Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57   #16

Re: Sailing Across Lake Michigan

Another alternative is to sail across the lake from Racine to Muskegon, where your crew can take the Lake Express Ferry back to Milwaukee, and get rides home with friends? You could harbor hop Muskegon to Grand Haven to Holland to South Haven.

I'm a little apprehensive about your crossing Lake Michigan with your current skill level. You mentioned that you're not sure whether you have autopilot or just a wheel lock. If the difference between the two isn't immediately apparent to you, that's a bit of a red flag to me with regard to whether a lake crossing is prudent. Good weather, no problem. Bad weather, and maybe a mechanical issue, could be a problem.

I like the idea already presented of doing the entire trip by harbor hopping. To answer a previous responder, yes the boat is capable of traveling the distance across the lake, but by hopping, you're never very far from the nearest port. Weather permitting, you can leave each morning at 8:00a.m. and travel to the next port in daylight.

One crew member should be sufficient. Return by rental car.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:06   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
That's kind of funny. I was born on the shores of Lake Michigan in Holland and have also spent an incredible amount of time on it. We wonder often why we don't go to Milwaukee more often. I mean - it's right there - see it.

No you don't, and you don't see it before the side you left disappears for quite a while. But it really isn't that far. If you think your boat can go 100 miles straight along the shoreline, why do you think it can't go 80 miles straight across.

So, Palarran,
You would advise Gary to do a lake crossing to save 20 miles when he states the following: "I am have beginner/intermediate experience on Lake Michigan but have never sailed across the Lake. . . I am conservative by nature and do not want to take unnecessary risks. . . I have had the boat for a year now and have only done cruising around the shore. " Garymadhatter The reality is that a lake Michigan crossing in June when the deep water temperature is in the 40's and 50's, the presence of sea fog, both day and night, and the vagaries of the late Spring winds which can morph from calm to well into the 30's or higher is a good window for a beginner/intermediate with a pickup crew who has never crossed the lake in his 30' sailboat? In my opinion, this is truly bad advice for a man who has been honest about his experience and his concerns. I can tell you after sailing thousands of miles on Lake Michigan, in all weather ranges, that when you sail Lake Michigan in the early Spring/late Fall you're in for a serious passage and one that is patently uncomfortable even when well dressed. And, as a "beginner/intermediate," if you get into trouble-- it could be quite serious. Contributors on CF need to consider their words when giving others advice that does not match their experience level and could result in a bad day or worse. Just go for it??? I don't think so. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:23   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
So, Palarran,
You would advise Gary to do a lake crossing to save 20 miles when he states the following: "I am have beginner/intermediate experience on Lake Michigan but have never sailed across the Lake. . . I am conservative by nature and do not want to take unnecessary risks. . . I have had the boat for a year now and have only done cruising around the shore. " Garymadhatter The reality is that a lake Michigan crossing in June when the deep water temperature is in the 40's and 50's, the presence of sea fog, both day and night, and the vagaries of the late Spring winds which can morph from calm to well into the 30's or higher is a good window for a beginner/intermediate with a pickup crew who has never crossed the lake in his 30' sailboat? In my opinion, this is truly bad advice for a man who has been honest about his experience and his concerns. I can tell you after sailing thousands of miles on Lake Michigan, in all weather ranges, that when you sail Lake Michigan in the early Spring/late Fall you're in for a serious passage and one that is patently uncomfortable even when well dressed. And, as a "beginner/intermediate," if you get into trouble-- it could be quite serious. Contributors on CF need to consider their words when giving others advice that does not match their experience level and could result in a bad day or worse. Just go for it??? I don't think so. Good luck and safe sailing.
It's a day trip for cryin' out loud. Like any other trip, pick your weather and go. It ain't rocket surgery.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13   #19

Boat: Outbound 46

Someone mentioned a life raft for this voyage -- give me a break. We carry a liferaft for the contingency of being 1000 miles offshore and several days before a rescue. On the Great Lakes, where you're rarely out of VHF range of shore, it would be a waste.

80 miles is going to be 15 hours or so, so you need to have enough crew to have someone on watch the whole time. Two people is plenty, three would be comfy. Daytime or nighttime is purely your preference. The stars at night will be fabulous (if its not overcast).

The later in the summer, the warmer the water temperature. And certainly keeping a close eye on the NOAA weather forecast is critical. There are at least occasional days when no thunderstorms are predicted. Choose one.

Save the beer/booze for when you arrive.

This is going to be fun, don't scare yourself!
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

First off, the OP needs to do what is comfortable for him/her. If harbour hopping around the south feels better, then do that. You’re retired … what’s the rush? It would be a great trip.

The cross lake run is about 80 nm. A lot can happen on the Great Lakes in 80 nm. At that time of year fog will likely be a serious factor. And there is freighter and recreational traffic to deal with. The water will be cold, and weather windows can shrink, although June tends to be fairly stable on the Great Lakes.

If I were doing this crossing, I would get a working autopilot, get a heater, make sure my fog horn works, grab a friend and pick a safe weather window. Winds are generally westerlies, so you should have a nice run. Make sandwiches and have a few thermoses of warm soup/stew, coffee, etc. Nothing better than a warm meal on a cold night crossing.

Assuming a boat speed of 4-5 knots I would plan for about 20 hours. Leave around noon ensures you’ll arrive in good light on the other side.

BTW, I would also listen closely to those who sail L. Michigan. It is the one lake I have not sailed. Lots of night crossings under my belt on Superior, Huron, Erie and Ontario though.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:33   #21

[QUOTE=siamese;2390687]Another alternative is to sail across the lake from Racine to Muskegon, where your crew can take the Lake Express Ferry back to Milwaukee, and get rides home with friends? You could harbor hop Muskegon to Grand Haven to Holland to South Haven.

I'm a little apprehensive about your crossing Lake Michigan with your current skill level. You mentioned that you're not sure whether you have autopilot or just a wheel lock. If the difference between the two isn't immediately apparent to you, that's a bit of a red flag to me with regard to whether a lake crossing is prudent. Good weather, no problem. Bad weather, and maybe a mechanical issue, could be a problem.

I like the idea already presented of doing the entire trip by harbor hopping. To answer a previous responder, yes the boat is capable of traveling the distance across the lake, but by hopping, you're never very far from the nearest port. Weather permitting, you can leave each morning at 8:00a.m. and travel to the next port in daylight.

One crew member should be sufficient. Return by rental car.[/QUOTE

No need to be apprehensive to a fault. Suggest you check the make, quality and workings of your AP but don't depend on it to do more than basic steering. Although the Lakes can get nasty at anytime, checking weather windows will give you a better chance of milder condititions. I would also suggest you invest in Seatow or Boattow U.S. (your choice but don't go w/o one or the other). If you find one that offers assistance within 100 miles, a quick radio or cell phone call can get you assistance if needed. You can't teach experience (good or bad) but letting a lack therof hinder your efforts leads to remaining tied to the docks. Remember, even if you hire an experienced crew (unless you hire a delivery captain) the crew you hire will look to you for directions. Make sure you consider the available options for their return home and present them before bringing them on. Although friends and family seem more readily available, they may not be able to provide what is required. Again, it's your call but be fair warned. Keep doing what you are doing by researching all the available internet sources to upgrade your knowledge of the crossing, your vessel and its equipment. Finally, why not wait til next month with the beginning of summer, warmer weather and waters and calmer waters (there can still be the potential for unexpected weather on the waters but far less likely or frequent). Plan, plan, plan and have a fun and safe trip. Blessings, Bruce V on SV BEATITUDES (by His Grace) Harbor North, Huron, Ohio
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:49   #22

Boat: Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I have sailed LM for over 30 years. A lake crossing any time of year is a serious passage. My advice to you based on your honest dialogue and experience level is to harbor hop: Racine to Chicago; Chicago to Benton Harbor; Benton Harbor to Saugatuck. A nice 3-day sail with no frightened or angry mariners. One mate is sufficient. Arrange a rental car on the other end for your return. Good luck and safe sailing.
Thanks. I might just do that with my girlfriend who is not an experienced sailor but has the summer off work.
Garymadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:51   #23

Just go straight across when conditions are good. If the wind isn't conducive to sailing, crank up the engine. Assuming you maintain at least 5kts, you should be able to depart early morning and arrive during daylight that time of year.

To go down around the south end of the lake is much further and realistically I would plan on at least a week to wait out bad weather. It just creates more problems than is solves.

If you can get a heater that would be good other wise make sure to dress warm and take at least one other person so you can trade off going into the cabin to get warmed up a bit.

Assuming you don't force it on a questionable day, no reason to get paranoid.

Train, rental car or muskegon ferry are all options. Will you have a car locally available?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:02   #24

Thanks to all who have taken the time to contribute to this post. I am getting lots of good information that already is making me feel better about my trip. It is forums like this and the sailing community in general that make me glad that I got a boat in the first place. Fair winds and smooth sailing to all!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Just go straight across when conditions are good. If the wind isn't conducive to sailing, crank up the engine. Assuming you maintain at least 5kts, you should be able to depart early morning and arrive during daylight that time of year.

To go down around the south end of the lake is much further and realistically I would plan on at least a week to wait out bad weather. It just creates more problems than is solves.

If you can get a heater that would be good other wise make sure to dress warm and take at least one other person so you can trade off going into the cabin to get warmed up a bit.

Assuming you don't force it on a questionable day, no reason to get paranoid.

Train, rental car or muskegon ferry are all options. Will you have a car locally available?
If I go with my girlfriend, I we can drop a car in South Haven the day before.
You have certainly given me some food for thought. The 16 hp diesel ought to do the trick if needed. If the day we pick has no wind at all, I may have to motor all the way. That's certainly OK but I wonder if my 19 gallon tank is sufficient to do it or if an auxiliary can would be in order.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:52   #26

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

If you are the kind of person for whom Good Luck follows you everywhere, then I suppose you could make the crossing without an issue. However, if you know Murphy of Murphy's Law by his first name(its Ed, BTW), then you need to prepare for the worst possible situation. And in preparing for the worst possible situation, a little bit of paranoia is worthwhile.

Assume that you expect good weather with a good breeze. Suppose the weather suddenly changes and it gets a lot worse, with 35 knot winds and 5-7 foot seas. Are you prepared to deal with 10 hours of that. Suppose your 20 hour trip turns into a 48 hour trip, do you have the clothing, food, water for that? Suppose the wind dies, and you have to motor and then your motor goes south on you for no other reason than it didn't tell you it was time for its annual vacation, can you deal with that? Will you have the equipment to be able to call the USCG FROM 40 miles out? Suppose the fog rolls in and you can't see 10 feet in front of you and you hear the fog horn of a freighter nearby. Suppose a freak accident throws one of you out of the boat in 50 degree water, do you have a winch for the other person to drag you back into the boat? In 50 degree water for 10 minutes, you will not be able to climb back in yourself, hyperthermic with heavy wet clothes, since you are a retired person, not a Navy Seal. You will have hyperthermia at that point and the other person will need to drive. Can the other person run your boat? Suppose a piece of wood holes your boat out in the middle, what will you do?

Any time you are sailing in a place where there is no easy help, you need to be prepared for the worst things that can happen, and not assume that it will be easy. And that could be in a Bay where almost no ONE sails, and the only towing service is the USCG 20 miles away.

Murphy follows me wherever I go. I've had to call the USCG for help in a situation which should have been a total piece of cake simply sailing a measly six miles from launch to my mooring. It taught me that I need to prepare for a cascading set of worst case scenarios(which was what happened), and not assume that just because it looks like it could be easy, that it will be. The water doesn't like you or care about you. And the temperature of the water wants to kill you if you fall in or or the boat sinks.

Sailing is all about "Be prepared" not "Have a blast". If you are prepared for nearly anything, then my experience shows me that nothing will happen, or at least nothing that you haven't prepared for. And being prepared for anything is really all about having a blast.

Take the harbor hopping route. Your post doesn't show that you are remotely: PREPARED FOR ANYTHING!
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:16   #27

Several years ago I made the trip from Muskegon to Chicago in a Pearson Electra (22.5'), overnight with two more experienced friends, in May. It was cold, the stars were amazing and we didn't spot our first freighter 'till we were about a mile west of the southbound lane. No radio, no liferaft. Carefully pick your whether window... most important. When the sun came up we were a couple of miles off the Bahai Temple in Evanston and we broad reached down to Montrose harbor. It was a glorious sail! Good luck and be safe. Oh, it was my first time across the lake too.
woodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:43   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garymadhatter View Post
do have auto pilot but I haven't used it and I think it only works as far as locking the wheel in place manually.
A heater is certainly worth looking into. Any suggestions as to what kind?
A wheel lock is not an autohelm. Without autohelm, you should take 2 crew, since someone will always be at the helm. You should NOT take the helm...the skipper needs to be thinking about everything ELSE. Leave in the evening and sail all night. Likely no one will sleep much anyway. Take lots of hot drinks, coffee, etc in thermos containers so you don't have to cook...and plenty of good sandwiches.

Warm clothes (ww gear, sea boots) are far superior to trying to heat below. You need to be on watch, so a heater below will be of no use except perhaps to set the boat on fire.

Its a straight crossing, nothing fancy. Keep a good lookout for ships. Don't do anything foolish. Choose a good weather window.

If you were a bit closer, I'd go with you for sure...sounds like a fun trip. Buy your crew a train or bus ticket home when you arrive. If they are lucky, a family member will come pick them up.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes (with pictures too, of course!)
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy View Post
Several years ago I made the trip from Muskegon to Chicago in a Pearson Electra (22.5'), overnight with two more experienced friends, in May. It was cold, the stars were amazing and we didn't spot our first freighter 'till we were about a mile west of the southbound lane. No radio, no liferaft. Carefully pick your whether window... most important. When the sun came up we were a couple of miles off the Bahai Temple in Evanston and we broad reached down to Montrose harbor. It was a glorious sail! Good luck and be safe. Oh, it was my first time across the lake too.
Thanks. I hope I can be so lucky.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
A wheel lock is not an autohelm. Without autohelm, you should take 2 crew, since someone will always be at the helm. You should NOT take the helm...the skipper needs to be thinking about everything ELSE. Leave in the evening and sail all night. Likely no one will sleep much anyway. Take lots of hot drinks, coffee, etc in thermos containers so you don't have to cook...and plenty of good sandwiches.

Warm clothes (ww gear, sea boots) are far superior to trying to heat below. You need to be on watch, so a heater below will be of no use except perhaps to set the boat on fire.

Its a straight crossing, nothing fancy. Keep a good lookout for ships. Don't do anything foolish. Choose a good weather window.

If you were a bit closer, I'd go with you for sure...sounds like a fun trip. Buy your crew a train or bus ticket home when you arrive. If they are lucky, a family member will come pick them up.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes (with pictures too, of course!)
Thanks for the advice. An extra crew member, perhaps retired like me, sounds like a good idea.

Tags
sail, sailing