Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 13:44   #31

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Sailing to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
WE made the crossing many times, always by sailing south as far as Miami area or the Keys to get a better bite on the Gulf Stream. In meeting people who made the jump from more northern spots I find that many were in such a hurry to make landfall, they never got beyond the northern Bahamas, thus missing some of the best cruising and a chance to meet the full range of Bahamian culture.
We cross from lake worth, and I am writing this from an anchorage at crooked island. There aren't many Bahamian islands farther south.
I realize you are saying "many" don't go farther south, and we are an exception to your statement. However I have noticed many cruisers who cross from northern areas would rather make miles south in the Bahamas rather than in the USA. For some of us, one city is pretty much the same as the next.
On the other hand, many people we meet who cross from Miami tend to jump marina to marina and never venture too for off the beaten path. I have no problem with that, it makes them happy and brings economy to the islands.
We however love to be more off-grid.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 15:24   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Most people leaving from WPB make for West End in the Abaco's, B'mas.
I find this requires too much southing to battle the Gulf Stream.

Far easier to cross just south of Memory Rock...
Exactly. Or cross to Memory Rock, then turn south to West End along the edge of the bank. I’ve been up and down that bank when tides are no good for Indian Rock, or when the health visa is running out and West End is closest etc.

The idea is to cross the Gulf Stream perpendicular instead of steering into it. If you’re slow and thus takes you all the way to White Sand Ridge then just enter the bank there and make your way to either Great Sale Cay or Mangrove Cay or just keep on going to Cooperstown for check-in next morning.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 16:09   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380

Nobody mentioned grand cay ? Little rough around the edges, but customs close, fuel and really good eating there. If u find yourself north and dont want to spend $50 a plate on dinner at obb.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, sail, sailing