Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 09:20   #106

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Sailboat depth transducer - useful?

Do people mark their sounding lines specific to their boat?
My hull sits about a foot deep, the fixed keel and point of no return for the rudder at two feet, and the centerboard down is 5 feet, all give or take a few inches.
So would it be worthwhile to have smaller increments until a fathom, then do to fathoms for the rest?
I am slowly making progress towards a casting. 3D printed model to visualize and a CNC wooden mold with some improvements like more lead around the eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_sounder_study1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	233000  
Old 21-02-2021, 09:40   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
So would it be worthwhile to have smaller increments until a fathom, then do to fathoms for the rest?
My first mark is at one fathom. While taking soundings, I find it is pretty easy to estimate that the sounding is one or two feet more or less than that mark. So, I would not find it useful to have finer resolution on the marks.

That casting looks like a fun project!
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 05:22   #108

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

Where I sail in the north end of Lake Huron, the North Channel, the glaciers have scrubbed the soil away to the south. It now resides in Ohio and Indiana or some other glacial moraines. With hard rock under the surface, knowing to parts of a foot is important. BANG, with your whole boat and your soul feeling it makes very exact depth measurement very important. I need six feet to float so eye ball estimates like one can gather from perceived water color is too fuzzy and while the water is very clear, not clear enough for my giving it an eye ball glance and have that be good enough
csonquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 15:41   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Do people mark their sounding lines specific to their boat?
My hull sits about a foot deep, the fixed keel and point of no return for the rudder at two feet, and the centerboard down is 5 feet, all give or take a few inches.
I am slowly making progress towards a casting. 3D printed model to visualize and a CNC wooden mold with some improvements like more lead around the eye.
For your boat I might make a mark at a yard, since you'll still float there, and then fathoms from then on. I need five feet to float, so if it gets under a fathom, I'm pretty close to bumping anyway.
Old 23-02-2021, 16:35   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz
For your boat I might make a mark at a yard, since you'll still float there, and then fathoms from then on. I need five feet to float, so if it gets under a fathom, I'm pretty close to bumping anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csonquist
Where I sail in the north end of Lake Huron, the North Channel, the glaciers have scrubbed the soil away to the south. It now resides in Ohio and Indiana or some other glacial moraines. With hard rock under the surface, knowing to parts of a foot is important. BANG, with your whole boat and your soul feeling it makes very exact depth measurement very important. I need six feet to float so eye ball estimates like one can gather from perceived water color is too fuzzy and while the water is very clear, not clear enough for my giving it an eye ball glance and have that be good enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr
My first mark is at one fathom. While taking soundings, I find it is pretty easy to estimate that the sounding is one or two feet more or less than that mark. So, I would not find it useful to have finer resolution on the marks. That casting looks like a fun project!

Thanks Everyone!
Old 24-02-2021, 12:45   #111

Boat: Holby Clearwater 35 -SeaScape

Quote:
Originally Posted by realem View Post
I have a Kelt 8.5 with a swing keel when I looked at boats another owner with a kelt did not have a depth sounder he just let the keel swing up. The mechanism is more like a rocker. In South Fl there are a lot of shallows so even with the swing keel which I had to raise just last week from shallow water I have depth sounders. It is nice to know when you are approaching shallow water and I just do not like running aground. In fact I have several depth sounders including one in the GPS. The GPS and the depth sounders are very useful at anchor if you start to drag into shallow water which did happen in the keys
Depth sounders are worth the investment to minimize wear and tear on a swing keel in shallow waters. We've marked the Dacron pennant for our 3000# swing keel in 1 foot increments so we have an idea of how close our keel is to the bottom as we try to avoid "sailing by braille". You can best calibrate your depth markings when your boat is in a travelift and you can progressively set the swing keel at 1 ft increments.
fcallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:09   #112

Report on the sounder casting over here, looks like we're back on topic here so I will try not to derail (again, sorry):

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3358051

I am hoping to complete a mounting of a Garmin transducer on my hull to give me depth and fish finding and temps. The Garmin head unit also has basic GPS and maps too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spot_sounder (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	233926  
Old 06-03-2021, 08:33   #113
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Report on the sounder casting over here, looks like we're back on topic here so I will try not to derail (again, sorry):

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3358051

I am hoping to complete a mounting of a Garmin transducer on my hull to give me depth and fish finding and temps. The Garmin head unit also has basic GPS and maps too.
Nice casting. What does it weigh?
Old 06-03-2021, 09:58   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Nice casting. What does it weigh?

Thanks. It is 4.84 pounds or 2.2kg now, it will probably be 4.6 pounds or a hair over 2.1 kg once I fix the bottom and drill the top. CAD reports the weight as being 5.14 pounds or 2.3 kg so I am not sure what is going on there.
Old 14-03-2021, 06:46   #115

Second attempt at molding. I added some metal bits to form the cup on the bottom. It turned out better but still not smooth enough on the bottom to use without trimming. The gasket + more clmaps worked. The mold is deteriorating, softer parts of the wood are charring into undercuts and the 'pimples' that form the 'dimples' where the hole is to be drilled for the rope split off again after being re-glued to the mold after they failed the first time. I might try replacing them with carriage bolt heads to make a third and final attempt, I might just stop as the second one is not too bad now that it is trimmed. Once I decide on the plummet, next thing is to attempt an eye splice and then measure and fix the markings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spot_sounder_2 (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	234501  

Tags
boat, depth, sail, sailboat, transducer