Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 08:28   #196

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Re: Sailing upwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty calm sea there in that video. And they had a following sea there when they hit 13 knots. That does look like a really nice day of sailing, if not a bit cold. That's not the conditions folks are thinking of when they groan at the thought of upwind.
The location is in the sound up in Seattle. Which is why they're quickly freezing to death as we watch. If you watch carefully, you can see they're about ready to set the spare sails on fire just to stay warm.

It's true that they're in sheltered waters but like I said; why is it that the very first iteration of why someone doesn't sail upwind always seems to involve hurricane force winds and towering seas?
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:15   #197

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
The location is in the sound up in Seattle. Which is why they're quickly freezing to death as we watch. If you watch carefully, you can see they're about ready to set the spare sails on fire just to stay warm.

It's true that they're in sheltered waters but like I said; why is it that the very first iteration of why someone doesn't sail upwind always seems to involve hurricane force winds and towering seas?
It doesn't, though. The most common scenario (described by me a few posts ago) is when someone on board doesn't have the stomach for it. You find that out on the boat, and it can happen in any conditions. And then you decide: Do I take my wife/son/significant other/parent/best pal etc etc who really wanted to go but didn't like the bouncing around, out again?

And if you do, do you temper your ambitions while they're on board, waiting for the day you can go out with Rob_P again and have some real fun?

Or do you spend your time singlehandedly carving a 37' foot, seven ton thing with 900 sq feet of sai into that by yourself?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:44   #198

Quote:
why is it that the very first iteration of why someone doesn't sail upwind always seems to involve hurricane force winds and towering seas?
Have you ever wondered about the first paragraphs or chapters in books and films?

They don't work hard at doing the "quiet stuff" first, they "hit you" with the excitement to pique your interest, and only later go back to the "background" of the stories.

Another oft-repeated "true-ism" - you don't read a lot of material that's "and then we did...and then we did...and then we did...and then we did...and then we did...and then we did...and then we did...and then we did..."

Why? Because it's boring. The concept is that the author wants to get your attention. And keep it.

That's why.

I read a lot, and it's true of both fiction and non-fiction.

Good luck in your learning process.

You'll also find that the folks who are calm and cool and collected when the SHTF are the folks to trust, not the screamers.

I sail my boat pretty much the same when either racing or cruising. Good sail trim is important in both cases. I don't break stuff either racing or cruising. I disagree with thomm about this.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:48   #199

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Upwind sailing on a coupla nice quiet days.. sheltered waters with no ocean swell..
Great day for a play..

This is on a quiet sea sailing upwind in the ocean.. when the sea starts breaking it gets uncomfortable.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?v...JvtA2CcWgMpjuw
hmmm... is that really 30 to 40 knots?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:55   #200

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
One of the hardest things to do on a boat, I find, is to capture on photo or video the true quantity of white caps or heights of waves as they look when they're happening around you. I'd definitely say that 30 kts is present here just from comparing it with my videos of the same.

Pictured below: < 5 kts :-)
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 28-02-2021, 11:12   #201
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing upwind

Quote:
Don't ask me I didn't shoot the video.. I was just showing what sailing in an ocean swell without waves was like as opposed to pond sailing..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:12   #202

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I would think most race boats would have a higher level of maintenance than a cruiser.
It's not about the maintenance; it's about the hard use.

Over stressing the rig.

Sheeting to extremes.

Heavy usage involving the above.

Unknowledgeable crew overstressing stanchions and lifelines.

Lots of people on the boat.

Sometimes collisions........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:20   #203

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Thomm225, that is quite a damning generalization, and I don't think it is true. Maybe that was your experience while racing your beach cats but we don't have the attitude needed to accept that abusing a boat or "do anything to win" is OK, and not many of the racers I know do either (and I've known quite a few).

I can tell you that no-one races harder than we do, but we're also careful about what we're doing. We can't afford to break things, and you need to finish the race in order to win. Finally, please recall too that this is our home.

And a boat designed to be raced is not being abused simply by sailing in a race. Even sailing in strong winds is not bad for a boat which is designed for it. I think ocean cruising is harder on a boat than typical racing and I've done a lot of both.

Anyhow, my own boat has been raced and sailed in all conditions for 42 years (since it was launched) and still remains in very sound condition. Actually, putting a load on stuff often reveals weaknesses. It's better to find them in a controlled situation than in the middle of the night in an unexpected squall on an ocean cruise.

Any boat, racer of cruiser, must be closely inspected to determine if previous use has damaged or weakened it or caused equipment to become deteriorated.

So I don't think it is fair to state "You don't want a boat that's been raced hard."
Well, I don't but others might.

I'm going by what I saw while crewing on several monohulls.

And unfortunately, the guy that bought my last racing beach cat in 2006 or 2007 said it began having lots of problems. I told him that I was sorry to hear that, but I hadn't noticed any problems with it which was true.

The boat was a 2001, and I had replace the mainsail, spinnaker, and the rigging.

I had also broken the carbon fiber mast and replaced it with a new one. I did race this boat hard though about 10 months out of the year in both distance and buoy races, and I had a job I used on it (taking the mod hit) for distances races and praying the wind didn't get much over 14 knots because as a single hander it was way over powered and I didn't have a furler
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 14:41   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Or do you spend your time singlehandedly carving a 37' foot, seven ton thing with 900 sq feet of sai into that by yourself?

And you don't?
Old 28-02-2021, 16:19   #205

Quote:
And you don't?
40 nm? Upwind? 5-8-foot chop? Solo? Maybe.. Maybe, if I'm feeling spunky.

More-n that? nah

Bayside Betty's. Better yet: Whip up some scallops in the galley. Enjoy the Laphroaig 10-year cask-strength I learned about in the favorite drop thread. Play the guitar. Wait for the reach.
Old 28-02-2021, 16:32   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Is that the same Verde Island Passage as this one?

(sorry if this is a duplicate, I already posted it but I don't see it, What happened?)

If between Batangas (Luzon) and Mindoro Island, then yes, the very same. Almost always a tortuous upwind slog during the NE Monsoon but on that day the weather gods listened and we enjoyed the exquisite passage as described. We also won the race
alitaptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 16:52   #207

Quote:
And you don't?
But here's my bet:

>90% people on this forum, looking at this weather forecast, with no particular reason to hurry, given a choice between departing P-town (tip of Cape Cod) for Gloucester on either Tuesday or Wednesday, they go Wednesday.

I'm curious how wrong I am. (See attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 7.47.40 PM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	233565  
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11   #208

Quote:
But here's my bet:

>90% people on this forum, looking at this weather forecast, with no particular reason to hurry, given a choice between departing P-town (tip of Cape Cod) for Gloucester on either Tuesday or Wednesday, they go Wednesday.

I'm curious how wrong I am. (See attachment)
Picking a weather window is part of planning for the trip.

Like I said, I don't understand WHY the first thought in people's heads are that upwind is always in hurricane or cyclone conditions with monsterous waves.

I watched a very refreshing video yesterday about a couple sailing a J46 around the world without going through the canals. They did a multi-day upwind sail from USVI to Grenada in the video making the passage between 2 Atlantic storms headed their way. No one was sick. No one went overboard. Nothing below was tossed out of the closets. They didn't lose the dingy or the outboard, and the dog ate from it's bowl while the boat was heeling and making way into the wind.

I note for the record that the boat wasn't dismasted either. Nor did the hull fail while they were averaging between 8 and 11 knots the entire distance and at one point they had 3 reefs in and were still making hull speed.

Using the above weather forecast, they would have left on whatever day was required to make the passage safely.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:44   #209

Quote:

Like I said, I don't understand WHY the first thought in people's heads are that upwind is always in hurricane or cyclone conditions with monsterous waves.
If you think a head sea with 5-8-foot wind waves is monstrous, I think you need to sail upwind in them for 8 straight hours and get back to us. They aren't monstrous; they just make you uncomfortable after a while, and will beat you up after hours on end. It's the constant slamming, you see.

If you have done it, and enjoyed it, all power to you. You're the man. I am an unabashed milquetoast gunkholer.

If you haven't, imagine riding nonstop for eight hours on a bumpy dirt road in a jeep with no shocks. I've done that too, and the sensation in Hour Number 6 is about the same.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:15   #210

Quote:
If you think a head sea with 5-8-foot wind waves is monstrous, I think you need to sail upwind in them for 8 straight hours and get back to us. They aren't monstrous; they just make you uncomfortable after a while, and will beat you up after hours on end. It's the constant slamming, you see.

If you have done it, and enjoyed it, all power to you. You're the man. I am an unabashed milquetoast gunkholer.

If you haven't, imagine riding nonstop for eight hours on a bumpy dirt road in a jeep with no shocks. I've done that too, and the sensation in Hour Number 6 is about the same.
Seeing as I've been quite open about my newbieness your attitude is quite off putting. Not to mention all the movement going on with the goalposts you keep putting out.

My question was why people complain about sailing upwind. Your response is "because you don't like it."

Fair enough as it pertains to you.

As for the rest of the responses, thank you. It's been enlightening in more ways than one.

Tags
sail, sailing, wind