Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 13:20   #31

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: Salt water pump in galley sink?

You are right, but it seems nobody is planning to upsize their thru-hull they only want to add a T to what they already have. Typically the engine thru-hull is sized for the engine alone.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 14:00   #32

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Neill View Post
Are they common? Are they worth having?

...Albin Vega... I assume I will want to replace it...freshwater tank holds only 18 gallons.
Hi Gene, our first yacht was a Vega and it was the first we'd been on with a seawater pump/tap, we loved it and when we replaced the Vega, the very first upgrade to our new boat was to fit a seawater tap.

Regarding the tankage on the Vega, I'm presuming you just have the tank under the V-berth? You're doing well, the most I got in ours was 16 gallons. However, when we went long-term cruising in the Vega I built timber and plywood platforms at the very front of each cockpit locker and installed two additional 13 gallon tanks, I guess they were about 22" x 14" x 12". Nothing fancy, they we just off the shelf PVC tanks and didn't noticeably impinge on access/space in the cockpit lockers. These two I connected just to the galley whilst the v-berth tank was connected just to the heads basin, so we'd more capacity, plus two independent storage/supply systems in case of contamination.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 14:49   #33

Boat: Adams 42

An additional suggestion to your system is to add a couple of, simple, in line 12 volt pumps to the supply lines with knee operated micro switches.
They work a treat with the ability to have fresh or salt water continuously flowing with both hands free.
Keeping the pumps below the natural water levels stops air locks. An in line non return valve also helps in maintaining an instant response.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:01   #34

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
An additional suggestion to your system is to add a couple of, simple, in line 12 volt pumps to the supply lines with knee operated micro switches.
They work a treat with the ability to have fresh or salt water continuously flowing with both hands free.
Keeping the pumps below the natural water levels stops air locks. An in line non return valve also helps in maintaining an instant response.
Cheers
That doesn't sound very frugal Frugal.
Old 05-11-2018, 15:23   #35

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
Placing a T off your engine intake is a bad idea. If you do it make sure it has a valve and it is closed while you are running the engine...Ever suck through a straw with a hole in it? Same principle.
Whilst I wouldn't question that Groco probably know a lot more about the subject than I, we've done just that as we wanted a saltwater foot-pump tap at the galley, but didn't want another through hull if we could avoid it:

The engine's a Yanmar 3GM30F with a 3/4" through-hull/seacock/internal hose. We fitted a 1/2" tee immediately after the existing seacock feeding a Whale galley footpump; the galley water-hose does have a valve on it, but it's never closed, but if a failure in the galley supply ever effects the engine it can be closed off.
As you suggest I too was concerned about a potential restriction or reduction in the engine's cooling water supply, so before getting too carried away I undertook a test/experiment: We ran the engine and collected the water ejected from the exhaust outlet, initially with the standard set-up, secondly with the tee/galley foot-pump connected but idle and finally with the galley pump connected and being pumped/used constantly throughout. Each run was for two minutes and the result was that we found no measurable difference between the amounts of water collected during each run; getting the same throughflow whilst actually using the galley pump even surprised me!

I'm not saying what we've done is correct, nor that it will work for every engine installation- try the same test/experiment we ran - but our pump was fitted in November 2011 and other than one set of new pump seals and diaphragms it has worked satisfactorily for 7 years, almost 2000 engine hours and about 28,000 sea miles.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:26   #36

Boat: Adams 42

Hi Keel Me.
Two pumps AU$19.90
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultra-Qu...mdWG:rk:9:pf:0.

Ten micro switches AU$6.49
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10Pcs-V-...RQ7d:rk:8:pf:0.

Two by 10mm check valves Au$2.70.

Under AU$30 for all the hardware delivered and you have 8 spare micro switches to play with.
Perhaps you were thinking of the constant pressure deck wash pumps at around $100 apiece?
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:38   #37

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Hi Frugal.

No, my assumption as to what you purchased was in fact correct.
Old 05-11-2018, 19:01   #38

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I installed a raw water wash-down system and ran a line to the galley sink. We have been happy to have it. I usually wash dishes with sea water and then wash again with fresh. Or rinse with fresh. We carry about 110 gallons of fresh water and still find the sea water very useful.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:43   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The biggest drawback I have found with using seawater at the sink is corrosion. Stainless sinks and strainers can become pitted and rusted from the salt.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
The biggest drawback I have found with using seawater at the sink is corrosion. Stainless sinks and strainers can become pitted and rusted from the salt.
True. You can sure start to see the quality stainless from the crap stainless.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:02   #41

I had one on one or two boats. It seemed useful at the time, but that was before watermakers. I often wondered if I save much fresh water though, you need to rinse the salt water off just like you need to rinse the detergent off. So there may be a small savings but minimal I think.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16   #42

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I had one on one or two boats. It seemed useful at the time, but that was before watermakers. I often wondered if I save much fresh water though, you need to rinse the salt water off just like you need to rinse the detergent off. So there may be a small savings but minimal I think.
I have a flow meter on my fresh water tank, so I can tell pretty precisely how much water we use.

When we’re using salt water to do the primary wash, and for other general utility needs, we average 2 gallons/day (that’s 1 gallon per person) fresh water usage.

When not able to use salt water we average 3.6 gallons/day.

So for us, it is significant.

BTW, I would love to have a watermaker. If I had one, I’d likely not use salt water. But so far, it isn’t worth the cost to me.
Old 06-11-2018, 19:22   #43

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
We've been doing all our dishes in saltwater for two years now, and except for Tupperware and cast iron, nothing gets rinsed in fresh....and we (and our dishes) are doing just fine.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 20:14   #44

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
I don't know how common they are, but to me, installing the one I have has been worth every penny and drop of sweat.

Smallish diaphragm pump (12 lts/min, 2 bar, 1 amp), sitting under the galley sink. Took the feed directly from the heads' inlet valve with a T joint.

To make absolutely sure that everything flowed in the right direction, I installed a one-way valve between the inlet and the anti-siphon valve.

Connected the pump to the hot water tap in the galley, and with another T joint, to an extension pipe running to the cockpit.

I now use sea water for everything but drinking, cooking, and personal hygene.

Yes, worth it.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08   #45

Boat: 1974 Stilson 44

Quote:

Our Albin Vega came from the factory with two foot pumps below the galley sink - one for fresh water, one for salt. The salt water pump was gone when we bought the boat. Its dedicated through hull supply hose had been cut, and plugged with a piece of dowel rod.

Doing a complete refit now, I assume I will want to replace it, to conserve the fresh water supply. We will have a watermaker, but watermakers cost amp hours, and every amp hour matters. And our freshwater tank holds only 18 gallons.

I just thought I'd ask around, before going to the trouble and expense of replacing it. Thanks all.
I had one and used it a lot crossing the Atlantic. However, I have spend lots of money and time replacing O-rings, pump and hoses. A bucket would do the same job and saves you time and money installing a pump.
jesperrosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, pump, salt, salt water, water