Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27   #1

Sailing/Motoring Cleveland,OH to Chesapeake

Hey Folks....want to pick your collective brains....how long to go from Cleveland, OH to Deltaville, VA with good weather? Just bought a boat and need to relocate it and I have a limited amount of time (30 days leave from Afghanistan). Plan on the month of June. No, I haven't done any real trip planning or research yet...just wanted to know if it was a realistic possibility. I really don't want it transported via truck, if possible. Thanks in advance.
hover2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Sailing/Motoring Cleveland,OH to Chesapeake

Going every day 3 weeks should do it. Cleveland to Buffalo. NY State Canals to Hudson. Down the Hudson. One long stretch NY to Cape May. Up the Delaware Bay. C & D Canal and if you're short of time you could run the Chesapeake to Deltaville in one go. All weather dependent but June should help. I have been from Toronto to top of Chesapeake in 11 days. Longest stretches about 120 miles each. Toronto to Oswego, Upper Nyack NY to Cape May. Not too enjoyable though.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Going every day 3 weeks should do it. Cleveland to Buffalo. NY State Canals to Hudson. Down the Hudson. One long stretch NY to Cape May. Up the Delaware Bay. C & D Canal and if you're short of time you could run the Chesapeake to Deltaville in one go. All weather dependent but June should help. I have been from Toronto to top of Chesapeake in 11 days. Longest stretches about 120 miles each. Toronto to Oswego, Upper Nyack NY to Cape May. Not too enjoyable though.
I think the NY canal system closed Nov 15. At least that's what the web site says.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post

I think the NY canal system closed Nov 15. At least that's what the web site says.
Sorry just saw the June date.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07   #5

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hover2sail View Post
Hey Folks....want to pick your collective brains....how long to go from Cleveland, OH to Deltaville, VA with good weather? Just bought a boat and need to relocate it and I have a limited amount of time (30 days leave from Afghanistan). Plan on the month of June. No, I haven't done any real trip planning or research yet...just wanted to know if it was a realistic possibility. I really don't want it transported via truck, if possible. Thanks in advance.
Is the boat already in sailing condition? It will help tremendously if you can get someone to prep her for you before you get home. BTW, be safe over there brother. Been there myself back in 01-02.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

dont forget to add a day at each end of the NY canal system to drop the mast and then raise it again
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12   #7

KEVIN....yes, the boat will be ready to go. Is in excellent condition. Knock on teak, it should be splashed and ready. Thank you for your thoughts....can't wait to get out of here! LOL
hover2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27   #8

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hover2sail View Post
KEVIN....yes, the boat will be ready to go. Is in excellent condition. Knock on teak, it should be splashed and ready. Thank you for your thoughts....can't wait to get out of here! LOL
Lol. I know the feeling! My cousin has been there too. Just think, few more months and no more MREs!
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
dont forget to add a day at each end of the NY canal system to drop the mast and then raise it again

Can be done in a few ours if you've done it many times but agree. One trick is not to remove sails. Keep the genny on the foil (helps to protect it) and the main on the boom. Cuts down on storage space too.