Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 14:27   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Sailing without engine - Suva-->Nadi (Fiji)

Does it have a generator? Radios? EPIRB, AIS? Good batteries and dewatering?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 14:37   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

I've raced at least five 100 mile races on engineless but very fast beach cats capable of speeds of 25 knots but it all depends on the wind.

It's that simple.

I have completed that race in 12 hours with a sloop rigged Nacra 6.0 in 1997 and 20 kours on the same boat in 2002.

I completed it single handed on a Nacra F-17 with a spinnaker in 2003 and it still took 14 hours

It's all about the wind when you sail engneless.....which I did for 15 years
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 15:02   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Beach cats and cruising ketches are very different things when sailing around tropical reefs. Where you can sail a beach cat is largely irrelevant to the subject at hand.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 15:08   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Met a yank in Denerau that had sailed from California without an engine. He'd sailed all over Fiji and then sailed down to New Zealand and then across to Oz.

Would that have been our boat_alexandra by any chance
Old 01-09-2019, 15:29   #20

Boat: Volkscruiser

Grantmc learning patience sums it up very well. Who knows how long this trip could take?
One thing I have learned after talking to engineless cruisers is they possess a patience I do not have.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 15:37   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I wouldn't stress this trip. The sailing part should be easy. This is usually trade wind sailing (usually). If you're satisfied with the captain's competency and the safety measures and equipment, then go.

Even in a ketch which is not close winded this should be doable.

Exiting Suva Yacht Cup and heading for Levu Passage you will probably be able to fetch it on port tack. Then perhaps a few tacks to get out of Levu Passage but its only 3/4 of a mile then you are off on a reach again to round the southern part of the island.

Just play it conservative exiting Levu Passage, Fiji is famous for reefs. On this trip this is the only place where you will be in close quarters with reefs.

Maybe without an engine I'd go around Mbengga.

Downwind or reach on stbd to Navula Passage.

Once into Momi Bay it could go light. Don't be afraid to anchor, anywhere, if there isn't wind. This side of Fiji is sheltered, dry and calm.

If you don't have anything sorted out for entering port you could proceed to Lautoka and anchor there until you have a means to get into your harbor. That is very close to Vuda Point.

Have an adventurous sail, but don't go with a schedule.
Old 01-09-2019, 15:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Beach cats and cruising ketches are very different things when sailing around tropical reefs. Where you can sail a beach cat is largely irrelevant to the subject at hand.
Good try but sailing offshore on a racing beach cat or cruising sailboat is pretty much the same when there is no wind except that on a 17' - 20' beach cat its a bit harder since you have no head, no berth to sleep in, very little food, no radio, no instruments at all, no lights except a flashlight, no power, no anchor, and no protection from the elements.

If you had any experience on small boats back in the day, you would know this.

It could be that you came to sailing/boating late in life and have always had an engine to depend on plus a radio, cell phone or Epirb so you could call for help at the slightest little problem and get towed in or rescued, etc

You didn't have this back in the day on small boats so it's okay that you have very little experience and really do not understand how it was totally up to the sailor to take care of himself

Be sure and tell your friends when you sail offshore a couple miles also just in case
Old 01-09-2019, 22:10   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It could be that you came to sailing/boating late in life and have always had an engine to depend on plus a radio, cell phone or Epirb so you could call for help at the slightest little problem and get towed in or rescued, etc

You didn't have this back in the day on small boats so it's okay that you have very little experience and really do not understand how it was totally up to the sailor to take care of himself

Just FYI,
I cut my teeth sailing Fireflys and Albacores nearly 60 years ago around the Solent
Old 02-09-2019, 00:06   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Equating the performance of a racing beach cat and a cruising ketch of unknown provenance is really silly, Thom. This ain't apples and oranges, it's Greyhounds and Percherons. or sumpin' close.

We don't know what sails the ketch has, or how old and decrepit they are. We don't know if it is a full, cutaway or fin keel. We don't know how dirty her bottom might be. And most importantly, we don't know if the skipper has ever tried sailing her in close quarters or to windward in a narrow pass, or what his general skill level might be. Every year there are yachts lost on the reefs in Fiji, and nearly all of them have had engines to help out in tight spots

We are all pretty familiar with your past racing history, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's dilemma. I hope that he hasn't taken false encouragement from your posts.

On the other hand, Ann and I have made that short passage a few times in the past. Honestly, I don't remember needing to use the engine except to enter the anchorages at the Western end of the trip, and likely we could have done it without had we needed to. But that was in a retired IOR one ton race boat, and she was pretty weatherly... something the OP's ride may not be.

Lacking all the above mentioned knowledge, I wouldn't care to offer the OP advice. I hope that he can garner the necessary info before he must decide on going or staying. In his place, I'd not be depending on faceless internet advisers!

Jim
Old 02-09-2019, 03:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Equating the performance of a racing beach cat and a cruising ketch of unknown provenance is really silly, Thom. This ain't apples and oranges, it's Greyhounds and Percherons. or sumpin' close.

We don't know what sails the ketch has, or how old and decrepit they are. We don't know if it is a full, cutaway or fin keel. We don't know how dirty her bottom might be. And most importantly, we don't know if the skipper has ever tried sailing her in close quarters or to windward in a narrow pass, or what his general skill level might be. Every year there are yachts lost on the reefs in Fiji, and nearly all of them have had engines to help out in tight spots

We are all pretty familiar with your past racing history, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's dilemma. I hope that he hasn't taken false encouragement from your posts.

On the other hand, Ann and I have made that short passage a few times in the past. Honestly, I don't remember needing to use the engine except to enter the anchorages at the Western end of the trip, and likely we could have done it without had we needed to. But that was in a retired IOR one ton race boat, and she was pretty weatherly... something the OP's ride may not be.

Lacking all the above mentioned knowledge, I wouldn't care to offer the OP advice. I hope that he can garner the necessary info before he must decide on going or staying. In his place, I'd not be depending on faceless internet advisers!

Jim

Nice Jim, but performance isn't the issue.

It's the wind when you don't have an engine which was my main point because if you do not have any wind you won't be moving very far very fast

Also, the OP seems to be just crewing so he's depending on the skipper etc to know what he's doing which may be a problem from the start (or may not depending)

You can never make a concrete plan in most places unless there is wind in the forecast so saying it will take this many hours is a total guess without a good forecast at least (sometimes even then the forecast could be off)

And yes, 15 years sailing (or racing sailboats) without an engine on most any type sailboat does teach you this which is how I learned it. Sometimes you have long periods of drifting during the day or night. At night though with barge traffic along the ICW is the worst though

There were even days during several of the Worrell 1000 races where the boats drifted much of the day in the North Carolina area.

The Worrell 1000 a 1000 mile race for beach cats from lower Florida to Virginia Beach. One of the hardest parts is just getting off the Beach if the wind and waves are up. Then getting back to shore at the end of the day can be just as tough.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:24   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You can never make a concrete plan in most places unless there is wind in the forecast so saying it will take this many hours is a total guess without a good forecast at least (sometimes even then the forecast could be off)

Apparently you've never sailed in a tropical area where the trades are prevalent. You can have a very good idea of how long such a trip is likely to take.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FijiWinds.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	199039  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:25   #27

Boat: Adams 13

Its been a while since I logged in, but I couldn't resist, this.

A rule. I like, is this, you have 3 forms of propulsion on a yacht.
Mainsail, Headsail and Iron lung.
When one of them fails, head for port and don't leave again till all 3 are working!
I Guarantee you will live longer.

Notwithstanding my zero knowledge of Fiji, there are apparently reefs around....

Imagine you left port anticipating a certain weather pattern, you had dutifully watched for days and it all seemed good! then what do you know! It was dead calm and the tide and swell just knock you on to the reef, or worse still a Lee shore does it. Weather forecasts are known to be totally wrong!

Despite the hero's saying I have done it blah , blah (and I am sure they have). For every one of them saying it, there is a shipwreck or worse story to be told.

What is wrong with the engine that it cant be fixed where the boat is?

Sailing in these conditions is usually only done when there is absolutely no other choice.

If it is not repairable, in current location and the Captain is a sensible man with an adequate plan and liferaft and communication on board then help the bloke or Gal out.
But I, if I had the time would offer my assistance repairing the donk, if at all possible, then go for a sail.

All the best!
madyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:14   #28

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

Back in the day me, my brother and a friend saild his 30' kings crusier from Tampa bay to Key West, and Dry totrugas then back home again over summer vacation,2 months of sailing and navigating with no more than an RDF, charts and plotting tools, compass, sounding lead and radio. I was 15 years old my brother and his friend were both 17 years old. Motor never did run in that boat and had been removed. We did have a tender and small outboard motor to get to shore for supplys, help passing through draw bridges and docking however my brothers sailing skills were so good we rarely used it for docking and sailed her in to berths. That was back in about 1970, Times were different before we got spoiled with electronics and push button do dads but the sea is still the same. Sailboats are powered by sail and have been sailing the globe for many more centurys without motors than they have with one. Having a motor in one is a 20th century luxury. You may need some assistance getting her in and out to sailable waters other than that she should go fine with no motor. That is what a sailboat is built to do. I would sugest to check the rigging and sails before leaving and be sure she is structurally ready to sail. Think Positive and enjoy the cruise rather than fear it. Negative thinking breeds negetave results.
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:30   #29

Don't forget about electricity (solar) for your fridge and instruments. Warm beer can spoil the whole trip...
Old 02-09-2019, 06:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Apparently you've never sailed in a tropical area where the trades are prevalent. You can have a very good idea of how long such a trip is likely to take.
Yeah I knew that but I checked the wind in those areas before I posted and it was a bit light when I checked plus rain.....

and today looks like 10 knots plus downwind......

https://www.windy.com/-18.133/178.42...02,9,m:c8Vak6x

Tags
engine, Fiji, sail, sailing