Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16   #16

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Re: Sailboats vs. Powerboats which is better?

Depends on where you are and what you are going to use the boat for. If it is just moving south for the winter then back north for the summer on the ICW, along with short local jaunts, then I would go with a power boat. If you are going offshore for any length of time, staying in the Carib for a period, etc. then a sailboat is the way to go. Power boats have more room for the same length than a sailboat. That is primarily a function of the hull shape and requirements. If you decide to go power, do a lot of research on gas vs. diesel. It is not an open and shut case that diesel is better, even for a larger power boat. Diesel is certainly more expensive and unless you are talking a larger power boat or a trawler, you don't get that money back in fuel savings.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21   #17

Your parameters are 20'-40'!

How do you compare a 20' to a 40'?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:29   #18

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Your parameters are 20'-40'! How do you compare a 20' to a 40'?
Darned good question. I have owned a 36' sailboat and a 37' powerboat. I lived on each of them for periods of time, and each had its charms. I now own a 24' express which I use as a day tripper or for overnights. I would never consider trying to live on that boat.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38   #19

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

First of all , are you a skilled sailor ?

Much more to sailing, than turning a key and pushing the throttles up.

You want something cheap in any boat, in my long experience you are headed for a load of problems. Mostly due to lack of maintenance , upkeep, failed systems, rigging needing replacement, hull damage or blistered, and that list will go on and on and on. Maybe buy stock in West Marine.

Power boat: Most powerboats , I have found , have much more room and cabin space, and easier movements for people on deck and in the cabin.

Power boat: Much faster, unless it is trawler, than a sail boat. Trawler is a little faster than a sailing vessel.

Fuel costs: Motor vessel, Stand by to stand bay. Have a many credit card wallet . And fuel will be a large cost not counting all the power boat systems and goodies that have problems.

Fuel costs: Sailing vessel. And I mean sailing, Example: Erica and I, 36 ft sailing vessel....Two seperate, 2 full weeks sailing the BVI. 7.0 gallons on one vacatiion....two years later 7.2 Gals of fuel used in two weeks.

If you know zip about sailing, you either need to take lessons and be very dedicated, or buy a power boat .

On the other hand, you can buy a sailing vessel, and not even hoist a sail, and motor to hearts content. Speeds under power will vary as to max hull speed depending on the length. 30 ft. sail...about 5 or so kts plus.

Fuel coasts due the small diesel motor, will be less motoring a sailing vessel than a power boat. 1/2 to 3/4 gals per hour for a 30 to 40 ft sail boat.

Powerboat will be more comfortable especially in early morning calm seas.
Later, when the windwaves and swells pick up, you will be traveling much slower than in calm conditions.

Powerboat, will be more in tune with booze cruising, and party time, and much more adaptable to having guests on board in more space and ease of comfort and even moving throughout the vessel. Same LOA ( length overall).

Depends on your seamanship, sailing knowledge, power boat skills, and what you personally want out of a boat.

Others have mentioned the same ideas.

There is a lot to purchasing a cheap, old, boat of any kind. A used boat that has been taken care of, including preventitive maintenance, may be an OK deal but I do not believe anything that a broker or boat owner tells me .

I have to fully inspect the vessel myself for a couple or three hours, and then take it out for a real sea trial, and all that passes , have it surveyed, and there is another problem , getting a full on survey .

Suggest that you get an idea of the difference in the living spaces between a sail and power boat by looking at a whole lot of em. Powerboat will generally win the livable comfort trophy on that one .

We are avid sailors, but, if we were going to live on board , it would be a power boat about 38- 40 ft. Also, I like a bow thruster for docking or close quarters maneuvering.

Do others feel that way ? Nope, I have known people who lived aboard on 20 foot sailing vessels. Or 30 ft power boats that had no engine . Just comes back to personal choices.

Power or sail " NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE OCEAN.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43   #20

As I said in one of these threads "Powerboats are all about the destination and sailboats are about the journey" If your planning to live aboard at the dock powerboats are better setup for day to day living but will cost you anytime you pull out to go somewhere. Sailboats on the other hand generally require a bit more getting used to because you live in the boat and less on the deck. As for your craigslist numbers you have to remember you get what you pay for. There are a lot of derelict boats that will cost a small fortune to fix up. I would put your budget closer to $50K either sail or power for a boat worth while living on . You also have to remember Boats are named after women for a good reason in that a boat is a jealous mistress and will always empty your pocketbook and leave you with a smile on your face.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:44   #21

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

One interesting difference is that while powerboats of a similar length tend to have more interior room, sailboats tend to have more space for your stuff in the form of lockers, nooks, etc. Most of my powerboat friends are amazed at all the little places I can store things. They are almost always pointing out that they have no place to store this or that and the ones that live aboard tend to end up buying cabinets.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:11   #22

Boat: C-26

42 years on the water and have never owned or even looked at a power boat. I guess that is my opinionated answer.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'll let you in on a little secret...sailboats are really slow, especially monohulls. Many of us think of 5knots (thats almost 6mph!) as going really fast.

Powerboats are superfast in comparison.

On the other hand, spend a little time lingering around the service dock where they sell fuel. The sailboats come in and fill up for $50. Its not unusual for a powerboat to put in "just" $1000 worth, you know, for the afternoon.

Every boat is a compromise.

Some people think cats are the answer. Personally, I'm a dog person.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:13   #24

Boat: C-26

Good point hamburking. I put $10 of non ethanol in my tank (which is 4 gallons) to fuel my 10 hp outboard and it lasts all summer and more.
I went skiing with a friend on his twin 454 Cheetah and it cost us $250 for the day just for high octane fuel.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:03   #25

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:

Well said matey!

Craigslist... the cheapo boat dreamers best friend.
Old 03-08-2018, 13:30   #26

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

wouldnt putting a bigger outboard on a sailboat make it faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret...sailboats are really slow, especially monohulls. Many of us think of 5knots (thats almost 6mph!) as going really fast.

Powerboats are superfast in comparison.

On the other hand, spend a little time lingering around the service dock where they sell fuel. The sailboats come in and fill up for $50. Its not unusual for a powerboat to put in "just" $1000 worth, you know, for the afternoon.

Every boat is a compromise.

Some people think cats are the answer. Personally, I'm a dog person.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:33   #27

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Quote:

I am just ballparking it, perhaps 30 is the correct answer.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 14:06   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post

Not usually. Hull shape and length determines speed.

Except maybe for a MacGregor 26, which is only sometimes a sailboat, sometimes a power boat with a mast.

-Chris
Old 03-08-2018, 14:34   #29

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post

Surprisingly, no. Cruising sailboats (the ones you're looking at) don't plane the way motorboats do. Since they don't plane, beyond a certain "hull speed" which is based on their length, adding power does very little.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 16:00   #30

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Most boats are purpose built. Some would argue that row boats are the best.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat