Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2022, 15:19   #16

Boat: Islander 32
Re: Sailing the US Loop, should I use my Potter or buy a Nimble Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Doing a longish trip with 4 aboard a Potter???

Surely you jest...

Jim
I believe his first name is Tom, not Shirley.
Old 07-08-2022, 20:31   #17

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I like your ideas. I should have listened,maybe. For now I have two boats, A nimble Artic 26 and a Potter 19.
What are the expectations vs. outcomes? Would love to have an update.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 17:28   #18

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

I owned a Nimble Kodiak. Loved the boat real sorry I sold her, but ain’t no way I’d do the loop in it. And with 4 people? Best be really good friends. As someone who has done 1/2 of the loop, that is from where this comes from. We started from Superior, Wi on Lake Superior to Lakr Huron to Lake Michigan to Chicago then follow the loop. The rivers you won’t be able to sail most of the times as the winds will change often, or your direction will. After Mobile if winds are good, you could sail, but from Carrabelle to Clearwater you best have your ducks in a good row, as the gulf will not take pity on anything. The ICW in Fl. Same as rivers, not much sailing. We quit at Marathon,Fl. and sailed to the Bahamas in our boat. For all this we had a 30’ S-2 CC. The food and provisions you need to carry would be really hard on a Nimble. Not saying you can’t do it, but most everything has to be close to perfect. I wish you luck, your boat is my perfect river runner for the wife and I. Big water gets real rough and throws you around. I know. We crossed Long Island sound in New York and it was not good. Heavier and deeper boat will make your life much more gooder.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:31   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The great loop is a hoot and no easy task on a sailboat. You’ll sure be an expert on masting your boat. South of Chicago mast down.
The other bad news is the Kirkfield lift lock broke and no time line has been set to open it. Kirkfield is a long way into the Trent System and quite remote.
There is a marine railway lock 44 which your keel fits but down near Buckhorn stay in the middle of the channel don’t let new large power boats shove you aside it’s not 6 feet deep.
The other lift lock Peterborough is being inspected but it’s had several rebuilds.
When you come out of Lock 42 and the Severn River stop in to Orillia near the bottom to starboard on Lake Couchaching. Great little town on the trip. It’s about one day in from Georgian Bay 2 if you like fishing.
The Great Loop guys apparently are fantastic. Great advise. I know the Canadian side really well and Lake Michigan Lake Huron. Have a safe trip
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

I am deep in the research stage for my Great Loop trip (excited to see this thread!) As a sailor I've decided to go the powerboat route, both for ease and for overall space. The challenge, aside from the learning curve is the vast number of choices. Lots of opinions out there on the perfect loop boat.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing