Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2022, 07:16   #1

Sailing Med in June

I'm a newbie poster here so hello everyone.
I apologize in advance, as I'm sure my question has been covered at some point over the years but here goes.
As a family of 4, we have had 5 sailing trips covering Turkey Dodecanese, Ionian and Balearics, but due to school holidays, these have been restricted to the July/August high season. My kids will now be at University so we can go away in June which suits me as I'm a virtual Albino, and the med sun in August isn't my idea of fun. We can also take advantage of lack of crowds, lower cost and better wind. We prefer to anchor in a nice bay, or a free restaurant pontoon as in Turkey rather than a marina.
So where in the med has decent wind and nice safe anchorages in June please?

P.S. was very frustrated with the Ionian's "3pm onwards" wind this year as I like to sail, not motor.

Thank you.
Mo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 07:23   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Sailing Med in June

June is still high season, you really need may or October to get advantages of low season crowds and pricing.

Certainly the Ionian is classic “motoring or sailing in a gale” like a lot of the med. the eastern side of Greece is more windy.

I’d really never go seeking “ windy “ places. The gods laugh and hand you gales

Agree July and Aug can be unbearable the Ionian was rammed full this summer and 40 degrees is hot hot. We went home to Ireland to boat and basked in 17 degrees C weather , rain, three big storms and. More rain. Not crowded though. !!!!
Old 24-10-2022, 07:44   #3

Re: Sailing Med in June

I enjoyed the 20+ late afternoon wind out of Lefkas, but the rest of the day was dead calm. I know we're in the lap of the gods, but where offers a good chance of all day breezes? Turkey was great, but the prices have gone through the roof.
Mo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 08:15   #4
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Joe View Post
I enjoyed the 20+ late afternoon wind out of Lefkas, but the rest of the day was dead calm. I know we're in the lap of the gods, but where offers a good chance of all day breezes? Turkey was great, but the prices have gone through the roof.

In the southern Ionian the typical wind forecast is 2-4. This translates into little before 4pm. ( there’s sometimes a little morning breeze )

Since you need to be in the quays or anchorages by 2pm to get a spot , you’ll do a lot of motoring if you want to cover ground.
Old 24-10-2022, 10:05   #5

Sardinia/Corsica in June are great, so as is Croatia.
June is the shoulder season of high season. Crowds are certainly less, but still plenty of tourists and boats. Prices also a bit lower, but not dramatically.
Overall, June is a good compromise, good chance of nice weather and wind and not overly crowded. May is more a matter of luck, some years weather is excellent, some years is not.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 10:09   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Sardinia/Corsica in June are great, so as is Croatia.

June is the shoulder season of high season. Crowds are certainly less, but still plenty of tourists and boats. Prices also a bit lower, but not dramatically.

Overall, June is a good compromise, good chance of nice weather and wind and not overly crowded. May is more a matter of luck, some years weather is excellent, some years is not.

Croatia has got very expensive

Corsica is lovely but mooring space is under great pressure.

As I live in the Ionian may is a beautiful weather period in fact April and may are the two nicest months for great weather without the stultifying heat.

Sardinia certainly the olbisn coast is very expensive

In Greece places like the Peloponnese are lovely , quiet, in expensive but hard to charter.

Tags
sail, sailing