Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 06:35   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Sale and trade in the South Pacific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
This is a re-post from the thread, "What To Buy In America?" I am posting it here, too because I think Mark J has some good points.

"Lots of folks recommend buying from the US/UK/Aus kids toys, sports kit, clothes, schoolbooks, fish hooks, bullets etc to give as largess to black people in remote places.

"Yes its well meaning but really screws up the local people and can even get you slotted in jail!

"You have cut out the business that normally provides these things. You have given stuff for free where no charity is needed or asked for.
Yes there are places that want and need your assistance but ruining the business of the only store on the island is not the way to do it.

"An entrepreneur brings in fish hooks at his expense to sell to local fishermen at a meager profit... and some rich fat cruiser floats in and gives $10 of hooks for $2 of fish.

"Instead of raping the only local with the fortitude to trade its much better to buy fish hooks from him and then give them away if you want.

"Same with school exercise book: buy them locally and you support the school and the island.

"As for bullets as someone suggested. That's just lunacy. Indonesia its instant jail (Aussie who was jailed there for 12 shotgun shells). I never saw a gun in the marquesas and don't k.ow what they would use them for there anyway. And why would they need .22LR?

"The Marquesas are French islands fully stocked with normal French Police with normal French handcuffs. Its not some tin-pot banana republic! Run ammunition in there? Someone must be crackers!

"Leave nothing but footprints" is cultural as well: destroying businesses; turning honest locals into hand-out mentality beggers, and teaching black children that white people really are cargo cult rich is wrong.

"In fact if you REALLY want to help communities you pass through just buy everything from them. Provision from local businesses. Give them incentive and profit instead of buying everything from your home country because you save a few measly cents.

"This thread 'What to get in America' should be answered with "Nothing! Buy everything Down Island!"

Mark''

I think everything Mark wrote is correct for the Carribbean.

Where Mark's argument breaks down for me is that the Polynesian and Melanesian cultures are great gift givers, and one is expected to reciprocate. [They treat us like visiting chiefs, who are expected to behave with great generosity.] Some of these places really don't have anywhere convenient for the subsistence farmers to shop. [The Copra boat may not have come all year, when you arrive there.] And if one wants to be culturally sensitive, one must have SOME thing to give that fits with their needs.

Jim and I have belonged to the SSCA for over 25 years now, twenty-five plus years of trying to leave a "clean wake". Somehow, this clean wake means respecting local rules and customs, even when inconvenient, and sometimes, it's tricky, partly because it means not giving too much, that raises expectations and the wake left is harder for successive cruisers. One does the best one can. Somewhere, there must be a balance. Imho it is wrong to go into these places with an entrepreneurial attitude....

Ann
Ann,

I saw Jims comments on this on the other thread. Wonderful clarification from you both on Marks comments. Thank you!
Old 17-03-2017, 10:04   #32

Even though I will not go back with ammunition , Mark questioning why in the world would they need it makes me think he went to a different Marquesas than I did. I spent more than 3 months in the Marquesas in the late 70s, and ammunition was prized by the locals so that they could eat fresh meat. There were no freezers away from the government centers and the supply boats were always unreliable . A friend took a bunch of locals out fishing on his 40 foot boat and everyone had a great time. It didnt put anyone out of business. He had a couple of box,s of 22s and the men asked if he would sail them over to one of the uninhabited Islands for a hunt. They came back the next day with enough meat that the whole village and the next one over had a feast. No business lost money over that. Local people in any less than developed area will obtain food in whatever manner that they can. To think that the modern NOBLE SAVAGE should go out and hunt his meat with a spear because his ancesters did it that way is rather obsurd. The French will always keep firearms out of the hands of a conquered people. All governments work that way (just ask our American Indians). They are scared to death of a revolt . Even though I dont think we should interfere with local business, I feel that they have done huge amounts of harm to the locals by importing sugar loaded crap food, and non degradable packaging that will pollute the islands forever. The Marquesan girls looked forward to turning 16 so that they could take the copra boat to Tahiti and get their false teeth. They had a local term for the trip since it was almost a coming of age event for them. This was mainly caused by sugary imports that the local profit motivated business,s import. I have read enough posts in the last few years to think that other than the government centers, much is the same in the Islands. No I dont recommend taking ammunition simply because of the laws. I will be taking many pairs of dollar store reading glasses and something that has (I dont think) been mentioned is bottles of Aspirin. Out island clinics were very poorly supplied and welcomed simple things like Aspirin or bandages. Enough for now. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 10:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectorsteve View Post
Gidday. I dunno if youve read steve and linda dashews " cruising encyclopeadia" but in the many years they spent around the world and in particular the south pacific they mention some real gems in regards to trading.
One thing they did mention is that some islands may be volcanic with no fruit, thus live on fish and others are abundant with fruit so the trades between fruit and fish are a good one and theyre all in the islands.
Maybe would go well some inexpensive jewelry with semi-precious stones or CZ (rings, bracelets,etc), gold-plated or gold-filled, you can get them very cheap from whole-sale online China stores. I think the women on the islands like everything shiny
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale, south pacific, trade