Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46   #1

Sailing with small daughter and diving

Hello

I am brand new to this forum.
I could do with some advice on a few things.

Here is some background about me. I have been a scuba diver for 20 years and sailor for about 10 years. Done too many dives to mention. Only done sailing around the coasts of UK, have been about 100 miles off shore. Been in too many very rough seas over hte years to be worried about that.

Have been invited to join my friend who is sailing the world. My 4 year old daughter and I plan to join him when my divorce and house sale complete.

We will be joining him in Australia most likely then on to South East Asia etc.

Here are my questions

What are the absolute bare minimum things I will need to take with me for a trip of 6 months at least?

I expect to buy most clothes when I get there.

Should I take my UK dive kit or buy some in Australia?

I do appreciate that I would be better buying cylinders and tanks there but what about my wing and regs? (I have been using twin sets for a long time and not keen to go back to any single cylinders)

Can I get a small oil-less generated to fill my tanks or would it be better to just fill up when I can?

My daughter has experienced sailing with me since she was 2 so I have few concerns about her. I am a science teacher and can home educate her.

Thank you for any advice or experience you can share with me.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Sailing with small daughter and diving

In warm waters you don't need the capacity of a twinset. better off with a large capacity steel single.

Take your reg and BC an tank get tank on way.

Check prices here to help make your decision.

Scuba Diving Gear Online Megastore | Adreno Scuba Diving Centre
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58   #3

Boat: 27ft sloop long keel

WOW.sounds very interesting. sorry I don't do diving so can't help you with that. but the sailing sounds good. should get a good response though. good luck!
circumnavbute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:01   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Welcome, and have a lot of fun.

Quote:
My 4 year old daughter and I plan to join him when my divorce and house sale complete.
From experience, make sure you have notarized documentation from your divorced spouse that your child is allowed to travel with you. Sailing in and out of various countries requires interaction with many authorities and single parents with small children can have problems. Better to have something up front than to have to fight about it after the fact.

I would take the reg/mask/fins and other small items that are fit specific. Wouldn't bother with the larger stuff, but YMMV. Check with the skipper over how much room is available and what may already be aboard.

Filling tanks aboard is more difficult. What size boat, what kind of power is available? We have had a small petrol-powered compressor aboard for many years, but it requires both petrol and about 30 minutes to fill a single cylinder, so is not very popular (loud, and if you are filling for 2-3 people it takes longer to fill than the dive you get from it). And it takes a fair amount of room for storage
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:21   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hello trusloegunn… welcome to CF!
Re your questions:
What are the absolute bare minimum things I will need to take with me for a trip of 6 months at least?
I think your boat owner friend will give you the best guidance as to what he has space for, but focus on whatever ‘comfort items’ your young daughter would like.

I expect to buy most clothes when I get there. Yes.. light weight tropical cottons… cheaper in Asia

Should I take my UK dive kit or buy some in Australia?
I do appreciate that I would be better buying cylinders and tanks there but what about my wing and regs? (I have been using twin sets for a long time and not keen to go back to any single cylinders
) ….I have been diving even longer and worked many years as an instructor… Follow Downunder’s advice and enjoy the freedom of light weight gear and good visibility although I prefer Alloy Tanks because they don’t rust in a constant salt water environment, with little rinse water available

Can I get a small oil-less generated to fill my tanks or would it be better to just fill up when I can? That is really the captain’s decision

My daughter has experienced sailing with me since she was 2 so I have few concerns about her. I am a science teacher and can home educate her.
Great… best general advice I can give is to relax, arrive light and follow owner/captain’s guidance on what you should bring onboard and what the cruise priorities are…. That attitude by guests.. makes for the best shipmates!

Have a great time!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 00:13   #6

Thank you for the wonderful advice.

I will take a look at the website you sugggested and get alloy tanks when I get there.

Tags
diving, sailing