Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2024, 18:05   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41
Sailboat washes ashore on Pensacola Beach

Not sure if there is another thread about this, but does anyone know the circumstances/weather conditions in the Gulf of Mexico leading to the SAR and abandonment of this Morgan 45 that washed up on Pensacola Beach yesterday? Vessel name is Lady Catherine III.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8030.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	291158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	291159  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8028.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	291160  
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 18:47   #2

Re: Sailboat washes ashore on Pensacola Beach

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-n...oblems-boaters

https://www.tiktok.com/@allthingseme...57872899525931
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 19:54   #3

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

I saw the posts above, but they describe the recent weather due to tropical storm Alberto, when the boat finally reached Pensacola. However, in posts by the owner back on June 3rd, shortly after the boat was abandoned, he described battling 20ft seas in the Gulf of Mexico. I usually follow the Gulf weather pretty closely and maybe I missed something, but I don’t recall anything like that at the end of May or beginning of June. I also couldn’t find any evidence of that in the historical data from National Data Buoy Center. Maybe a severe isolated squall that kicked up? Twenty foot waves in the Gulf, from an isolated squall, would be impressive.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 20:03   #4

Yeah, I don't remember any strong storms in the Gulf during that period either. Maybe it was a typical early summer squall line that produced 6', short period chop that appeared to be "20 foot" waves.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 03:33   #5

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Another reason for the insurance companies to walk away from the sailboat segment.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 03:48   #6

Another reason to require training and licensing for boat operation. Y’know, like they do for automobiles. Not a complete panacea, but there is virtually no such requirement in most of the US and certainly not in FL
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 05:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Sadly few who should read this thread will.

The abandonment of the vessel touches on a growing problem in recreational boating. More disposable income than skills- many lack the willingness to acquire the skills. The sentient is that they have all this money, 'how hard can it be.'

Unfortunately, Cruisers Forum's many members who tell people to 'just go out there- you will work it out' are part of the problem.

Some will say that sometimes a sound vessel is abandoned for good reason- life threatening illness of the only competent sailor comes to mind. But that raises the question, "Why wasn't another semi-competent person aboard?". Keep in mind the vessel was not abandoned at 40N65W. It was abandoned west of The Keys. If you are in the GOM and west of The Keys, nav is real simple, head east to a waypoint for one of the channels.

So as long as posters here tell newbies to 'just get out there', as long as captains sign-off on new owners who aren't ready, we will see perfectly sound boats abandoned. Logically, we will continue to see insurers becoming more hesitant to write policies.

Stated differently, many who will complain about the cost of insurance are the reason rates are going up.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 05:39   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Unfortunately, Cruisers Forum's many members who tell people to 'just go out there- you will work it out' are part of the problem..
To some extent that can work, but it can't just be "jump in head first". It has to be done as a slow, careful start with an understanding of just how much you don't know. In other words, get the boat, learn the basics, start to use it. Meet people who can help you learn, work your skills up, etc. "Just go for it" doesn't by any means need to start with an ocean crossing or passage through a challenging area.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 05:41   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfree View Post
Another reason to require training and licensing for boat operation. Y’know, like they do for automobiles. Not a complete panacea, but there is virtually no such requirement in most of the US and certainly not in FL
Have you seen how they drive cars in FL?

While I'm a firm believer in operator training for boats (and have taught those classes) I'm leery of a license requirement.

The problem is, it would be a new revenue stream, and a new bureaucracy. Governments love to maximize revenue, and bureaucracies love to expand their influence (and staff.) In this case, there's little political cost in loading up "those rich boaters" with new fees and red tape to jump through.

The boater education requirements most coastal states have now implemented is probably the best compromise. It's a one-time requirement, so no ongoing fees to raise and no room for excessive administrative bureaucracy.

Obviously these are woefully inadequate, but they do at least force boaters to confront the reality that there are laws out on the water; it's not a free-for-all. This alone is a big step forward. Too bad most states allow on-line classes, which of course means the people who need it the most simply get someone else to go on line for them.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 05:46   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've always been stymied by the fact that if you've got the money, you can buy any boat you want, no experience required, no tests, no license, nuthin'...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 05:47   #11

I've done the class in 2 states at this point. One in person, one online. Personally, I think they waste way too much time on things like trailer and launch ramp use (which should be a separate course for the relevant people), leaving not nearly enough time for information relevant to actually using the boat, like COLREGS.
Old 21-06-2024, 05:51   #12

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've always been stymied by the fact that if you've got the money, you can buy any boat you want, no experience required, no tests, no license, nuthin'...
At least sailors tend to take some kind of class or join a club or something simply because sailing is complicated. Most powerboaters don't even do that hence the term "credit card captain".

Hell in many places you can rent a pontoon boat with nothing but a credit card. The guy on the water might be there because of a whim and today is the first day he ever stepped foot on a boat.

I do think insurance should be mandatory at least liability insurance. The same person who can't afford insurance also can't afford to fix your boat when they smash into it either. I know so many freak out about licensing but having seen the craziness out there I can't say it is a terrible idea. Hell grand father in people who have already completed state boater safety course plus some kind of formal training (i.e. ASA 101 level stuff).
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 05:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
At least sailors tend to take some kind of class or join a club or something simply because sailing is complicated. Most powerboaters don't even do that hence the term "credit card captain".

Hell in many places you can rent a pontoon boat with nothing but a credit card. The guy on the water might be there because of a whim and today is the first day he ever stepped foot on a boat.

I do think insurance should be mandatory at least liability insurance. The same person who can't afford insurance also can't afford to fix your boat when they smash into it either.
Agreed on all counts. We're powerboaters, but there's a reason we fit in better with the sailors. Due to the kind of stupidity I've seen in my boating life (starting from a child), my standing watch orders on our boat include the following: "All powerboats under 35 feet regardless of type, express cruisers of any size, and any boat that appears to be crewed for a party shall be assumed incompetent until proven otherwise"
Old 21-06-2024, 06:15   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailboat washes ashore on Pensacola Beach

"There but for the grace of Zeus.."
Getting a bit heavy are we not.. looking back over the years on CF I can think of many examples of alledgedly 'experienced sailors' abandoning their boats for seemingly trivial reasons..
"I could not charge my IPad for my navigation.."
"I ran out of gas so could not cook.."
"I ran outa diesel.."
Maybe he abandoned because his forestay ripped up the foredeck.. looks pretty grim in the picture.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 06:28   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

there is a posting today

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ly-287139.html

sensible approach.

and agree with BM, that boat looks "quite grim", certainly with the sails tattered like that will have a hard time to hove to and give the crew a brake.

Overheating the engine, a common problem when trying to power your way out of rough conditions for hours.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, pensacola, sail, sailboat