Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 17:35   #151

Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

meh the handshake? they look like they are ready for the next adventure already.

to the CG for having to put their lives in risk for folks like this.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 17:37   #152

Yep, was intact, they could have made it in good weather.
Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 17:43   #153

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think just one prior experience with really crappy weather on board a boat might have swayed them from taking the risk of sailing into heavy seas.
They seem like nice folks. I wish they had decided to sail in good weather and not push it.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 17:45   #154

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

I am glad they are alive..kind of glad. But I must say they really tick me off. These bozos do a totally dumb thing and the USCG guys have to risk their lives to save them and we, the US tax payers, have to fund it.

It seems to me that anyone, sailor or not, with an IQ over 85 could see that this was a totally dumb thing to do. Plus we now have one more vessel afloat for the rest of us to crash into in the middle of the night.

But don't get me started...
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 17:56   #155

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I am glad they are alive..kind of glad. But I must say they really tick me off. These bozos do a totally dumb thing and the USCG guys have to risk their lives to save them and we, the US tax payers, have to fund it.

It seems to me that anyone, sailor or not, with an IQ over 85 could see that this was a totally dumb thing to do. Plus we now have one more vessel afloat for the rest of us to crash into in the middle of the night.

I am glad they are alive and well.

To be truthful, I do not begrudge the cost, as someday soon I will be in Australian waters and if I get in trouble I don't want them hesitating to come get my family and me. But we'd never do something this dumb.

What pisses me off is the sheer stupidity of it, and the black eye it gives the reputation of sailors in general. Enough of this lunacy and SOME politician (or some petition wielding busybody) is going to try and put training wheels on those of us that do sail responsibly.
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 18:08   #156

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
I am glad they are alive and well.

To be truthful, I do not begrudge the cost, as someday soon I will be in Australian waters and if I get in trouble I don't want them hesitating to come get my family and me. But we'd never do something this dumb.

What pisses me off is the sheer stupidity of it, and the black eye it gives the reputation of sailors in general. Enough of this lunacy and SOME politician (or some petition wielding busybody) is going to try and put training wheels on those of us that do sail responsibly.

It is not the cost in and of itself that ticks me off, it is that is was totally unnecessary and almost totally predictable. This to me had almost nothing to do with sailing and almost everything to do with stupidity, and as such a disregard for the risks that those saving them would have to take. The cost of the rescue just adds insult to injury for me.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 18:16   #157

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think they just looked at the weather in Sydney, NSW, instead of the weather in Sydney,NS.
That and confusing *F with *C....
Old 15-02-2015, 18:17   #158

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
It is not the cost in and of itself that ticks me off, it is that is was totally unnecessary and almost totally predictable. This to me had almost nothing to do with sailing and almost everything to do with stupidity, and as such a disregard for the risks that those saving them would have to take. The cost of the rescue just adds insult to injury for me.
True, this was utterly avoidable.

I sincerely hope that if the CG ever has to save my bacon other sailors aren't sitting back saying "WTF was that idiot thinking??"
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 19:33   #159

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
True, this was utterly avoidable.

I sincerely hope that if the CG ever has to save my bacon other sailors aren't sitting back saying "WTF was that idiot thinking??"
Yep. And you will find plenty here from the USA disagree that EPIRBS (nowdays a relatively low cost safety requirement) are mandated in Australia.

The rescue authorities even advertise the uptake with television advertising for land based cruisers getting lost. The time saved by Rescue authorities rather than searches justifies the costs many times over.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:22   #160

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:

Consider it payback for all the effort the Australians had to put out to rescue Abbey Sunderland for an equally dumb stunt.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:34   #161

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Sailing New England to Australia in February

I've sat by and kept my mouth shut for a lot of these rescue threads because arm chairing is a bad habit but these guys were and are absolute pin heads.

There is absolutely nothing in that weather forecast that would even slightly resemble a weather window. These guys should pay every last penny of the cost of their rescue. This is negligent at best. They put Coast Guardsmen's lives at risk. What a couple of asses. These guys are probably still laughing at what they thought was just crazy life experience. It wouldn't be that funny if home boy had killed his dad though would it?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-02-2015, 20:52   #162

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I am embarrassed as an Australian that these two went out in conditions that were forecast to be bad in a boat that is clearly not designed for cruising across the world. I thought we had more sense, obviously not.

Glad that they are safe.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 22:20   #163

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

From a different perspective try this.
I don't know the area they are in also no nothing about the weather other than what I read on this thread.But from that limited info seems pretty dumb to have a crack in those conditions considering boat ,personal experience of the crew etc as we know it.
But what I would find interesting to know if other boats where in the vicinity at the same time and if so how did they get on?
Chris
PS
You guys in the USA are so fortunate to have a CG facility with the resources they seem to have at their disposal no matter who pays for it.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 22:58   #164

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Consider it payback for all the effort the Australians had to put out to rescue Abbey Sunderland for an equally dumb stunt.
Don't start on Sunderland bashing. Not in this thread. It's not comparable in the least.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 23:01   #165

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
"She'll be right mate," seems like that philosophy doesn't always work out especially for intended Darwin Award recipients like these two first class fools.

Losing their boat and everything on it is the lightest of penalties they suffered while deserving oh so much more.

Dhillen
No one 'deserves' a disaster, yet alone 'deserves' to loose their lives, which is what you seem to be implying. That's really offensive. I hope your never in such a situation.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, England, new england, sail, sailing