Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 15:23   #46
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Sailing From Jax Florida To Puerto Rico Please Respond. Any Input Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Dockhead, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I didn't misunderstand the OP, I knew he was referring to himself, the term is offensive in whatever context and this Forum is pretty careful about language, I think. And, for the record, I was giving him serious advice about the trip, been there, done that, have the t-shirt, and I can tell you he couldn't count on being able to get safely far enough east from anywhere in Florida to sail south to Puerto Rico, in the winter the trades are the problem, in the summer the chance of a hurricane -- on a26 foot McGregor he is unlikely to have SSB or other reliable weather routing information. I don't believe he is a serious sailor, so I'm not now very concerned. And who knew there were "McGregor dealers" anywhere. Sigh.

I agree with you. The term is offensive to me also. You gave him good advice.
Old 05-11-2012, 15:37   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Sailing From Jax Florida To Puerto Rico Please Respond. Any Input Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
.................. the term is offensive...................
Hannah on Rita, Your advice about the course to take to Puerto Rico is universally wise; however, the interpretation of a word selected as retard, feeble, dimwitted, stupid or inane and more is tempered with a worldwide variety of connotations and very difficult to evaluate. I hope you can accept that many might not see the term as sensitive or applied in the manner that you perceive it to be.
Old 05-11-2012, 15:57   #48

Boat: IP 31' sloop

A 26' McGregor is definitely NOT a blue water boat. I am a thrill seeker, but would not make the trip as you want to. Time to regroup......
Old 05-11-2012, 16:06   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperr100 View Post
A 26' McGregor is definitely NOT a blue water boat. I am a thrill seeker, but would not make the trip as you want to. Time to regroup......
WARNING......THREAD DERAIL IMMANENT!!!

Hey, another Alabamian. I thought we were the minority around here.

Glad I found someone else from a somewhat close location.

Awesome

James L

END IF THREAD DERAILMENT!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 16:19   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Hannah on Rita, Your advice about the course to take to Puerto Rico is universally wise; however, the interpretation of a word selected as retard, feeble, dimwitted, stupid or inane and more is tempered with a worldwide variety of connotations and very difficult to evaluate. I hope you can accept that many might not see the term as sensitive or applied in the manner that you perceive it to be.

Capt, to anyone who works with people who have special needs or have such a person within their family, that word is like calling a Black man the N word. It is that offensive to some people. I think it's going to take time for that view to be completely accepted, but having taught special needs students and having successfully raised a child with some significant challenges to be a very successful young lady, that word hits me right in the solar plexis. There was a time when racial comments were widely accepted, too. Thank goodness that time is gone.
Old 05-11-2012, 16:29   #51

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Watch out, the PC police are out in full force!

Thread should have been locked when I suggested it!
Old 05-11-2012, 16:41   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post

Oh no......we are

I try to be PC most of the time.....but I will sometimes pull the pin on the grenade. I just try to do it with sarcasm and without name calling. I'm trying to be a useful member of CF and not have huge a huge number of people ignore me.

James L
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Elskede is asking for free advise on a public forum and in that situation you don't get to tell people what they can and cannot say.
Frankly, I always get a pretty good laugh out of the people who try.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post

Ah - yep.

The OP's problem has been solved, and there is nothing left of the original topic to discuss. Since the discussion is becoming truly irrelevant and useless from a cruising point of view, this would be a good time to close it.

Cheers, everyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, sailing