Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 15:33   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Sailing

I thought I would post about a sailing experience.

This is not about batteries.

Not about a 6 year restoration project.

Not about a beginner sailor with no experience looking for a boat to sail round the world.

It's not even about anchoring.

No, it's just about sailing.

It may not be important for beginners wanting to sail the world or guys wanting the maximum power out of their batteries, but I think sailing can be interesting

The temp on Friday here was 90 degrees.

Today it's 55 degrees.

I decided to sail out on Saturday early morning to see the change.

It was fun stuff but occurred very slowly with a 3 hour sail to the NW while the wind switched from SW-W-N-NW-W etc.

After I had sailed maybe 6 miles and was in the shipping channel, the wind stopped dead. There was a container ship maybe 2 mile away so I got the engine in the water and running, furled the jib, and started to turn.

Then I noticed the predicted wind coming in.

It came in from the ENE and quickly went from zero to about 18 knots.

During that time, I shutoff and pulled the engine back up and out of the water, unhooked the fuel line, unfurled the jib, tightened up the sail and had a very fast sail in hitting good speeds all the way

It was also a very good workout. Then I had to get the sails down and dock the thing..............

I had to make two attempts at docking

All in all a very nice early Spring Shakedown Cruise.

Next weekend, it's crossing the bay and anchoring out which will include hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:39   #2

Re: Sailing

Rule #1, if you start the engine the wind picks up.
Rule #2, If you put up the sails the wind dies.
Your choice...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 20:01   #3

Boat: Kaufman 47

Nice!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 20:06   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Always good to hear about sailing! I've been going out lately and it shows me all the things I want to fix, fix over again, buy and splurge on. Looking forward to summer!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Always good to hear about sailing! I've been going out lately and it shows me all the things I want to fix, fix over again, buy and splurge on. Looking forward to summer!
My boat needs many things painted or replaced but I'm still trying to figure out how much I want spend on it, and if I'm going to keep it

It's 42 years old.

The main was new in 2011 and so was the outboard. The solar panel, controller, and inverters are new.

Otherwise, I've done nothing except sand and throw a bit paint on the bottom a couple times and the topside hull since I bought it 6 years ago

But I have sailed it quite a bit mostly staying within 100 miles of this location.

Since it's been said these boats are overbuilt, I'm testing that.

I've replaced no rigging or thruhulls but have inspected them.
Old 25-04-2017, 04:28   #6

Nice reminder of what it is all about thomm225. Went out last Saturday on Lake Ontario. Water temp 39 degrees and the air not much warmer. 13 knot wind out of the northwest with 1 -2 foot waves. Canadian shore visible through binoculars from 31 miles away. Zipping along just a bit above 7 knots with 100% and main. Glorious day albeit a bit lonely. No other sailboats enjoying a brisk spring sail. Nice sail after a long winter.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 05:03   #7

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

I'll be in your neck of the woods in 31 days myself and doing my own spring shakedown.

I've been watching the weather there for a few weeks now trying to get an idea of what the trends for this time of year are like.

18knts sounds like a very brisk sail indeed. 27 Bristol hull speed around 7-8 knots? What's the fastest you think you've had her?
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 06:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
I'll be in your neck of the woods in 31 days myself and doing my own spring shakedown.

I've been watching the weather there for a few weeks now trying to get an idea of what the trends for this time of year are like.

18knts sounds like a very brisk sail indeed. 27 Bristol hull speed around 7-8 knots? What's the fastest you think you've had her?
The hull speed is 5.96 with the short 19.75 LWL.

Coming in after the wind changed and the temp dropped about 15 degrees, I was sailing between 6.0 and 6.3 knots, but I did have some current with me.

Highest speed I ever hit was 7.3 going downwind when I got caught in 30 mph winds with no place to go. I had to sail it.

Speeds are from my old GPS.

Btw, the forecast was for 10-15 knots. It's the typical Spring weather/wind with quite a few breezy days. The buoy nearby record 17. 6 knots or so I believe.

This Bay is a lot different from Pensacola Bay where I used to allowed my 15 year old son and his friends to sail to Pensacola Beach on his Hobie 16 from Bayou Grande back in the day to pickup chicks!

Like with any sailing, once you think you can handle most any situation something happens. They got caught in a huge storm coming back one July afternoon and ended up at the marine barracks on the base. Winds were high 20's with thunder and lightning. I was observing from that park on the mainland by Pensacola Yacht Club as the storm came over the boat. I watched it disappear and could do nothing to help. They were mid bay and headed West at a high speed.

Luckily my 15 year old son had 5 years sailing experience by then and was able to get the thing to the beach without flipping. He and his crew members ( a 12 and 14 year old) were all on the stern trying the keep the boat from pitchpoling

Your boat should be just about right for up here. It has good depth and LWL for that size boat.
Old 25-04-2017, 08:25   #9

I grew up on that stretch of beach between H and I streets on Sonya right on the water, just a few blocks from the Pensacola Yacht Club. We would swim across the bayou there and fish from the old docks.

I once fought what I thought would be the biggest fish of my life for nearly three hours. It turned out to be an ice bag caught in the outgoing current from Bayou Chico. I live only about two miles from Bayou Grande now and go there pretty often. It's still a nice view of the lighthouse on the base from the Gulf Beach Hwy side.

I guess it's pretty much like people say that if you don't like the weather here wait five minutes. You're almost guaranteed a small shower every evening through June, July, and August around here.

I'm excited to head up there and have a go at Chesapeake Bay and then on to the keys next month. If all goes well we'll be back here by mid July and likely in Bayou Grande on the hook.
Old 25-04-2017, 08:57   #10

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Yeah...sailing. Launched my new-to-me boat three days ago in the Reedville, Virginia area. Short sail over to a small creek to hide from the weather. Stuck here for a couple of days now. Tomorrow is looking good for sailing down the Chesapeake Bay. Couple of days at anchor, doing some electrical work, discovering leaks, upgrading systems, anchor dragged in the middle of the night, and well...just a lot of fun!

Can't wait to get out sailing tomorrow and stop stressing about this-or-that electrical system, that bit of teak that needs some sandpaper and TLC, or that portlight that is weeping just a bit when it rains (Will get to it eventually).

Yeah, sailing.
Old 25-04-2017, 09:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
I grew up on that stretch of beach between H and I streets on Sonya right on the water, just a few blocks from the Pensacola Yacht Club. We would swim across the bayou there and fish from the old docks.

I once fought what I thought would be the biggest fish of my life for nearly three hours. It turned out to be an ice bag caught in the outgoing current from Bayou Chico. I live only about two miles from Bayou Grande now and go there pretty often. It's still a nice view of the lighthouse on the base from the Gulf Beach Hwy side.

I guess it's pretty much like people say that if you don't like the weather here wait five minutes. You're almost guaranteed a small shower every evening through June, July, and August around here.

I'm excited to head up there and have a go at Chesapeake Bay and then on to the keys next month. If all goes well we'll be back here by mid July and likely in Bayou Grande on the hook.
Here's a good weather buoy I use to monitor the conditions before sailing. It's right at the bridge where the Atlantic meets the Bay

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=cbbv2

The front that was beginning the day I sailed above has just now gone through and the sun is out. It was still blowing in the 30 knot range this morning though when I checked the boat.

Winds are predicted to be SW this weekend from around 11-15 knots. I'm planning to sail North 20 -30 miles or so.
Old 25-04-2017, 09:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here's a good weather buoy I use to monitor the conditions before sailing. It's right at the bridge where the Atlantic meets the Bay

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=cbbv2

The front that was beginning the day I sailed above has just now gone through and the sun is out. It was still blowing in the 30 knot range this morning though when I checked the boat.

Winds are predicted to be SW this weekend from around 11-15 knots. I'm planning to sail North 20 -30 miles or so.
Thanks for that WX information. I'm sure I'll use it. I think it's about 40 miles South from where I'm leaving to the AICW. I won't see much of the Atlantic until I get to Beaufort, SC. Then the next hop is to Jacksonville. I'm still working on charting everything out and plotting the trip.
Old 25-04-2017, 15:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Yeah...sailing. Launched my new-to-me boat three days ago in the Reedville, Virginia area. Short sail over to a small creek to hide from the weather. Stuck here for a couple of days now. Tomorrow is looking good for sailing down the Chesapeake Bay. Couple of days at anchor, doing some electrical work, discovering leaks, upgrading systems, anchor dragged in the middle of the night, and well...just a lot of fun!

Can't wait to get out sailing tomorrow and stop stressing about this-or-that electrical system, that bit of teak that needs some sandpaper and TLC, or that portlight that is weeping just a bit when it rains (Will get to it eventually).

Yeah, sailing.
Looks like the wind will be out of the South for a few days, you may want to consider sailing across to Onancock.

The creek is about 5 mile or so but is very well protected and you can anchor free right near the Wharf. And they have a dinghy dock. Plus there are lots of art shops and a couple small bars. The Farmers Market may be open also.

Official Town of Onancoock Website Home Page

Tags
sailing, sail