Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 20:09   #1

Salish Sea destinations?

I've got a 1967 Santana 22 with a 70s-ish 6hp OB, but both in great shape. My wife and I are mainly lake sailors, but we've taken 3 trips to the San Juan Islands of 3-4 weeks each, and are looking to expand our range. We'll have about 2 months available next summer, and are studying our options. Any ideas? Start in Olympia and go north for a month (how far?), then return? Launch in Anacortes like we usually do and just get to know the Gulf Islands really well? Racking up miles is less important at this stage than enjoying the scenery and getting off the boat to hike around whenever possible. Any specific places? Hate to say it, but I sleep much better tied to a dock than swinging at anchor. I'm also very financially 'challenged', so skip the art galleries and wine and cheese. Ramen and PB&J burritos are staples on our boat!
santanaman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 21:02   #2

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Salish Sea destinations?

I’ve chartered a few times in the San Juans. They are without doubt my top 2 or 3 US cruising grounds- and we’ve done the east coast “top to bottom” twice.
Their beauty is only equaled by their proximity to a major population center (Sea-Tac) full of extremely highly-compensated folks in aerospace (Boeing et al) and hi-tech. Meaning it ain’t cheap. If you’re eschewing the wine and cheese bars and art galleries- well, dockage is just as prohibitive.
I get it about the sleeping thing- took me a few years before I could say I got a good nights sleep on board. And a Santana 22 will certainly be responsive to just about every ripple on the water. But by docking all the time, you exclude the incredible anchorages that abound.
But it’s been done- after all the Pardey’s Seraffyn was just 2 feet longer, (though it was heavier).
Victoria and environs are as charming and lovely place as you’ll find- just be all eyes, because the heavy traffic thru Juan de Fuca and Haro Straight is world-class. The variety of sites and anchorages in the Sound, the San Juans, Olympic Peninsula, the Bellingham area, Sucia- I could go on and on. I think you could spend a cruising career there and never feel you’ve seen it all.
Mickeyrouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination