Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2020, 12:31   #16

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Sailrite on a 26' Cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I did look at alternatives a few years ago Bill. Barracuda comes to mind. Or this one called Sewstrong Which one do you have?

My problem is, I used to be a part owner in a Sailrite, and I got quite spoiled using it. I'm a terrible sewer, but I was able to use this machine quite easily. I fear a lesser machine might be harder to use.
Many moons ago I had a mid-50s Singer that could sew thru several layers of canvas. Used it for 2 boats worth of projects and then sold it for what I paid for it. While it did the job, will say our more powerful walking foot is hands down better.

Ours is a Consew (~15 yrs old), but the same guts can be found w/the Reliable (Barracuda), Rex and others. While SR will emphatically deny they are the same, based on our research they are the same guts (and internal parts we purchased thru SR to fix ours). With that said, SR does do a great job doing QA, now modifying the machines to make them "their own" and painting them.

Want to say our Consew was $300 when purchased. Since then, we've done add ons like the monster wheel from SR and it does improve the machine. Other things like binder attachments can be found on the internet for cheaper.

We shop around, but still purchase some supplies/equipment from SR. All this takes time and for convenience one could just buy from SR.

When ever this machine dies, we'll probably purchase another clone and swap out the upgrades. We do all our own work on our boat and if you have room, the sewing machine is a good investment.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 12:57   #17

Pfaff 130 or 138. Max about $250 if in very good shape. The 130 may be found in a case, but the 138 is more industrial. That said you could make a 138 portable. Excellent machines that will sew silk to sails, and there are many in shops.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 14:01   #18

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

No regrets, but I keep the "Rex" brand knockoff I use on land. The issue I see is not so much allocating space for storing the machine, as having sufficient space to arrange the sail properly when sewing. That said, there's no real effective substitute for sail repairs other than a machine of this type.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 18:14   #19

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I’ve got the LZ, I use it all the time, mostly repairs now, but I have built the sail cover, dodger, Bimini, and cushions for my 44i. 26 ft man that’s giving up taking something to take that....AND you can only use it dockside unless your running a generator
At 26 the motor is almost the same size, I have an emergency repair kit that I have augmented over the years extra hardwear, plyers, needles, strong and tiny drill bits, Kevlar thread. Battery rope cutter/hot knife.

Put a kit together, roll with that.
Give your salirite to someone who can mail it to you if need be
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 18:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I did look at alternatives a few years ago Bill. Barracuda comes to mind. Or this one called Sewstrong Which one do you have?

My problem is, I used to be a part owner in a Sailrite, and I got quite spoiled using it. I'm a terrible sewer, but I was able to use this machine quite easily. I fear a lesser machine might be harder to use.
From what I can see, the Barracuda seems just as good as the Sailrite.

They don't seem to be "just a clone", as Reliable have also been selling sewing machines since the 60's.

Review: https://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2018/...sailrite-lsz1/

I'm glad I've got more than 26' of stowage, though.
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 20:12   #21

Boat: Norseman 400

For those recommending removing the base/case, then you'll need to store it inside something as air/watertight as possible. The internal parts will rust in salt air, even if oiled after each use. I wrap the machine in one of those huge ziplock bags (blanket size) and keep it inside the case. Six years so far, no rust and still runs flawlessly.

You can use it without power if you have the monster hand wheel. I helped a fellow cruiser repair his jib sail at anchor - all while hand cranking the machine on the cabin top. We took turns. lol

I am amazed how much use my LZ-1 actually gets. It gets pulled off the drawer bank top in the v-berth (where if rides just fine) every month or so. From clothing to canvas to curtains, it does it all. I'd hate to be without it.

And sorry, I don't and will never lend it out. It's too valuable a tool to have someone (that doesn't understand how to use it) mess up the timing or break something. And most people not only want to borrow the machine, but need thread and needles too, of which I have a limited supply.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 21:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
...you can only use it dockside unless your running a generator

At 75watts, a small inverter on a relatively modest solar array and battery bank can handle this easily...
Old 13-12-2020, 23:41   #23

Boat: Alajuela 33

I queried Sailrite on running the LZ1 on an inverter.....
They said 300w minimum and didn’t matter if it was pure sine or modified wave.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 04:17   #24

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Yes, yes, there are work around s to the power source, hand cranking even with the stock wheel is 100% a viable option off shore. (Really is amazing what you can do out there, the work around s)

Please forgive my insolence ��, I have been salty about the price on the Mega Wheel, I feel like at over a Grand for a sewing machine it should come with:

a light
A magnet guide
A wheel /hand crank knob.

Not as extras.....and good luck waiting for a Sale. (I hope their reading)
Yes still taking it off shore I have the room, even hand cranking with the stock wheel is better than my hand sewing.

����
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 06:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
I queried Sailrite on running the LZ1 on an inverter.....
They said 300w minimum and didn’t matter if it was pure sine or modified wave.

Actual output is 150 (not 75; that's the input) 300 for overhead. A $39 400W inverter will handle it with no issues. I'd go for the 800W for $59. A very modest battery bank will handle this for a long while. I'm not a fan of hand cranking, although I've done it in a pinch. For such a very modest investment, I'd power it up and save many hours of effort.
Old 14-12-2020, 06:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We have one and love it. It's extremely handy.
That said we are on a catamaran and have room for it. A 26 foot is pretty short on space. It will be tough to find a place to stow it and a place to use it.
I also gotta ask... if you are that tall, how comfortable are you on a 26 foot?
Yeah, I could fit it in one of the quarter berths but then, it would make having guests difficult. Might have to suck it up and just find a better tailor and get the sailmaker to do the sail covers.

Comfort? On a boat? Well, I can sit up straight in a few spots down below and I can fit in the quarter berths easily, so that's nice. I can't even stand up on most ships except in especially roomy areas so it's just the joy of being giraffey 😆
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 06:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I love mine - we bought it decades ago and it's earned its keep making sails and cushions and everything else.

And yes, I'm ashamed to admit that even on this big boat, I have problems storing it. The problem is that all my storage spaces are either too small to accept it, or they're round which obviously isn't going to work. Right now it's at the foot of the bed and it's a toe cruncher at night.

If I had a boat your size, I'd take the handle off the case and put a small table top on it. Make it serve another purpose. I also like the idea of separating the machine from the base, I never thought of that.

Ask yourself how often you really are going to use it, we use ours about 4-6 times a year. Good luck!
Yeah, that's a good point. After I get the sail covers and settee cushions done and make a handful of shirts, I won't have space for more clothing etc. Tbh, the sailrite kits for projects like mainsail covers aren't even a good deal. With the cost of the machine factored in it's at least as much as having a professional do it🤔
Old 14-12-2020, 06:36   #28

Okay, well, thank you for saving me from another ill-advised purchase. Think I'll just forget it.
Old 14-12-2020, 06:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
...With the cost of the machine factored in it's at least as much as having a professional do it🤔

Providing that there's a professional in your locale. Hereabouts, there are two kinds of tasks related to most things sailboat: those you do yourself, and those that don't get done. If you're out in the wild yonder, I'd imagine the same axiom applies...
Old 16-12-2020, 12:30   #30

Well...i may just yet get a cheaper machine. Still 5 months from getting to the boat.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail, sailrite