in the bank if I ever tap a boat...I will pay out of my own pocket
I have saved $60,000

Watch out translating that to all areas of your life. People get in legal trouble all the time. I'm a lawyer, so I don't mind - but it's out there.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 09:30   #99

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Since everyone is on this thread ... Remember this when we all start the annual discussion about why "those young people don't get into boating anymore". I do not have a solution, but then again, I am not an industry leader. If I was trying to sell boats, sails, or marine services, I would probably talk to California Yacht Marinas, or the southern states that are limiting anchoring, about easing the restrictions and hassles for boat ownership. The US gun, motorcycle, and RV industries have successfully lobbied both private companies and governments to make it easier to buy and use their products. Perhaps industry groups such as BoatUS or ABYC could start asking about such restrictions?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:31   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Watch out translating that to all areas of your life. People get in legal trouble all the time. I'm a lawyer, so I don't mind - but it's out there.
Yeah. Liability insurance on boats is very cheap. No reason not to have it. I don't have $300k if my boat pulled a cleat and slammed around some yachts in the marina and caused a ton of damage.

The difference in liability insurance (maxed out coverage) between my 25' and my 37' boat was something like $70/yr. So something like $180 or so vs close to $250 ... worth it.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:56   #101
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So how has self-insuring saved the scofflaw $60 grand?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 11:07   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
So how has self-insuring saved the scofflaw $60 grand?

I don't know exactly, but it's probably something like an alternative universe. It's real to the gentleman though, and you have to respect that. Who knows who is right?
Old 31-05-2019, 11:11   #103

My well kept 1977 Islander 32 will not be requesting a slip there or any place with such stupid rules. Guess they won't be hosting any antique boat shows, visiting tall ships, or historic replicas either. Hope you will spread the word far and wide that this is a place to avoid!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 11:20   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
My well kept 1977 Islander 32 will not be requesting a slip there or any place with such stupid rules. Guess they won't be hosting any antique boat shows, visiting tall ships, or historic replicas either. Hope you will spread the word far and wide that this is a place to avoid!

Even if I had a brand-new boat, I wouldn't like the attitude such a place likely has. I'm living to enjoy myself, not play BS status games.
Old 31-05-2019, 11:57   #105

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

Unfortunately, age discrimination against boats (and not just sailboats) seems to be becoming a trend. I live in Marina del Rey and was recently told by a local captain who bought a 70's era Egg Harbor sportfisher (a beautiful boat in fine condition) that he was being turned down for slips because of the boat's age.

I think the primary reason (which was mentioned up thread) is that large corporations are taking over more and more marinas and the rules are being determined by lawyers who know nothing (or care) about boats. They are simply trying to avoid the hassles that sometimes come from the low life's who can't afford new million dollar boats.

My own marina (one of many independently operated) in Marina del Rey was recently taken over by Los Angeles County. The rental agreement is clearly a "cut-and-paste" melange of rules and regulations created by lawyers from God only knows how many that were sampled, and ultimately prohibits everyone form everything. It is absolutely absurd. The onsite management collectively does not know a bow from a stern, a registered from a documented vessel, etc.

You have to understand that you are not dealing with dockmasters who have a boating background anymore -- you are dealing with bureaucrats who are just following the script they've been given.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, west coast