Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 17:46   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Sailing/motoring from Oahu to Maui with broke rudder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Also, Tim I won’t say stay on Oahu and get fixed, it I’ve done what you’re proposing, so... it in hindsight. yeah I think I’ll say it... stay on Oahu and get fixed. You’re not asking about getting towed across Tampa Bay. The Hawaiian islands are ocean cruising. Don’t fool yourself that they aren’t because you can see them from each other. Be safe friend.
Keehi Marine Center reportedly has a 3 month wait list.

If you make the trip with a windvane, monitor is not the only one that can act as a stand-alone. Hydrovane does a fair job.

You are up against just one of the ways that Hawaii will trap you.
Old 27-08-2020, 17:56   #17

Boat: Spindrift 43

Keehi... man you’re bringing back crazy memories! Couldn’t agree more. This day and age, I feel like you cannot “wing it” in Hawaii anymore. Just another wrinkle the OP needs to grapple with.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 17:21   #18

Boat: Island Packet 35

Insurance policies have conditions that require you to take prudent action to mitigate further loss. They will deny a claim when something ensues once you leave Oahu.

As for the personal problem call Magnum PI. I hear he is available when not hawking reverse mortgages.
Flyrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 00:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Tim, your personal issues aside what you are planning is highly dangerous.

You will be going against prevailing winds, waves, current. You will also be crossing 2 channels that can be both unpredictable and treacherous at times. Maui Channel winds often exceed 20 knots. And you will be trying to do that in a compromised boat.

With a faulty rudder you will not be sailing even if you have a wind vane steering system as it will be damn near impossible to balance the boat under sail. Steering with a drogue works downwind...you'll be beating into the wind.

Towboat will typically take to to the nearest repair facility...exactly where you are currently (I suspect at Keehi).

If you were to get a tow from friends, you would likely not be making a rhumb line course. You will stay closer to the islands and in the wind shadow (hopefully), and probably making less than 5 knots.

It seems to me that you are risking your safety (and possibly others) and possibly your boat on personal grievances rather than prudence. Good luck.
Thank you for your post, Discovery. Much more informed advice - specifically for the proposed sailing area.

I hope he listens to you.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:14   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You can also steer by your sails in a pinch. (This is generally more of an emergency technique used in the event of losing one's rudder underway.)

Mainsail takes you up to the wind, headsail takes you off of the wind.

But like Michael Cobbe says, it won't get you on the dock...
LittleWing77

Make a passage that way with the rudder off center, as it is. Bet you can't tack, jibe, or even go straight. Yes, with the rudder straight balancing sails can maintain certain courses. It is part of sailing with a steering drogue or jury rudder. But not sailing a passage with an off center rudder.

That kind of advice can get people in trouble.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:37   #21

Yup. Which is why I highlighted Discovery's advice.

If you've noticed, Thinwater, people will mostly do what they were going to do anyway - regardless of what you or I or anyone on this Forum says...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, oahu, rudder, sail, sailing